Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

School Nurse Confidentiality?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've finally agreed to voluntry go and see the school nurse sometime soon to try and sort myself out, I really just want to tell the complete truth of whats going on with myself - But I want to know the limits before things have to be passed on etc? Or is this different with the nurse?
I am kind of confussed with the whole confidentiality thing,
I'm 16 if that makes any difference?
To what extent can I tell her something and it being passed on to my parents? I know 'If they feel like I'm at risk to myself or others' then things will be different, but what exactly is it meant by risk?

Just want to know how much I can say without anyone else being involved :) Thank you.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This should be completely confidential.
    It depends on what you're wanting to ask her and tell her. If you tell her things that indicate you're at risk, or other people are at risk, then she has to tell her bosses regardless of your age. That doesn't mean (and often doesn't mean) that your parents will be told.

You'd be best off asking her what she would disclose and what she wouldn't. Disclosure of self harm or suicidal feelings may well require her to disclose to her line manager, and for them to consider all the issues before deciding who to tell.

Regardless of that, if you specifically tell them not to disclose to your parents then they shouldn't do so.
    As a 16 year old then she cannot talk to your parents without your consent. You are now considered an adult in that regard.

As Arctic Roll suggests, if you are threatening your own life, or lives of others then she might breach confidentiality so it's worth following his suggestion if that is what you are likely to tell her.
    I've seen her twice before (But these were organised by the teacher i told and the child protection people..)
    The first one was about SH..
    The second was about 'eating problems' :|

But I was never completely truthful in everything she asked me, so this time I want to try and be.. One of the main things I'd like to talk about is someting a bit more extreme them SH... just don't want the information passed any further

But I will ask her about what she can disclose and what she has to pass on
    Hi Bleepy:wave: ,

Well done for taking the step to go and talk things over with your school nurse !

Here is the information you are looking for -

" The duty of confidentiality owed by a
    nurse or doctor to young people under
    16 is as great as the duty they owe to
    any other person (NMC, 2002). School
    nurses must respect an explicit request
    from these clients that information
    should not be disclosed to particular
    people, except in exceptional
    circumstances – for example, when
    a nurse believes that a young person
    is being abused or exploited ".

I hope thats ok.

Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Take care.
    B:wave:
    I saw her today, after a really shitty week and even shittier day.
    The basic stuff she said to me was basicly I had 3 options,

I could go down to my doctors (and ask for a different doctor as last time I went he was so unhelpful to me) and explain how I'm feeling and they could give me some medication (She said not necessarily AD, but stuff to 'relax' me and help me sleep - which I thought was a bit dodgy to say?)

I could try the counselling route again and she said they can come into schools so I don't have to get the train to go in to town

Or she could put in a referall for CAMHs... which I think is a bit extreme, and I wouldn't be able to get there because it's around 30 minutes from the train station (which I don't mind) but it's meant to be a mission to get there and I've told her I refuse to do anything that involves my parents being involved - even if it's just giving me a lift there.

I basicly told her how I need everything to be sorted because it's just to much for me and it's getting worse - said about how I feel, constantly down all the time (which has been going on for over a year now and I'm sick of faking being 'happy' - but I didn't say how long it's being going on for, just how I always feel down)
    And that was basicly all I said because she was telling me the dangers if I don't eat or drink enough...

But I don't know what to do because I've tried 'talking' and it doesn't help because I can't be 100% truthful and I never say what I want to say and walk away thinking 'I should of said that'

But I'm desperate for it to be sorted now I really am struggling with all this shit going on. It's also my last year and that means Prom, which I would like to go to - but I'm coming to realise I can't now because of my freaking arms :(

Sorry for the lengthy post.. Just really want help now..
    Well how about going to the doctors and giving counseling another go, at least as a starting point. The doctor could do a better job of explaining the medication options than the nurse did as they are better positioned to work out what's suitable. There are medication type options that may help that aren't anti depressants though.
    are you worried about prom coz you have scars on your arms or is it another reason? there is makeup you can get to cover scars.
    are you worried about prom coz you have scars on your arms or is it another reason? there is makeup you can get to cover scars.
    The make up isn't great over certain types of scar tissue, it doesn't work for me.

I went to my school leavers' dance with my arms exposed, which I don't regret, but you should always be comfortable. It's worth spending time looking for a nice shrug or cardigan if that will take the pressure off.

Good luck. It's the hardest thing in the world to seek help but in the long run it will make life easier.

I would say that it's worth asking your doctor for a referral to the CAMHS. The referrals take a very long time to happen (2-3 months at least in most areas) and you can always cancel it. It's not drastic at all, it's probably exactly what you need if counselling wasn't enough in the past, and they are best placed to evaluate your needs and care for you.

It's not your responsibility to make professionals' lives easier. Try to look after yourself if you can. *hug*
    are you worried about prom coz you have scars on your arms.
    Yuup, some will have healed but others wont and I've made a bit of a mess - but the Dress I've seen and am in :heart: with comes with a bolero cardigan type thing, but just wearing that will look a bit weird as no one else will be wearing long sleeved or anything..
    piccolo wrote: »
    I would say that it's worth asking your doctor for a referral to the CAMHS. The referrals take a very long time to happen (2-3 months at least in most areas) and you can always cancel it. It's not drastic at all, it's probably exactly what you need if counselling wasn't enough in the past, and they are best placed to evaluate your needs and care for you.

I'll keep on thinking about it, but it's just building up the courage to go.
    If I actually made an appointment to go to the Doctor I would most likely actually go if I did the first step.. It's just finding the courage to do it by myself becuase I do want someone just to come with me so I HAVE to go, but my parents are an absolute no as I can't cope with it when they try and talk to me about it and the only other people that know is a teacher and 3 other people who work at the school so I cant exactly have someone with me...

But I'll continue to think about it and try and talk it over with my 'mentor' again :)
    bleepy wrote: »
    I'll keep on thinking about it, but it's just building up the courage to go.
    If I actually made an appointment to go to the Doctor I would most likely actually go if I did the first step.. It's just finding the courage to do it by myself becuase I do want someone just to come with me so I HAVE to go.
    I had a friend who came with me. Not into the appointment, just frog-marched me to the surgery. It did help. It was a long time before I told my parents.
    I had a friend who came with me.

I dont have a friend I trust enough to take me down, there would only be one person I'd only go with but I cant go with them.. Just need them to push me to do it and I could try go alone
    I dont have a friend I trust enough to take me down, there would only be one person I'd only go with but I cant go with them.. Just need them to push me to do it and I could try go alone
    Could you get them to phone you and talk you through the walk/bus journey?
    Could you get them to phone you and talk you through the walk/bus journey?

Not really because it's the teacher I've told it all to because she knows pretty much all of it.. When I next talk to her I'll talk to her about going and she'll attempt to force me to go..

Just realising today that it's really taking over and ruining everything for me and I really want it to sort out
    Just realising today that it's really taking over and ruining everything for me and I really want it to sort out
    Maybe she'll sit with you whilst you call the surgery over lunch time or something.

Sometimes just committing to someone else that you will do it is enough to make you go. I know it doesn't always feel like it's worth doing for you so the impetus that you might 'let someone down' if you don't go can help.

I'm glad you're keen to sort it though, good luck again.