Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

citalopram pills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey everyone
i see a few people are on citalopram like me and it seems to help them also, i was feeling very depressed and tearful before but now they control my emotions a bit which is good, i am on them because i have suffered a great loss in the past year and finding it very hard to come to terms with it, nice there are others on here that i can talk to. be nice to hear from others..

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I take citalopram. It's good although I still get depressed (like any anti-depressant). I don't get side effects. Definately better with it than without it.
    I take them. They have made one hell of a difference to my life.

Still can't sleep very well though :(
    i'm on citalopram at the moment. been taking various SSRIs for over seven years. i'm getting on ok with them but have more side effects from these than others i've taken. mainly that they make me really drowsy but don't help me sleep. i took citalopram a few years ago and didn't get any benefit from it but doing a bit better this time.
    i had trouble sleeping as well for quite a while, was diagnosed with SAD but recently i've been sleeping better- so that's one improvement! how come you are on citalopram? good to see they help others too, what ages are you? im 20 but started taking them when i was 19 , at first doc didn't wanna give me them and i do a quiz each time i go.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I'm currently on citalopram, 40mg. I found them to be very useful, and thought I was well enough to come off them (seemingly not) but as OMG Hi said, they make me drowsy! Currently being on 20mg is an eye opener; I have (so) much more energy, I'm not looking forward to going back up. Benefits vs. Negatives :/
    i had trouble sleeping as well for quite a while, was diagnosed with SAD but recently i've been sleeping better- so that's one improvement! how come you are on citalopram? good to see they help others too, what ages are you? im 20 but started taking them when i was 19 , at first doc didn't wanna give me them and i do a quiz each time i go.

i'm 21. been on anti-depressants since i was 14. i'm not pleased about it, but every time i've come off them i've been worse. been on citalopram for about six months, before that i was on sertraline, before that citalopram, before that prozac. it's treatment for my GAD, depression, ED and BPD (questionably). i think it's quite a good AD to be honest, a lot of people seem to get on well with it. for me i find that it takes the edge off my extreme emotions a little bit. i still feel really depressed and anxious but slightly less than when i don't take them.

it's a good idea that you get regular reviews and hopefully it will only be a temporary measure. are you having any counselling or anything?
    ahh so your similar age to me then, you have been on them for quite a long time then. i found i was worse when i came off them yeah but can't be on them forever.. i want councelling but not sure how good the uni is, will have to ring and maybe make an appointment , you ever had any?
    I seem to be the odd one out here but I have found that citalopram does very little for me aside from making me really sleepy. Ive been on them for about three months now and havent noticed a bit of difference.
    shame they have not done anything for you! hope others will, guess everyone is different and some pills work better than others.
    Yeah thats what Im hoping. Its good to hear that everyone else is getting on well with them though.
    ahh so your similar age to me then, you have been on them for quite a long time then. i found i was worse when i came off them yeah but can't be on them forever.. i want councelling but not sure how good the uni is, will have to ring and maybe make an appointment , you ever had any?

i've never had counselling but i've had various forms of psychotherapy.

it might be a good idea to email your uni counselling service and ask for an appointment, i'm sure they could help you. medication won't make everything better unless your problem is purely caused by your brain chemistry. if you give counselling a go and it isn't for you then at least you'll have tried. but if you don't then you'll never know.
    I seem to be the odd one out here but I have found that citalopram does very little for me aside from making me really sleepy. Ive been on them for about three months now and havent noticed a bit of difference.

i didn't get anything out of citalopram the first time i took it either. i'm not getting a huge amount out of it this time to be honest but it's better than nothing.

speak to your doctor next time you go for a review, you might need an increase or a change.
    yeah true i have nothing to lose with the councelling and maybe they have experienced it themselves, i find it helps to talk to people about it, makes me cry sometimes tho, i talk to my best mate bout it mostly but be good 2 talk to a professional as well i guess! will see if the 20mg will b any different with the dose being slightly higher.. do u feel ur not as teary and emotional when on the pills?
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Personally, I'd say anything and everything is worth trying (within reason...).

I haven't been able to cry since going onto Citalopram. Saved my butt in many situations but can also be frustrating!
    i still can cry but i'm not as emotional which is good which i needed cos been through a very hard ordeal , got through alot , everyone says how strong i am but was really bad when i came off my pills, didn't see how i could get from one day to the next but now things are looking up, got a part time job which i wanted for ages, more occupied with uni so therefore going out more and not thinkin bout it as much so much better in that respect!
    i wouldn't worry about crying, they see it all the time :)
    hiiya im not on any pills coz im young the say i see two councillors and i fink they help me a bit u should try coulselling it works slowly i fink i does help a lot well helps me xx :)
    cheers 4 ur advice :) i find talkin on here is good cos i can talk to people about it and u all seem pretty open and maybe are going through a similar situation!
    cheers 4 ur advice :) i find talkin on here is good cos i can talk to people about it and u all seem pretty open and maybe are going through a similar situation!

anyone else fancy talkin bout it?