Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

childhood favourites

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
what was your favourite childhood book?

Someone has just sent me "the complete my naughty little sister collection" which is bringing back lots of memories. I also have happy memories of 'we are going on a bearhunt' and 'the hungry caterpillar'. when i got old enough to read alone i was really into Enid Blyton books.

what about you guys?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The Story Of The Dancing Frog by Quentin Blake :D

Dont think its very well known but everytime i stayed over at my nans as a kid she would read it to me as a bedtime story. She let me have her copy of it a while ago, good keep sake to have.

I also read The Famous Five books when i was about 10 i think, loved them
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Tony Wolf's "Woodland Folk" series.
  • Options
    "Charlotte's Web" - E.B. White

My copy is practically falling apart, I must have read that so many times. I was also really big on the Nancy Drew series for a while, read almost all of them in 2nd grade haha.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :heart: these threads! Mine were...

The worst witch

The hungry caterpillar

Alfie gets in first

Bread and Jam for Frances

:heart:
  • Options
    Flat Stanley.

I can't have anything above my bed in case it falls in the night and squishes me flat. I don't think I have the strength of character that ol' Stan had. Motherfucker posted himself! I'd just sit crying flat tears from my flat eyes...once I'd stopped spooking people by turning sideways that is.
  • Options
    So long ago :(
  • Options
    Stellaluna, a picture book about a bat. The Jolly Mon, a story about a dolphin written by Jimmy Buffet. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. The last one was given to me by my aunt so I guess it's kind of an heirloom, I absolutely love it :)
  • Options
    Flat Stanley.

I can't have anything above my bed in case it falls in the night and squishes me flat. I don't think I have the strength of character that ol' Stan had. Motherfucker posted himself! I'd just sit crying flat tears from my flat eyes...once I'd stopped spooking people by turning sideways that is.

I love Flat Stanley!!!
  • Options
    where the wild things are - maurice sendak
  • Options
    Where the wild things are and Hungry Caterpillar were definitely my favourite picture books, and Orlando the marmalade cat.

The big give away being that I can still remember them now.

After that I was an Enid Blyton & Worst Witch fiend.
  • Options
    We're Going on a Bear Hunt :yes:
  • Options
    when i got old enough to read alone i was really into Enid Blyton books.

me too, my dad used to read to us before bed and we had the faraway tree and the wishing chair. then i went on to reading the famous five and the secret seven myself.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    omg hi wrote: »
    me too, my dad used to read to us before bed and we had the faraway tree and the wishing chair. then i went on to reading the famous five and the secret seven myself.

That's exactly the same as me :) I used to love mr pink whistle too - quite surreal though I think.
  • Options
    and mallory towers and st clares
  • Options
    My dad used to read me LOTR and the Hobbit, i <3 them!
  • Options
    When I was a kid I loved the Enid Blyton Faraway Tree books and when I was really small I was obsessed with a book called "The lady with the aligator purse" (the well known poem). I used to make my mum check it out of the library every few weeks haha :)
  • Options
    There was a book of short ghost stories i used to read as a kid, based on true stories apparently. Something like An Anthology of Ghost Stories, would love to find a copy again. Only story i can remember was The Screaming Skull.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    There was a book of short ghost stories i used to read as a kid, based on true stories apparently. Something like An Anthology of Ghost Stories, would love to find a copy again. Only story i can remember was The Screaming Skull.

google books is useful for hunting down books, http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=bks&tbo=1&q=the+screaming+skull&btnG=Search+Books
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Discworld.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    second for charlotte's web by eb white.

also.. where the wild things are by maurice sendak. amazing illustrations

not now bernard - because it freaked me out. a really good example that parental neglect can get you eaten by a monster

5 minutes peace?? .. with the elephants!

the cat in the hat

but martin! by june counsel- about an alien called martin.. my brother is called martin so naturally this was a firm favourite.

the puddle lane series.. with the magicians and the puddle that they looked into..and the cats. amazing. especially http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Saucer-Ladybird-Puddle-Lane/dp/0721409121. i remember they made a tv show of the stories which was also so so cool

all of the beatrix potter books

then in my teenagedom i couldn't stop reading anything by judy blume. tiger eyes was my favourite. and any of the books with fudge in.
  • Options
    I always liked that little kids book about the mom who always took care of her son and then the mother was so old that he carried her up the stairs and cared for her.