Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My coworkers are ostracizing me. When will they come back?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe cos they is family innit
  • Options
    I'd like to know hoe come my family is more tolerant of that behavior than other ppl. My family didn't ostracize me.
    Do they talk to you about it? Is it possible that your family experience the same sort of ostracism if you've learned this behaviour from them?

I don't know you or your family, I'm just wondering. It's good that you're getting psychiatric help, if only because it will stop you from feeling initial rejection so keenly which will then minimise the risk of behaving in a way that will make people ostracise you
  • Options
    I'd like to know hoe come my family is more tolerant of that behavior than other ppl. My family didn't ostracize me.

Because your family don't have a choice perhaps.

Seriously, you treat people like shit and wonder why they won't talk to you?

You need to really think about your behaviour at work, just because your family have to live with it, you really should get over this idea that your co-workers have to.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Do they talk to you about it? Is it possible that your family experience the same sort of ostracism if you've learned this behaviour from them?

I don't know you or your family, I'm just wondering. It's good that you're getting psychiatric help, if only because it will stop you from feeling initial rejection so keenly which will then minimise the risk of behaving in a way that will make people ostracise you

My family treat ppl nice. They act normal. Both of which have not applied to me so far. That's y I asked lol
  • Options
    I forgot to say that the only time I ever behaved myself is when I don't run into ppl who don't like me. Like the first 4 months at McD's, I didn't even know Kyra hated me, so I did good w/o effort. For 3 more months after that, I also behaved myself, but w/ effort bc I found out Kyra don't like me. When I was doing good, I earned my raise and got cited for teamwork. Customers also complimented my service. Then, well...

And at school, b4 I met Jessica, I behaved myself. Those who saw me b4 and after I met Jessica commented on how totally different I became (i.e. worse.)

And at my very first job (Goody's) I never met a person who didn't like me, so I behaved the whole year I was there. My supervisor gave me good reference for my next job and I got awarded for customer service for April 2008. Unfortunately, it closed :(
  • Options
    Sorry I'm bumping this, but I think what I'm about to say is most related to this post. Is dyke a bad word to use at work or in general? I can't tolerate even ONE person disliking me, so when someone don't, I do what it takes to change that even if it meant hurting other people. At work, everyone talked to me but Kyra. That really sucked when Kyra didn't like me from DAY 1. So one day, I spent a whole hour begging her and paying her money. She became increasingly annoyed and management tried to explain to me that not everyone's gonna like me. Kyra's just hard to get along with and the more I pressure her, the more she won't like me. Crap like that.

Finally, I was just so angry. I purposely embarrassed the store by shouting, "If Kyra won't play with me, I want my mommy!" A manager's 9 y/o son asked his mother if she was sure I worked there. Did I succeed in embarrassing the store?

The next day, the store manager told me she can't have me behaving like that. If she didn't know the 2 of us, she's think I'm in love with Kyra.
    Me: I'm not a dyke!
    Another coworker: She didn't mean you.
    Me: Do not call my friend Kyra a dyke!
    Everyone was looking at us. I was wondering if I were in the wrong on that one. And I'm looking for good answers thanks.
  • Options
    Dyke is, I think, a bad word to use.

I think you need some anger management classes or something.
  • Options
    This thread is sounding very trollish. You already know the answers to your ridiculous questions.
  • Options
    You keep on going over the same things over and over, its not just anger management you need help with, you need to see a doctor about potentially deep routed behavioural issues.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    This thread is sounding very trollish. You already know the answers to your ridiculous questions.

I only wanna know if dyke is a bad word. As for what I described above, yes I know what I did was very wrong.
  • Options
    Yes. Dyke is basically the same as using fag, queer. Not always bad, but not many people like to hear it.
  • Options
    I only wanna know if dyke is a bad word. As for what I described above, yes I know what I did was very wrong.

Yes, at work it is wrong to use the word 'dyke' like that. To say, defensively, "I am not a dyke!" implies that you have issues with gay people, as well, which could be taken amiss by a coworker who is gay.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Yes, at work it is wrong to use the word 'dyke' like that. To say, defensively, "I am not a dyke!" implies that you have issues with gay people, as well, which could be taken amiss by a coworker who is gay.

Well, my boss seemed to be calling me a dyke lol.
  • Options

She didn't use the word dyke (and if you don't understand that it's offensive you should really avoid using it as well).
  • Options

Sigh.
  • Options
    Is she or is she not? THis is a serious question.
  • Options
    Is she or is she not? THis is a serious question.
    Is she or is she not what?
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey Stoned_Angel :wave:

As the others have said it's never a good idea to use words that will or could cause other people offense especially at work. As far as I understand you work in customer services too, so it is recommended not to swear or offend people as this will not give a good reputation to the place that you work. 'Dyke' is commonly considered to be a derogatory word, so as Piccolo and JavaKrypt have said it's probably best not to use that word again.

It sounds like you have had quite a lot of problems at work recently and have mentioned Kyra quite a few times. If you cannot work out your differences with Kyra or put them to one side whilst you are working then it is understandable that your manager will want to speak to your about your behaviour. You also mentioned that you intentionally tried to embarrass the store, which your manager will definitely not like.

I guess you do not want to lose your job, so perhaps it's worth speaking to Kyra about how you two can work together or speak to your manager about this and see whether she could help e.g. put you on different shifts? You said you have tried to pay Kyra to be your friend. We can't force people to like us, sometimes we have to accept we don't get on with certain people and spend more time with the people we do like. Paying someone for friendship isn't really advisable as you will end up out of pocket and with someone who may only like you for your money.

We are not sure what you mean by 'Is she or is she not' but it's likely we can't answer as we don't know the situation or the people in it, but please do be more specific if you can and we can try to help.

Hope things start to look up for you at work,
    LauraO
  • Options
    *Lea* wrote: »
    Is she or is she not what?

Calling me a lesbian?
  • Options
    LauraO, I was referring to the job I had at McD's a year ago. I was just adding more details to the original post. I haven't been able to find a job since I quit that one.
  • Options
    Hey again Stoned_Angel,

Ahhh sorry I got the wrong end of the stick and thought you were working there again.

Maybe it's best not to dwell on the past then and look to the future instead? We don't know exactly what she meant by what she said, but if you didn't bring it up at the time perhaps it's best now to forget about it and move forward, what do you think?

How's the search going for a new job?

LauraO
  • Options
    LauraO wrote: »
    Hey again Stoned_Angel,

Ahhh sorry I got the wrong end of the stick and thought you were working there again.

Maybe it's best not to dwell on the past then and look to the future instead? We don't know exactly what she meant by what she said, but if you didn't bring it up at the time perhaps it's best now to forget about it and move forward, what do you think?

How's the search going for a new job?

LauraO

Interview today at Target. I hope I get it.
  • Options
    Interview today at Target. I hope I get it.

Good luck :thumb: hope it goes well, let us know how you get along!
  • Options
    If you do get the job, learn from your experience and don't make the same mistakes.
  • Options
    JanePerson wrote: »
    If you do get the job, learn from your experience and don't make the same mistakes.

Amen to that
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me why those who used to talk to me ended up ostracizing me? When will they come back?

Poison comes from words at the top and spread in a department like cancer- any workplace
  • Options
    SO! Some updates since my last post. Kyra gave a coupla coworkers christmas presents recently when she wouldn't even accept mine last yr (2010.) Then she attended a coworker's graduation ceremony. Now that's gotta hurt, esp when she wanted nothing to do with me.
  • Options
    She wanted nothing to do with you because of the way you have acted towards her. Her going to something to do with another coworker is well within her rights, probably she did it because the person in question isnt obsessive like you are.
  • Options
    I'm starting to like this Kyra person
  • Options
    I'm starting to like this Kyra person

She seems to be a darling doesn't she :)