Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Dislocated Shoulder.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has this ever happened to anyone? How easily does it happen? How easily does it go back in again?

I was walking home from college on monday carrying my A1 art folder with the shoulder strap over my left shoulder. I had my feedback assessment that day so I had all of my work in it. It was really heavy and all of that weight was on my shoulder. (I weighed it the next day, because I thought no one would believe me if I told them that an art folder dislocated my shoulder - it weighed nearly 2 stone.) Was half way home when suddenly I felt this really imtense pain in my shoulder, I swear I felt the bone come out of its socket. It was so sore I dropped everything I was carrying and almost fell to the floor. By reflex I raised my right hand to grab on to my shoulder, as you do. As soon as I did think I must have knocked it back in to place again, there was a loud cracking sound and even more pain.

Unfortunately I was on my own so there was no one to help me. I sat down on a nearby wall for ten minutes or so to get my bearings, by which point some of the pain had gone and I could move my shoulder again. I picked up my folder and went on home. Carrying it by the handle this time, and with my right hand.

I didnt go to the doctor as I already had an appointment for friday and it wasnt too sore by the time I got home, so I thought I would wait and see how it felt by then and mention it to my doctor. But of course then I got to the doctors and we started talking about my meds and upcoming psychiatrist appointment and I totaly forgot to ask about my shoulder.

I realy dont know much about this kind of things. Would it be worth making an emergancy appointment on monday for? Its still quite sore when I raise my arm or try to lift something slightly heavy. Or would they just say, well you should have come to us when it happened?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, you probably should have gone in when it happened. xP

If you think it honestly came out of the socket, you really need to go in to get it checked out. Even though it feels like it's back in now, the tendons may have suffered injury from being stretched out and that's important to know. There's also the chance that you may not have it in it's correct position still, and if that's the case then you need to get it sorted as soon as possible.
    Well, you probably should have gone in when it happened. xP

If you think it honestly came out of the socket, you really need to go in to get it checked out. Even though it feels like it's back in now, the tendons may have suffered injury from being stretched out and that's important to know. There's also the chance that you may not have it in it's correct position still, and if that's the case then you need to get it sorted as soon as possible.

This.

I experienced exactly the same sensations you've described in a ski accident, I didn't get medical attention at the time because I thought it would sort itself out. It hasn't and it is still problem now, a few years later.
    Thanks guys. Im not deffinately sure that it was dislocated as nothing like this has ever happened to me before, no broken bones or anything. Ive managed to stay relatively injury free till now lol.

Yeah I should have gone straight away, I am a silly billy, and I cant believe I forgot to tell my doctor :banghead: . I will phone for an emergency appointment monday morning. Thanks again.
    I used to get dislocated shoulders a lot, but found that my shoulder pops back into place very quickly.

If it happens again, don't panic, take ibuprophen if you aren't allergic and it doesn't interfer with anything else you may take, and if it doesn't pop back into place before you go anywhere, go to the nearest walk-in clinic/urgent care centre (rather than A&E because you'll be sat in pain for hours, if your local is anything like mine), and they'll want to x-ray it and then pop it back in. If its in pain afterwards, a sling for a short period (less than a full day), maybe helpful, but don't over strain your neck. Using alternate hot/cold compresses are also sometimes helpful.

Get referred to a physio - they'll be able to give you exercises to strengthen the muscles that hold your shoulder into the socket (rotor-cuff muscles, and others).

Get a bag that goes over both shoulders! Over the shoulder bags can do a lot of damage to your shoulders, lower back and hips.

I hope you have got it all sorted by now, but i thought i'd pass on advice i've been given by my physio, just in case.