Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Borderline/Bi Polar

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So. I was diagnosed with depression many years ago and then a few years they said it was borderline. Well now I'm in a major episode and I've been talking about it with my therapist and doctor and its come around to they think I'm bi polar. A lot of this makes sense to me. But what are the differences between the two? I've been reading up on it and I can see my symptoms more related to bi polar, but I don't want to be self diagnosing but at the same time I am struggling and trying to pin point how to get back on track. My doctors prescribed me back on mood stabilisers today so we'll see how that goes.
Back to my point, whats the main differences in bpd and biploar? Experiences?
Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sorry dear it's me again :p

on the most basic level, the difference between a mood disorder and a personality disorder is that mood disorders are classified on Axis 1 on the DSM and personality disorders are classified on Axis 2. Axis 1 conditions are 'conditions' that need treatment, and that tend to be acute or episodic. Axis 2 disorders are more enduring and tend to persist much longer. maybe a bit contraversially, disorders like bipolar can be considered illnesses that get bad, are treated and are then overcome, with the possiblity of relapses. personality disorders affect the way you behave and the signs can be noticeable even when the person is 'well'.

a person may be diagnosed with bipolar if they are currently depressed with a history of mania or currently manic with a history of depression. the onset is often sudden and the first episode is often mania, but not always. usually there is a break of 'normal mood' inbetween depression and mania. bipolar is very much a cyclic illness, and the cycles can be slower or more rapid. usually people are treated and get better from their current episode, and can maintain some degree of stability. some people with bipolar never have another episode and some have many. also might be worth mentioning that if you do have bipolar, it's pretty much known to be caused by brain chemistry, so not being on medication would explain your bad patch.

talk it over more with your doctor when you see them next. diagnosis is in one way terrifying and in other ways reassuring. what's more important is that you get better x
    Basically what she said.

It does show, yet again, that BPD is a very controversial diagnosis though. I think it is often used when, basically, they have no idea what else is wrong with a person.

In my case I think a BPD diagnosis is correct, but hey ho.
    I think this girls blog is fantastic and offers a real insight into Bipolar disorder: http://thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive.wordpress.com/
    Also, some people view bipolar as a spectrum on which most people with BPD fall.
    thanks guys its been really helpful to read that.
    i always disagreed with me being BPD and the more I'm reading the more bi polar is sounding more accurate.
    pills are making me a little wobbly but im determined to stick it out!
    its all just taking it in because i just presumed i was depressed and fine whereas now im identifying afterwards with the fineness being more like mania.
    but yes working through it.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought borderline was about forming intense relationships and fearing rejection as well as acting / feeling suicidal and carrying out ways to hurt yourself; and I thought that bipolar was just having extreme mood swings of feeling up and down; and depression was just feeling down??? - so thats the difference between the 3.
    Blacksheep wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought borderline was about forming intense relationships and fearing rejection as well as acting / feeling suicidal and carrying out ways to hurt yourself; and I thought that bipolar was just having extreme mood swings of feeling up and down; and depression was just feeling down??? - so thats the difference between the 3.
    It's a lot more complicated than that. To oversimplify, because rejection or hurt can be perceived very easily by a Borderline person, they often have very intense mood swings, so there is a correlation between the way the two conditions are acted out.

Wikipedia is actually very good, and well-referenced on BPD and has a section on how it relates to bipolar.
    Yeah but I was trying to simplify it to the extreme basics.
    There are too many labels imo, not sure sticking a label on anyone is all together that helpful. At the end of the day you are what you are. Accept it and be done. :)
    I disagree that there are too many labels, and saying "just accept who you are and be done with it" is so unhelpful as to be offensive.

Different conditions and different personality disorders require very different treatments and the diagnosis process is very important in understanding what treatments will work.

What treatments work for me as a borderline will be very different for someone with bipolar or schizophrenia, for example. And the treatments I need are ones that teach me how to accept myself.