Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Celeron 2.7 dual

smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
Hi guys,

My mum has an Acer Aspire M1610 which is painfully slow. Installed has 512Mb RAM and a 1.8 Celeron single core processor.

So I decided to upgrade it to 2Gb RAM (which has gone in and working fine) and a Celeron 2.7 dual core processor, since putting the processor in the computer won't boot, won't even give me a POST beep. I swap back to the original processor and it works fine again!

Anyone know any possible causes that can make this happen?

Many Thanks

Smitherz

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Update the BIOS, it may need it before it is recognized. What's the PSU like, is it powerful enough?
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Update the BIOS, it may need it before it is recognized. What's the PSU like, is it powerful enough?

I never checked the PSU i assumed it would be powerful enough as the system is only 1yr old. I can't even get in to the BIOS when the new CPU is in!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Check that the PSU is powerful enough, it's age doesn't mean anything because the PSU (by most manufacturers) is put in to suffice what is IN it, rather than what can be put into it by the customer - to cut on cost.

And you don't update the BIOS by going into it, you have to download the most recent version, and flash your mobo. You can Google how to do it.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Check that the PSU is powerful enough, it's age doesn't mean anything because the PSU (by most manufacturers) is put in to suffice what is IN it, rather than what can be put into it by the customer - to cut on cost.

And you don't update the BIOS by going into it, you have to download the most recent version, and flash your mobo. You can Google how to do it.

Yeah i know how to flash a BIOS what i meant was i didn't think i would have a dead computer if the PSU wasn't powerful enough. BTW just found out all these machines are fitted with industry standard 250 Watt PSU. I thought at least i would still be able to access the BIOS after changing the chip.