Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Full time work / part time study - possible?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just been offered a job which is full time (I assume it's 30 hours plus?) and am currently studying with OU. I am also hoping to redo GCSE English in September.

For anyone who does / has done this, is full time work and part time study possible?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    I've just been offered a job which is full time (I assume it's 30 hours plus?) and am currently studying with OU. I am also hoping to redo GCSE English in September.

For anyone who does / has done this, is full time work and part time study possible?

I used to work two jobs, around 20 hours per week, on top of full time study and I survived and did pretty well. It's do-able but hard work.
    Depends what else you're doing with the rest of your life.

Plenty of people do a full time (40+ hour) week at work, with 1.5 hours travel each way on top of that, and have kids to take places and entertain at weekends, and a dog to walk each day before work. At which point part time study on top of full time work could be ambitious.

But if you work near where you live and don't have much else in your life then part time study is easily manageable.
    Yes, OU is designed to work around life.
    Depends what else you're doing with the rest of your life.

Plenty of people do a full time (40+ hour) week at work, with 1.5 hours travel each way on top of that, and have kids to take places and entertain at weekends, and a dog to walk each day before work. At which point part time study on top of full time work could be ambitious.

But if you work near where you live and don't have much else in your life then part time study is easily manageable.

this.. I was at one time, doing 50/60 hours a week at work, army cadet force instructor, had a baby to look after and still did two OU modules at the same time. It's blooming hard but possible.
    I agree with Scary Monster and Hellfire. I work five days a week with day realse to get my accounting qualification. It is hard to fit to study in but a lost of people manage. You need to be able to manage your workload and not overload yourself too much with work/study so you can have some free time to enjoy.
    Thank you. Am not planning on doing much else - but I know when I attended uni full-time last year, I usually came home shattered. However, had no issues like that working full-time at the end of last year.