Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Withdrawl from Citalopram, difficulty in sleeping. Standard?

plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
I've been on citalopram at 40mg for the past 2 years and have recently halved the dose to 20mg. However, I'm having problems sleeping now and from what I know from some people, these effects seemingly last, even after finishing on Citalopram. However, I'm wondering whether this is just a small number of people and anyone else has found their sleeping ability has recovered after the withdrawal period?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never been on citalopram specifically, but I've taken a bazillion other SSRIs over the years and I'm all-too-familiar with the withdrawal process...

Insomnia happens sometimes. It depends on the drug, and probably on the individual as well, but it's not uncommon. I took the liberty of googling citalopram and it seems like insomnia is pretty common as a withdrawal symptom for that drug. I would imagine that this wears off as your body gets used to being without the medication, but if it keeps up for more than a few weeks go ahead and see your doctor to see if they have any advice on how to start sleeping again.
  • Options
    plugitin wrote: »
    I've been on citalopram at 40mg for the past 2 years and have recently halved the dose to 20mg. However, I'm having problems sleeping now and from what I know from some people, these effects seemingly last, even after finishing on Citalopram. However, I'm wondering whether this is just a small number of people and anyone else has found their sleeping ability has recovered after the withdrawal period?

I have an appointment with the psychiatrist next week and suspect that they are going to withdraw me from citalopram, so its good to know what I should look out for, thanks. Ive had a really strange mix of side affects, they actually make me really sleepy/drowsy but at the same time they seem to have stopped me from being able to drift off at night. Im also on 20 mg. I started at 10mg, then went up to 20, then 40, but found they left me feeling dazed and confused all the time so I went back down to 20mg. Strangely enough I didnt have problems sleeping when on the 10mg or 40mg doses. Maybe the 20 mg dose is just the 'right' amount to cause this problem. Or maybe Im totally wrong lol. Sorry not very helpfull.

Id have to go with what Clan said. I would see how youre sleeping goes for a week or so and then go back and tell youre doctor. Hope it wears off soon and you manage to get some sleep.
  • Options
    It's pretty common but your GP should be able to help you if it's causing you problems.
  • Options
    Okay, thank you everyone! I'm beginning to wonder if it's because citalopram always made me so tired (as a side effect) and now that side effect is beginning to disappear, I'm thinking it strange (because I can't really remember how I slept 2 years ago...)
  • Options
    i'm on them too at least they control my emotions and im not as tearful but not found that they make me drowsy but i guess different for everyone.. they help me which is the main thing :) ive upped my dose to 20mg
  • Options
    i'm on them too at least they control my emotions and im not as tearful but not found that they make me drowsy but i guess different for everyone.. they help me which is the main thing :) ive upped my dose to 20mg

I wish you luck!