Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Fixing a hydraulic chair?

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I have one of these. In case I didn't use the correct word, it's the type that has a lever on the side to adjust its height with.
Over time, I'm pretty sure it's been losing max height. I sit on it and feel it get slightly lower, and then it won't ever get higher than that point. I guess the air has been slowly leaving the mechanism.
Is there any way to fix this, and bring the chair back to its original max height?

Comments

• Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Indrid Cold :wave:

You don't say what type of chair is it? For example, is it an office chair?

I am not too technical and don't have any experience of fixing anything like this, but did a quick search and there are guides online on how to fix chairs such as this one about how to fix an office chair.

However, I would also reccommend you look at your warranty as you might be able to get a replacement, or speak to the manufacturer who can advise you about whether it is something you can mend yourself or whether you need spare parts etc.

Hopefully someone a bit more DIY-savvy than me will add their thoughts to help you out too... :thumb:
    LauraO
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have one of these. In case I didn't use the correct word, it's the type that has a lever on the side to adjust its height with.
    Over time, I'm pretty sure it's been losing max height. I sit on it and feel it get slightly lower, and then it won't ever get higher than that point. I guess the air has been slowly leaving the mechanism.
    Is there any way to fix this, and bring the chair back to its original max height?

My last hydraulic chair went down when sitting on it too, until one day it never went up again and there was a oily spill on the ground. I guess they just become leaky after all those years you torture them with your butt and there is nothing you can do but to replace them.