Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Heroin

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A friend of mine has been talking off and on now for a while about how nice the effects of heroin are. They've been shooting up for a while, I don't mean like an addict, I mean for recreation. At first I thought they were a bit of a twat cos I know heroin is a hard drug, very very addictive, didn't understand how you could possibly be a "recreational heroin user" since whenever you hear horror stories about drugs, guess which drug is usually named as the problem... heroin.
Just wondering really if anyone here has taken it and what it really makes you feel like? I've done some drugs before but obviously nothing as hard core as heroin. Thing is, been thinking of trying it, and wondering if anyone can give me some good advice (not lectures, advice). Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    everyone starts off taking it recreationally. The vast majority of people then start doing it more often, thinking they can handle it and theyre not getting addicted, then all of a sudden, theyre a sad junkie, and not many people get out of that alive.

I would REALLY avoid your "friend" because it sounds like hes trying to get you involved.

Tbh, anyone whos shooting up has already passed the point of being a recreational user anyway.

Dont worry about what it feels like. Just dont bother with it. Ive known FAR too many people whove got in too deep with that, and its never on purpose.
    Most of them are dead now
  • Options
    Dont worry about what it feels like. Just dont bother with it. Ive known FAR too many people whove got in too deep with that, and its never on purpose.

I wholeheartedly agree. Heroin is a HUGE step up from weed, E, K etc.

The problem with using it 'recreationally', is that a tolerance is built up over time and you will need increasing amounts of heroin in order to feel the same effects and to satisfy the cravings in-between. More and more heroin is needed to get these effects and to avoid unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

Using heroin on a regular basis will lead to an addiction which is extremely difficult to break. What tends to happen is that addicts find that long term use has led to a situation in which they no longer ‘enjoy’ using the drug but need to do so in order to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Their ‘need’ outweighs any other concerns.

Stay.
    Well.
    Clear.
  • Options
    and yes ive tried it, and no its not worth what it does to its users. Not even close.

Thank god i was always more into uppers than downers
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    and yes ive tried it, and no its not worth what it does to its users. Not even close.

Thank god i was always more into uppers than downers

Same story here. :yes:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    i wanted to try it so i do, thought i had a grip using once, twice a week but its never enough. ended doing a few 2-3day binges and left myself wit no money, messed up relationships with family and some friends, relationships take a lot of mending and will never be quite the same..

you stop caring about things and are wrapped in your own bubble untill it wears off then all those none worries hit you like a ton of bricks, hence the craving for more.

best advice i can say is think twice but if your determined to give heroin a shot then good luck its a tough one
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly agree. Heroin is a HUGE step up from weed, E, K etc.
    Sorry to be slightly off-topic, but I wanted to pick up on this point. I know people whose use of ketamine seems a lot like that of heroin. Taking it during the day, sitting around in a stupor. People have thrown their lives away because of it. I don't mean to suggest heroin isn't dangerous - just that ketamine can also be very addictive and damaging.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Stay.
    Well.
    Clear.

Yeah that's what I've always thought to myself too. My friend has just has got me to the point where I'm intrigued, but then I guess it is a slippery path to go down.
  • Options
    Very slippery. In my experience, by the time i want to stop using its already messed me up, leaving me depressed and heartbroken. then i'd get more money and start again. watch what it does to your friend first and then see if your still intrigued, give him/her some time. it may well put you off. i hope so anyway
  • Options
    IMO, Heroin was the answer to all of life's little worries. When I first started using, it made me feel social, motivated and happy. I was a super shy kid with tons of issues and for a time, heroin seemed to solve them all. I seriously wondered what the big deal was with the giant stigma of it. I never fell asleep, or pawned everything. In fact, I had a 4.0 gpa in college and dated a playboy model. Yes oh yes, my life was great.......

you're waiting for the other shoe to drop right?

well pat yourselves on the back. it did.
    After about 3-4 years of doing the stuff, I turned into one of those typical, nodding out track marked up, filthy junkies you see in movies. I let everything go. My life sprialed down further and further and I soon realized that someone had neglected to tell me a few things about opiate abuse. I made a list for you, because i'm friendly.
    1- Withdrawals suck.
    your body will become dependent on ANY opiate no matter how you do it!!! this is super important!!! Anyone who tells you that you can't get hooked on eating vicodin is an idiot. Your body doesn't care how you get them or what kind they are, we all have little things called opiate receptors in our brains and they get rather used to increased doses of opiates. It took me maybe a few weeks to two months or so before i had my first taste of withdrawals and they weren't too bad, about a day or so of discomfort. Now, if i shoot smack 3 days in a row, its a nice 7 days of pure hell and many months before i feel right again. Withdrawals are the worst thing you will ever go through, trust me.

2 Do I really feel ok?
    After the glory that is detox, you will get the next best part of the puzzle. Your brain will always crave opiates. I'm fairly certain that your brain chemistry is permantly altered, well maybe not permanently but it'll be awhile before you stop thinking about how nice it'd be to do some opiates. This tends to throw a bit of a monkeywrench in your personal relationships.
    3- money!
    you spend quite a lot on dope. After awhile your priorites really shift to only scoring dope and most paychecks go to feeding your demon. Plus, when you are finally ready to quit, suboxone is pretty expensive (you get what you pay for IMO).

Now, I know you didn't want anyone to preach to you and i swear i'm not trying to. In fact, if you don't mind the drawbacks, heroin can be your best pal (it'll be your only pal eventually, but eh.)
    Its totally possible to use dope and not get addicted. Especially if you have some measure of self control. No one ever tells you that because the chances are pretty slim for most people. Maybe you're the lucky one?
    I feel that i would of killed myself if i never used heroin, it got me through some of the worst times of my life but, its important to realize how dangerous it can be. I've been hooked on almost every drug except benzos and alcohol and i can safely say that heroin is more difficult to kick than any of them.

If you can, keep an eye on someone who uses the stuff, but don't yourself, see if there are any major behavioral shifts. I bet you'll see a few, most people become monsters pretty quick (3-6 months).

In short, should you try some? probably not. If you do though, keep a close eye on your usage, don't use the stuff for more than 2-3 days in a row.
    i hope that wasn't too preachy.
  • Options
    If you do though, keep a close eye on your usage, don't use the stuff for more than 2-3 days in a row.
    i hope that wasn't too preachy.
    Noone does though, it alwasy seems like its worth it to carry on

Also a problem with that sort of usage, not just of heroin, but any of those sort of drugs , is it seriously reduces your ability to get enjoyment out of normal things anymore.

I wasnt a smack head, but i was seriously seriously into speed for several years, and it just gets to the point where you cant even enjoy a nice sunny day, or food or being with friends, or ANYTHING if you dont have your drug of choice.

I did manage to come off it but im sure even 10 years later im not really the same as i was.

I also used to mix with pretty hardcore drug users and shoot up, so i know more about this than id really like to

Just want to say it again.

PLEASE AVOID
  • Options
    Sorry to be slightly off-topic, but I wanted to pick up on this point. I know people whose use of ketamine seems a lot like that of heroin. Taking it during the day, sitting around in a stupor. People have thrown their lives away because of it. I don't mean to suggest heroin isn't dangerous - just that ketamine can also be very addictive and damaging.

I think you could say that about almost any drug that people use to excess. Research indicates that K does not give rise to physical dependence like that seen with morphine, heroin or alcohol, but it is associated with a powerful psychological addiction like that seen with cocaine. But essentially, you're right. K may may not have been the best example to include. :)
  • Options
    "I wasnt a smack head, but i was seriously seriously into speed for several years, and it just gets to the point where you cant even enjoy a nice sunny day, or food or being with friends, or ANYTHING if you dont have your drug of choice."

I was and you're completely correct. After awhile, life is pointless w/o dope. Btw, you're lucky if you still have friends after a few years of dope abuse.
  • Options
    I've watched far to many people i love ruin their lives with heroin - its really not worth the sadness it causes.

(ohh and there is also the fact that your just giving money to the taliban - that's my ranty bit)
  • Options
    I'm glad I've asked now and bounced the idea off you people! You've given me a bit of clarity so thanks guys (and girls) for the feedback. Don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon, might just let my intregue run on a little longer and try avoiding the peer pressure.

Though from what's been said certainly hope my friend doesn't end up a sad junkie in a few months time :(
  • Options
    Blacksheep wrote: »
    A friend of mine has been talking off and on now for a while about how nice the effects of heroin are. They've been shooting up for a while, I don't mean like an addict, I mean for recreation. At first I thought they were a bit of a twat cos I know heroin is a hard drug, very very addictive, didn't understand how you could possibly be a "recreational heroin user" since whenever you hear horror stories about drugs, guess which drug is usually named as the problem... heroin.
    Just wondering really if anyone here has taken it and what it really makes you feel like? I've done some drugs before but obviously nothing as hard core as heroin. Thing is, been thinking of trying it, and wondering if anyone can give me some good advice (not lectures, advice). Cheers.

Heroin can be taken recreationally without addiction but opiates are seriously addictive, I don't find uppers addictive whatsoever - a high followed by a crash isn't something I want to keep taking and taking - but heroin and opiates generally can really work their way into every day life.

I've smoked heroin on several occasions but for about the last year I've been heavily into prescripion stuff - dihydrocodeine, methadone, tramadol, oxycontin etc. Not addicted - I take breaks with no withdrawals other than having some difficulty getting to sleep for a day or 2 - but I've been pushing it. Most days I take opiates.

My advice is to steer clear, especially if you have an addictive personality. I wouldn't suggest it unless you're heavily into drugs and want to try everything but if you decide to try it, DO NOT INJECT. You really don't want to inject something filthy into your bloodstream, and heroin is a dirty drug. Pharmacutical opiates are obv clean but you really have to watch yourself, both in terms of dosage and dependence.
  • Options
    opiates are nice, but addictive, no matter how you try to change it

ketamines a monster. i was pissin blood and dyin with k cramps for months. i ended up hosptialised several times due to the worst pain ive ever been through, i thought i was dying. anyone who thinks ketamine addiction is a walk in the park has another thing coming :shocking:

i used to jump into scalding hot baths to spread out the pain from the k cramps. and it worked. it was like being stabbed deeply in the abdomen. naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty :no:
  • Options
    Blacksheep wrote: »

I am blown away by your post to be completely honestwith you. I would direct you to the post i have made in the subutex thread. There is absoloutly NO recreational heroin use. Anyone who tells you different is completely full of shit (and probably addicted themselves). my advice is this my friend,:

I like you was tempted to try and did, smoked. It was the most fantastic and euphoric feeling id ever had, better than sex ( well almost, ya know what im sayin). Before i knew it, it was six weeks later, I looked like shit, felt like shit, and had terrible withdrawals every morning till i scored. I got off heroin in 6 months, but had an eight year battle with opiate medication as a result. Mate, its a fukin nightmare from which very few escape. I guarantee that try once, and prepare to test your character and mental strength to its absoloute limits, with no guarantee of winning. Try it, you may not continuwe with heroin, but the whole opiate avenue will have you on it! Its evil. I packed the methadone treatment in 16 days ago, and apart from strugglin to sleep, im almost there. Was it worth it? what do you think? My god, if i can help one person avoid my tragedy, please please let it be you. No lecture, but you have been warned. Your BETTER than that! Good luck dude and peace man ;)