Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Discussion boards upgrade

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there :wave:

Here at TheSite Towers we've started work on upgrading our current forum software to a new version (vbulletin 4). The new version will help us to make the boards a safer place than ever before and also allow us to keep up to date with other changes, for example, the task of making the boards more accessible on mobile as well as enabling some handy new tools like YouTube embedding.

We hope that by showing you some screenshots of what we're working on and asking you to think about some of the new functionality, we can make sure that the upgrade goes as smoothly as possible and that you guys like what comes next :)

You may remember the thread we started about what styles you currently use: http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=144759 If you haven't replied yet then take a look and let us know which style you use. This will help us to make sure we recreate the ones you like in the new version.

To begin with, we've started to create the default and most popular style 'Red Revolution'. Take a look at the first attachment to this post for a sneek peek.

This is still a work in progress but hopefully it gives you a feel for what's to come. As you can see, one of the main differences is the icon on the left hand side – in this screen shot it's the grey box with the speech bubble inside.

You'll see this more clearly when you go in to a forum - envelopes are used to show threads that have new replies, closed threads, moved threads etc. - take a look at the second attachment called 'Icons'.

What do you think of the icons? Do you like them? If not, what would you like to see?

As we continue working on this, thee'll be plenty of things that we'd like to get your opinions on. For example, some of the things that we could add in to the new version would be:

Groups – set up public and private groups where you can then invite people to join and have discussions on the group page. For example for all the knitters out there we could create a Knitting group

Friends and contacts - use profile privacy settings to customize who sees what on your profile – a bit like facebook

Tagging – allows you to tag threads with key words and search the forum using tags

Albums – adding photo albums to your profile

Can you think of any potential benefits or issues around these additions?

It would be good to get an idea if you have any initial reactions or thoughts at this early stage. If you're interested in getting further involved drop me a PM and we can get in touch down the line when this becomes possible. We're hoping to let some of you have a go with the new software before it goes live, at the moment that's planned for around April this year.

Looking forward to your thoughts! :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    I like the index, but the icons are a bit big, I think.
  • Options
    So long as you still have the "new posts" thing, then it's all good :) I never go through the forums, I just look at the new posts... so if that goes, I'll be all lost :eek: x
  • Options
    Me like very much. In me old age big icons is good :)
  • Options
    So long as you still have the "new posts" thing, then it's all good :) I never go through the forums, I just look at the new posts... so if that goes, I'll be all lost :eek: x

:yes:
  • Options
    on the RRindex pic - last post in anything goes is by JimV last march! My my you have been working on this a while!
  • Options
    Agree with franki, the icons are too big.

Also, welcome to 21st Century with youtube embedding
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    dont change it too much. dont fuck with something that already works.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    MoK wrote: »

Also, welcome to 21st Century with youtube embedding

:d
  • Options
    Yeah i like it :) Nice and easy on the eye, good work!
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Yeah i like it :) Nice and easy on the eye, good work!

:yes:
    I like it and the size of the icons are fine.
  • Options
    I like the size of the icons, i don't need to wear my glasses hehe, oh and i really like the groups idea, but why would some groups be 'private'?
  • Options
    Icons are a wee bit big, but apart from that it looks good. Mobile content would be fantastic, I likwe reading the boards on the bus to work but the forums sometimes make my smartphone crash.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Me like very much. In me old age big icons is good :)
    So, you like big icons, do you? :D
  • Options
    looks good to me :)
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    I like the size of the icons, i don't need to wear my glasses hehe, oh and i really like the groups idea, but why would some groups be 'private'?

We have the option to decide what kind of groups we'd like or if we want them at all. Our feeling is that we wouldn't want private groups but it's something we need to consider.. :chin:
  • Options
    See attached a version with smaller icons - what do people think?

This is in the 'You Mook' style :)