Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

cervical smears

once you have turned 25, can you request to have one?

i turn 25 very soon and would like to have one done. cervical cancer is something that worries me because you can have it and be completely unaware you have it until its too late to do anything. many young women die from it.

when i was talking to my doctor last week, he told me that i would be sent a letter but told me i might not be invited to have my smear for 2/3 years. is that right?

i have been sexually active since i was 16 so would like to get myself checked out.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im pretty sure you can request to have them, im not sure coz i got called for my first one at 19 and then have had to have them 3monthly, six monthly and then yearly since.
  • Options
    19? why 19?

the nhs don't call anyone before the age of 25 now.

i think i might ring up my doctors when i turn 25 and request to have one. just want one for piece of mind if anything.
  • Options
    ive been having them since 19 too. that was the age they used to start them.
    Just phone up and ask.
  • Options
    You can request to have one at any time, if you want one, but you'll probably find that you get a letter pretty soon after your birthday. That's the case in our area, anyway. They don't hang about. The age was 20, in my day and I think I got a letter 3 days after my 20th birthday. I assume it's automated.

You don't get a letter from your GP, you get one from some kind of central service telling you to book an appointment at your normal practice. If it's really bothering you, just ask for an appointment - the practice nurse normally does them.

Not that many young women die from it, anyway. It's pretty rare in under 30s, hence the raising of the screening age. Obviously it's not unheard of, but a minority of high profile cases caused the media to totally blow the risk out of proportion. As long as you go for a smear when you're invited, and keep going every 3 years it's not something you should be unduly worried about. Even if they find something on the smear it's almost always at the stage where it's easily and quickly treated.
  • Options
    now they don't, it was a while ago and i think it was more down to individual surgeries then maybe? all i know is that i got the letter, forgot about it several times/never got round to it and ended up having abnormalities removed a week before my 21st birthday which ment i couldn't swim on my suprise holiday. I don't know if different PCT's had different policies in individual areas , a bit like postcode lotteries but that was when i was called for it. I vaguely remember something in the news a couple of years later about them putting the age up to 25 .

Have just checked some articles on google - the screening age was raised from 20 to 25 in 2004. So maybe i was 20 then. i think the risks are small anyway.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Not that many young women die from it, anyway. It's pretty rare in under 30s, hence the raising of the screening age. Obviously it's not unheard of, but a minority of high profile cases caused the media to totally blow the risk out of proportion. As long as you go for a smear when you're invited, and keep going every 3 years it's not something you should be unduly worried about. Even if they find something on the smear it's almost always at the stage where it's easily and quickly treated.

yeah, i know. it just worries me because i want children and i'm scared of soemthing happening that will stop me from being able to get pregnant.
  • Options
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org/archive/index.php/t-61032.html

i'm sure you can just phone up and request one
  • Options
    yeah, i know. it just worries me because i want children and i'm scared of soemthing happening that will stop me from being able to get pregnant.

I get it, I was the same way, but you have to remember that most people are able to have children, so the chances are that everything will be fine. You can't even imagine the possible scenarios I had dreamt up, but in the end all of my scenarios turned out to be bollocks.

There is definitely something to be said for positivity. You might even find that stressing about something has way more effect on your fertility than the thing you're stressing about.

Chill, have your smears when you're supposed to, take care of your body in general and everything will be ok.
  • Options
    ha, cheers kaff.

i just feel as though i'm getting old you know? i really want children and the fact that i know so many people who can't have children really scares me.
  • Options
    ha, cheers kaff.

i just feel as though i'm getting old you know? i really want children and the fact that i know so many people who can't have children really scares me.

i feel like this too, especially as everyone around me is either having babies or telling me that my biological clock is ticking and i am leaving it too late...excuse me for wanting to be in the right place in the relationship for it and being a student later than i planned - im such a let down!
  • Options
    i feel like this too, especially as everyone around me is either having babies or telling me that my biological clock is ticking and i am leaving it too late...excuse me for wanting to be in the right place in the relationship for it and being a student later than i planned - im such a let down!

everyone around me is having babies too.

thing is, i can't have one until i am at least 28/29 because my boyfriend wants us to buy a bigger house before we start a family. plus, i'd like to be married first. i'm just worried that by leaving it until then, i'll be leaving it too late especially as i want a few children too.
  • Options
    everyone around me is having babies too.

thing is, i can't have one until i am at least 28/29 because my boyfriend wants us to buy a bigger house before we start a family. plus, i'd like to be married first. i'm just worried that by leaving it until then, i'll be leaving it too late especially as i want a few children too.

my plan was originally married by 24, kids at 25.
    then uni, teacher by 26, marriage and nqt year completed by 27, kids at 28.
    nothing works out how u think i find. J and me wanted to be married by 30 originally, things haven't worked out that way at all. 18months ago we said we would buy a house then start trying for babies and that has all changed now too. He was very " i want to do it this way, buy house, get married, make babies". Last feb we moved into a two bedroom rented flat to give us options on the baby front coz there isn't any way that we can afford a house or a wedding or are likely to be able to any time in the next five years. If a baby comes along we are likely to scrap both of those things. Shit happens i guess.
  • Options
    they're usually quite good about sending the letter out on time. i got mine a couple of weeks after i turned 25. they're really hot on it so they wont just forget. i suppose you could always ring up and ask for one anyway but id give it abit of time first :)
  • Options
    i'll wait until after my holiday i think so that gives them 2 months to contact me. if i haven't had a letter i'll ring them up and ask to have one done :)
  • Options
    saying that though i wish id have had one sooner. not that you get a choice or anything.
  • Options
    If it's anything like round here you'll get a letter AND reminders. I had a letter just before I was 25, then a reminder from the NHS or the PCT or whatever it is a few weeks after that and THEN a letter from my actual doctors surgery a couple of weeks after that reminding me.
    And if you don't get a letter for any reason, just phone and book yourself an appointment with the nurse anyway. I went to see the nurse about something else and a reminder popped up on her screen telling her I hadn't had my smear test and she offered to do it there and then. I chickened out but that's another story...