Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Virgin Media

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

So I'm with VM and have the XL package with the V+ HD Box. The V+ box is downstairs, on the main TV that my brother uses. He can only use the HDMI (for V+) when he is not using the PC, because when he uses the PC he uses PIP, so he uses the TV's built in Freeview to watch TV (in the other overlayed picture) while having the PC displayed through the other HDMI port.

The problem is, I'm going to be upstairs, and I'm wondering how to get the V+ box working upstairs and downstairs periodically so I can also use the V+? Currently I have to stream or download any TV I want to watch because we can't both use the V+ box.

The TV upstairs I'll be using will be just the TV (and consoles).

What do I need to ask Virgin for, another line upstairs? Another V+ box?

Comments

• Options
    This was the issue when we went from Sky to Virgin. With Sky, you can use the 'magic eye' but with the V+ box, if you use HDMI for HD, it cancels out the SCART. I had to go with an extra box in my bedroom in the end.
  • Options
    Yeah been reading about that. Don't fancy paying more out to rent another box from Virgin to watch TV. I've read though that the new V+ boxes don't cancel out the scart because they are Panasonic and not Atlantic.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Yeah been reading about that. Don't fancy paying more out to rent another box from Virgin to watch TV. I've read though that the new V+ boxes don't cancel out the scart because they are Panasonic and not Atlantic.
    Had a quick look on eBay, it seems you can get a V+ box for £10-20.
  • Options
    Ah yeah, I'll see with some testing if it's true that you can use the HDMI and SCART with the Samsung ones, because there isn't much proof over it. Since I'm using the Samsung one.

edit: Actually doesn't seem worth buying one off eBay. I'd still have to pay the activation charge for the box, which, currently is £99.95. What a rip off.
  • Options
    Can you get them hacked/chipped?
  • Options
    I know someone locally who could do the old ones but not sure of the Samsung ones, but once Virgin update their cards, it'd be a door stop. So it would still be money down the drain.

I might call them and play the whole "I'm leaving, never had this problem with Sky" (Though I've never been a customer, hah), that's how I got everything I have for pennies. I'll see how that goes. :)
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I know someone locally who could do the old ones but not sure of the Samsung ones, but once Virgin update their cards, it'd be a door stop. So it would still be money down the drain.

I might call them and play the whole "I'm leaving, never had this problem with Sky" (Though I've never been a customer, hah), that's how I got everything I have for pennies. I'll see how that goes. :)

There is no way to chip any kind of box at the moment they have all been cancelled out all over the UK. Only box that does work is a Kryptview which you need to use your internet connection to act as a server of some sort.

The older SA V+ boxes have a RF out on the back however you can't even use this whilst running in HD, hense why they no longer put them on the newer boxes. Only other proper way is to actually obtain an additional box off VM.
  • Options
    Yeah, read about all that. Phoned them up and they can swivel. Ridiculous prices. £150 minimum for the first month inc. the box and installation and the first months subscription. Then £5.60 each month for that box.
  • Options
    Yeah, read about all that. Phoned them up and they can swivel. Ridiculous prices. £150 minimum for the first month inc. the box and installation and the first months subscription. Then £5.60 each month for that box.

:confused: don't know what price you was quoted
  • Options
    The prices they list on their website.

£99.95 for the V+ Box.
    £40 for installation.
    £5.60 for the first month, then £5.60 for each month thereafter.
  • Options
    The prices they list on their website.

£99.95 for the V+ Box.
    £40 for installation.
    £5.60 for the first month, then £5.60 for each month thereafter.

They have to split the cable at the wall and then run it to the second room. No reason why you couldn't do it yourself though. It's just normal aerial cable.
  • Options

My dad's first year contact comes to an end in March. Sky's last mailshot said we could have anything on Sky for half price for a year if we went back. Do you think we could wangle something out of Virgin? Have you done it before? I'd hate to leave them though because our phone line clocks about 2Mbps, if we're lucky, whereas we get 20Mbps with Virgin. And I loves me internetz!!!!! :yippe:
  • Options
    You should be able to.

When we first joined, we went for the normal phone package, M TV package and 10Mb Internet. Payed more for that than what we are now for what we have.

We got rid of the phone package, and replaced it with the 20Mb Internet for free. And then we phoned up asking questions about their TV packages, and we said we'd leave because Sky really did give us a better cheaper deal. So we were thinking about it - but our Internet would have been affected slightly, but eh. So we ended up getting a months free TV of every channel they offer. Phoned them up again asking how much it would be to keep it, and they said £8, all the channels and they'd throw in the free V+ HD box, no installation fees and no activation fee.

So we get all that for roughly £48 a month. Once they did give us the offer to have a free upgrade to 50Mb Internet too because we ordered the TV package, but the woman put the deal through wrong and we missed it, so they wanted more stupid fees so we just said no unless they give us the deal, lol.

With the cable splitting, my dad was saying he could do that, so I'll see what he says.
  • Options
    I do installs all the time for customers paying £49 for the V+ and no installation fee. People who sign to the VIP package who aren't already a customer usually get free installation, it all depends on how much you get from them at one time. My advice is never buy anything online, unless they have a special offer going for that particular month. Best time to phone is early morning because you are more likely to get an English call centre :D
  • Options
    Also TiVo released soon! had the training on it today
  • Options
    Not really interested in TiVo. My dad said he'll pay for another box if he sells his cooker. We worked the price out for cables, splitters etc. And it's not that much of a saving. Even looked into wireless transmitters for downstairs to upstairs, still not worth it when you add it all together and the pain of it all - and the charge if you're caught with it by an engineer..
  • Options
    Not really interested in TiVo. My dad said he'll pay for another box if he sells his cooker. We worked the price out for cables, splitters etc. And it's not that much of a saving. Even looked into wireless transmitters for downstairs to upstairs, still not worth it when you add it all together and the pain of it all - and the charge if you're caught with it by an engineer..

Its not illegal to use a transmitter, even if it was, a tech ain't going to care. Virgin will not waiver an installation fee if you buy your own materials so I wouldn't even bother. Its so easy to blag installation anyway.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's illegall, but I've been told you get charged for it (money) anyway.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's illegall, but I've been told you get charged for it (money) anyway.

Nah its perfectly ok. Its no different to their being an RF loop on the box you can use it if you want.
  • Options
    smitherz wrote: »
    Also TiVo released soon! had the training on it today

How did the TiVo look? Impressed?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    How did the TiVo look? Impressed?

Its a smart box, but to be honest the women who trained us didn't have a clue, plus the demo box she brought in didn't work. Typical ay!

Not looking forward to installing it because the unit takes 40 minutes to download the library after activation, I don't have that sort of time to wait around.

What I do know, it has a 1Tb HD (500 Hrs) a vast On Demand library, I think the box learns what you like to watch and automatically stores it for you. Oh and it has a 10Mb modem build in (separate from your usual connection) so you can stream, surf etc........
  • Options