Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

TEFL or Volunteering

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I have decided, I'd like to get out of the UK next year, for 6 months-2 years... Then come back and resettle in another city. I'm 27 and if I don't do it now, I don't know if I ever will...

I've been thinking about doing TEFL, as I could support myself and learn a language, but there's also the option of something like this, which would mean I could use my degree and do something I know I am really passionate about...

I'll do both eventually, but not sure which I want to do first, as I'm not on a very high income considering I'm in London and need to save. I'm concerned that returning to the UK, I won't be able to get a decent paying job (by which I mean over £7 per hour), so will be living in a different city (I have looked at jobs in other cities, such as Bristol and have found little difference now, in wages).

If I do volunteering, I'll probably try to work for a charity in South Asia, as I am interested in the culture...

I am definitely going next year... But I don't know what to choose... What do other people think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know much about either, so I'm not the best person to ask, but someone from uni went with TEFL to Japan, and is having an amazing time! Have heard other good things about it too, just from overheard conversations etc. So I'd say definately do it, you may get asked if you want to stay after your initial contract so maybe do this second?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Bit late answering this, but since I work in ESL, I might be in a position to comment. One thing to bear in mind is that if you're working in ESL in a poorer country, there are lots of opportunities to do charity work. Most of the big private schools in my city have a charity wing, for example, which encourages teachers to offer their services to local shelters and orphanages, and arranges all the shit associated with that. My friend was lucky enough to mention charity work during her interview at a time that the charity coordinator was leaving, and she was offered the job, which means she now teaches part time and organises the charity stuff the rest of the time. But the other advantage of doing this first is that, depending on the country, and your living style, it gives you a great opportunity to save money for whatever you want to do next.

As for South Asia (by which, I assume you mean India), I'd just stick to the charity work there, unless you want to be stuck teaching call centre staff how to pronounce English places for half of what you can earn in the rest of Asia.