Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My big fat gypsy wedding

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone else been watching it at all?

I've found it really interesting, but in a kind of cultural education type way. Hadn't really put much thought into the topic before, but I find the different culture and life style really surprising.

I know this will probably come across as racist in a way, but I guess one of the reasons the culture difference seems so striking is that at first you think they're kind of the same as the rest of us, just live in trailers, and I'd guess being white probably has something to do with that.

Striking wedding cakes though, there's a good business to get into if you're into cake making.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Striking wedding cakes though, there's a good business to get into if you're into cake making.

:yes: I thought that.

I've watched it till now, but not sure if I'll watch the next one as it seems to be pretty repetitive and one-sided in its perspective.

Some interesting comments from a BBC article:
    Helena Kiely, a 22-year-old Irish Traveller who spent her childhood on local authority-run encampments around east London and now works as a youth adviser at the London Gypsy and Traveller Unit, says in the Guardian that it doesn't take much to bolster crude stereotypes. For her, the accent on frills and flouncing is a missed opportunity to show contemporary Traveller culture as it really is.

Ms Kiely is not alone as the Travellers' Times is leading protests about the show aimed at the communications watchdog Ofcom. The publication is arguing the programme is not only inaccurate but also "misleads the audience and leads to harm and offence".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12311604
  • Options
    I've been watching it - out of curiosity really as i grew up in an area with the largest gypsy population in europe - but we didn't really know that much about them as the children hardly ever went to school or integrate into society - but in general the gypsy's had a better reputation than other sections of society.

And because one of my really close friends is married to a gypsy - but she didn't have a giant wedding dress sadly (she didn't realise it was a requirement!). Her in-laws do all seem to have giant numbers of children though but they do all now live in houses.

However i think that they are really only focusing on Irish travellers rather than Romanies which i find a little one sided - but i guess the thing is that the journalistic team clearly had an in to the community through the dress maker which is why they are focusing on the dresses - the cakes were brilliant as well though.

I am kind of interested in seeing the male perspective next week - i'd also be interested in seeing a follow up on what happened to the young couples who we saw getting married.
  • Options
    they seem to really focus on the apparent tackiness by non-gypsy standards, with not much mention of the crime problems. They did touch on the lack of education they allow their children though, which i think is a major problem, and probably why there IS such a huge crime problem amongst the men, and why the women are little more than house slaves from a young age.
    Obviously this isnt all, but too high a percentage
  • Options
    we had a gypsey man come and talk to us about barriers gypseys face in education and stuff and it was super interesting. dont know about crime though but they do seem to have alot of money
  • Options
    I didn't watch it on principle. I got the feeling that it was tabloid TV and everything I have seen reported about it in the "bigot" press has just confirmed it.

A serious programme about this community and the issue they face - from their perspective - would be a huge educational benefit IMHO. When you talk to this community it's striking how different their approach is on many issues and how/why this leads to conflict becomes much more apparent.
  • Options
    I know a few gypsies, having spent most my youth working at festivals, and most of them are really lovely. Although, the two I am good friends with are 15 and 16 now and neither know their alphabet.

And, as for gypsies and money, because they don't have to pay tax they have quite a bit more. I don't think I've met a traveller who commits crime for their money. Not all of them have as much as those in the show though. x
  • Options
    Last nights was the first one I've watched, and while it's definitely no documentary, if you take it all with a pinch of salt I reckon it's got the potential to be pretty educational. Particularly as it's the only thing I've even vaguely come across.

Yes, there's a crime problem, yes, there's an education problem, yes, there's a suppression of women problem, but some of that actually comes across in the programme. Or at least the background causes for it.

As I understand it Romany gypsys and irish traveller gypsies have a very different culture so I wouldn't really expect the programme to mix up the two.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    And, as for gypsies and money, because they don't have to pay tax they have quite a bit more.

They do pay taxes.

Within 8 miles we have to fixed sites. I grew up with many of them and went to school with many of them. Some of my closest mates are Roma.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    They do pay taxes.

None of the ones I know do, nor do the ones my dad knows. But hey ho.
  • Options
    ...although, my mates move between countries if that makes a difference?
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    They do pay taxes.

Within 8 miles we have to fixed sites. I grew up with many of them and went to school with many of them. Some of my closest mates are Roma.

I don't know much about it but arent there Romany gypsies and Irish travellers? two different things?

The programme is sensationalist rubbish as far as I can tell but I watched it last night. The wedding cakes and dresses are mental! :D
  • Options
    I find it all pretty disturbing tbh, it seems these girls focus all their happiness on their wedding day as it's the only day they'll get treated and feel like a princess. I'm also descended from irish travellers so I'm certainly glad someone along my family tree decided to branch away from it. :nervous: