Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Joy of Teen Sex

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We get all the normal advice at school anyway, I think it's good to have a show where teenagers don't have to feel embarrassed about things and can ask what they like. We can't do that in school, because they'll ring our parents and tell them we are having under age sex.

Yeah but not all young people get sex education at school. And even if they do, how good it is can vary massively.

Coming from a TV programme, the information is expected to be trustworthy. But it isn't. And I really think that Channel 4 have a duty to improve what they broadcast.
    it really does vary massively in quality. my OH teaches sex ed in secondary school and he says some of the others in his team are not good at it, it is such a sensitive subject for some people, and some places don't give it at all. Parents can also refuse consent for their kids to take part.

Even if you educate people alot of the time people think it won't happen to them and go without condoms for a variety of reasons and then dont get checked before moving on to new partners - this is true of alot of people, not just teenagers.

I thought that other channel 4 sex ed show that was on awhile back was quite good.

we are now watching the program to see what it's like.
    We get all the normal advice at school anyway, I think it's good to have a show where teenagers don't have to feel embarrassed about things and can ask what they like. We can't do that in school, because they'll ring our parents and tell them we are having under age sex.

But the answers they're giving these people are wrong. Ie. Making people ashamed of not liking to go down on women. Twisting the stories and advice.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/channel-4-criticized-airing-joy-97761
    And a lot more news sites are agreeing.

also.. isn't it 18+ on 4 :p
    :yes:

I think I got it pretty good at my old school. But now I volunteer for an org which goes into schools to teach SRE, and quite a few times I've been shocked at how little some of the school kids know, as its the first time they've seen us and they haven't had much else from their teachers. Equally though, there are the guys/girls who really think they know everything but don't have a clue ;). But it really is great to go into a class with a bunch of really saavy teens. :)

we are now watching the program to see what it's like.

Will be really interested to see what you guys think!

I watch it to prepare myself for the inevitable comments from school kids who will have watched it, so I don't be like "WTF?" ha.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    But the answers they're giving these people are wrong. Ie. Making people ashamed of not liking to go down on women. Twisting the stories and advice.

And saying that girls should "expect" bleeding when they lose their virginity.

A lot on twitter about it all, hashtag #thejoyofteensex if anyone is interested.
    the statistics seem a bit odd - 8/10 teens lose their virginity when on drink or drugs - i thought it would be less than that? by their 16th birthday teenagers average 3 sexual partners?

some of the advice seemed ok but it also seemed to make out that orgies/threesomes were the norm. It didnt seem to offer any advice on STDs but then maybe this was covered in earlier episodes?? i dunno, i know it is called the joy of teen sex but i didnt think there was any reference to being responsible or about being aware of risks of stds or pregnancy, and with there being over 50 strains of STD you would think they would mention condoms at least once??

even if it is just a banner at the bottom of the screen reminding people to be careful it would be better than nothing. it definately seems aimed at older ,more experienced teenagers and i can see how viewing this program could potentially cause issues if viewed by the naive and ignorant.
    The statistics they've used seem to be rather odd, I certainly don't think most teenagers are sexually active at 16. However, other than that I don't really have a massive issue with the programme.

You have to remember that the alternative education for most teenagers is Cum Guzzling Slut Gangbang 8. Kids don't want a lecture about abstinence and trust, they want to know how to do the deed without getting pregnant, getting AIDS or getting laughed at. Talks about trust and relationships have their place, but I think too much store is placed on relationships and not enough is placed on teaching kids how to have fun safely. They know the score about saying no, but sometimes they DO just want to rut. Same as all of us.

However, however, however, I think Channel Four's real target market for this programme was dirty old men watching it one-handed. I think it was too sensationalist and I think a lot of the statistics were misleading to say the least. The whole thing did have a tendency to veer off into fantasises of sixth formers having orgies, which was unhelpful to say the least. I don't have any objections to the content, just the way some of it was delivered.
    The statistics they've used seem to be rather odd, I certainly don't think most teenagers are sexually active at 16. However, other than that I don't really have a massive issue with the programme.

You have to remember that the alternative education for most teenagers is Cum Guzzling Slut Gangbang 8. Kids don't want a lecture about abstinence and trust, they want to know how to do the deed without getting pregnant, getting AIDS or getting laughed at. Talks about trust and relationships have their place, but I think too much store is placed on relationships and not enough is placed on teaching kids how to have fun safely. They know the score about saying no, but sometimes they DO just want to rut. Same as all of us.

However, however, however, I think Channel Four's real target market for this programme was dirty old men watching it one-handed. I think it was too sensationalist and I think a lot of the statistics were misleading to say the least. The whole thing did have a tendency to veer off into fantasises of sixth formers having orgies, which was unhelpful to say the least. I don't have any objections to the content, just the way some of it was delivered.

See... that's all well and good, admittedly I've not seen all of it. But from what I've seen they've not really been promoting safe sex, STDs etc.

I think a lot of it is a load of cock and ball and implies that if you don't have orgies, do anal and oral something is wrong with you.

They chose a poor way to get there message across, and again it comes down to whats better for the ratings.
    As I say, I think some of the TV content veered a bit too much towards the 54-year-old man having a hand shandy. Shame, because the online stuff I've seen is actually really good.

You have to remember that the alternative education for most teenagers is Cum Guzzling Slut Gangbang 8. Kids don't want a lecture about abstinence and trust, they want to know how to do the deed without getting pregnant, getting AIDS or getting laughed at. .

my problem with it is that they don't seem to be covering this at all from what i have heard, certainly not what i've seen, but like i said maybe it was covered in a different episode. If i was a thirteen year old without much experience and low self esteem flicking through channels and came across the episode that i watched i would probably be quite confused by now.
    There was something on twitter where a counsellor(?) said something about how they were counselling someone on something to do with being normal + sex, and TJOTS was something the girl had said had made her feel worse.....
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Seemed fairly good, Wouldn't have minded if it had been on telly a few years back, but what the hey. The one gripe I do have with it though, is the teen "journalist" - she gets right on my tits -.-