Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

talking about self-harm.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay.. this should possibly be under student, but i felt it would get more relevant responses here.

So at school, in english, we all have to do a speaking presentation...
We have been advised to do something close to our hearts, and ive been struggling for weeks to come up with an idea!

But.. had a bit of a lightbulb moment today.
It has been a tough day, talking to the CPO for the first time and going over my problems..

To top it all, an insensitive girl in my class...who bullied me in the past... has been laughing about "Slitting her wrists if she has do anymore english" and "Wishes she could have slit her wrists and bled to death in that exam" she treats it all as a big joke, and it just shows how little is known about self-harm

So after resisting going up and punching her, after walking out of a lesson in tears.. ive decided to do my presentation on self-harm, to make people realise it is a real problem, and honestly? In directly teach this girl a lesson :)

Just wondering if theres any suggestions of what to include in my presentation ?? x

Comments

• Options
    You could look at the self harm content on thesite for ideas.

It's very brave of you - well done :)
  • Options
    Thanks :) with the support of my councellor i think i will get through it

I am going to go through it privately with my teacher first though, just to make sure i am strong enough!

i have looked on the self-harm pages, got some stuff on Myths about it, why people do it and why it is such a problem (also talking about misconceptions)

Now wondering what other sub-topics to cover :S
  • Options
    omg well done u i hope u go through with it :)
    I'll support u in everyway !!! :)
    there are a lot of people out there who say shit about self harm joke about it or say its attention seeking, it makes me sooooo mad,
    few months ago i did a childcare course and heard the tutor joking about slitting her wrists, i was so mad i thought im guna tell her about me cutting and how much i struggle lol i think she knows i over heard her haha!!

Just a thought maybe u cud say about people who can help if u self harm,
    or maybe some distractions because there could be someone in your class who secretly self harms and needs some support,

xxx
  • Options
    To top it all, an insensitive girl in my class...who bullied me in the past... has been laughing about "Slitting her wrists if she has do anymore english" and "Wishes she could have slit her wrists and bled to death in that exam" she treats it all as a big joke, and it just shows how little is known about self-harm

you might find this hard to believe but i'm doing a degree in psychology of all things and regularly hear people on my course saying things like 'this exam/coursework/assignment/presentation is making me suicidal' or 'i'm so stressed out i could slit my wrists'. people can be very flippant about things. all you can do is try not to take it to heart. often people don't mean to cause offence, they just don't realise that what they are saying is hurtful.

i think it's a good idea to do your presentation on self-harm, as long as you are prepared to face people's reactions, which might not all be positive.

as randomgirl says there is information on thesite, you could also look at pages like the national self-harm network and the bristol crisis service for women. it might be worth concentrating on a specific topic, such as treatment or recovery, which might be more positive both for you and for the people who will be watching.
  • Options
    Thanks all :)

ive now added a section of "how to move on" with coping tips, and steps to recovery :)

got three pages of notes, think my teacher will be extremely impressed lol.
  • Options
    woo hoo well done Tryin to be strong so proud of you!!
    Good luck !! b thinking of u let me no how u get on plz :) xx
  • Options
    ok, my next lesson wednesday :)

ill be talking to teacher then... maybe performing it privately to her.. not sure

will post an update after school wednesday though :)
  • Options
    yay !! :D xx
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Good luck!
  • Options
    thanks for all the support :)

am having a few doubts tho :S think is possibly because i had some mega mood swings today though..
    hopefully tomorrow will be better and i can rehearse with my teacher.
    most worried about her figuring out that i self-harm. :/

just hope i find the strength as it would be good to get the info out there,
    and if i can am going to seek advice before i go to my english teacher tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    awwww bbe whats making u feel down, u wanna talk ? xx
  • Options
    hopefully tomorrow will be better and i can rehearse with my teacher.
    most worried about her figuring out that i self-harm. :/

i think it will be pretty obvious to be honest.
  • Options
    Hi Tryingtobestrong,

You've been given some great advice on your thread and we all support you doing this as a topic. It seems you have thought it through. As omg hi has said, it's likely that your tutor and fellow pupils will figure out that you have some personal experience (yours, family member, friend) with self-harm, so I suppose you need to be ready for the questions / comments etc that may follow once you have done the presentation...

One of the most powerful things can often be hearing real life stories. So perhaps you could present a 'case study' and use this is to back up the topic area discussed - recovery. This story has been shared on here and has been annonymised.

Good luck tomorrow and take care :)
  • Options
    omg hi =

yes, especially so as all my teachers have recieved emails informing them i am "emotionally fraglie" and may need time out occasionally..

DG =

not too sure to be honest.. had a bad start to the day with all of this !
    and now have just been looking at the low self-esteem article on here, and every symptom listed is something i have... eeks :S still can discuss that with my councellor... :/
  • Options
    omg hi =

yes, especially so as all my teachers have recieved emails informing them i am "emotionally fraglie" and may need time out occasionally..

ok so you need to think about whether you can handle the comments/questions that might come from other people in your class. if your teacher already knows that things are not good and then you do a presentation about self-harm then they are going to need to talk to you about it.
  • Options
    I guess if you give the presentation, you can see how it goes when it comes to answering questions.

You don't have to tell everyone you self harm- if it makes it easier why not make an "imaginary friend" and explain how they feel and why they do it? Use them to tell your own experiences.

Most of all though, make sure you feel comfortable and if the questions get too much, I'm sure you can just end the presentation and ask to go sit back down.
  • Options
    awww hunie hugs well u no where i am if need to talk :)
    i understand :)
    i hope u get through ur talk ok :)
    i admire u for doing it hugs xx
  • Options
    Today wasn't fun !

Spoken to my teacher. I can do it privately.. but she has postponed it until next week :(

dont know if i can handle the stress/worry much longer tbh ! :/

trying to stay strong but finding it very difficult right now...
  • Options
    Awwww hunie well done for talking to you teacher,
    but one question why as she postponed it till next week?
    Please dont give up hunie hugs xx
  • Options
    do you think that maybe this presentation is bringing up old feelings and making you feel worse? i understand why you might want to explore the issues and taboo surrounding self harm just wondering if now is the right time for you to do that. it's really brave of you to talk about it but i dont think it's worth it if it's going to be detrimental to your recovery x
  • Options
    Awwww hunie well done for talking to you teacher,
    but one question why as she postponed it till next week?
    Please dont give up hunie hugs xx

i dont have a clue why :/ she has done it for the whole class though.
    have spoken to CPO officer, (as im talking to her until i get a councellor) and she is going to talk to my teacher and see if it can be done sooner as we feel it would be best for me - and since i was going to be doing it at a lunchtime anyway.. :D

im doing my best :)
    just difficult right now as i feel theres so many people hoping ill get through, but they have their lives and cant spend all their time supporting me.. :/
  • Options
    awww bbe its veery hard i totally understand !!! :(
    hugs xxx
  • Options
    ive s/hed again :(

not because of this tho, i dont think.
    but none of the coping techniques ive found are working :'(

and now feeling so so angry n disappointed at myself.. dont want to go to school and see my teacher or CPO tomorrow :banghead:
  • Options
    hunie plz calm down :(
    breathe!! i no how u feel i cut too
    did it make u feel better? did u do it bad?
    plz dont punish yourself even more xx
  • Options
    Okay, so.. I did it today!

went fairly well. :)

think my teacher didnt link anything ? :S dont know, i did it earlier today, as i came into the lesson crying. I sat outside for a while and asked her to give me some work that i could do some place quiet.. she told me to work on the presentation.

So, i just wrote a few note cards out thinking i would still be doing it next week, so i was fairly shocked when she came in 10 minutes before the end of the lesson and told me to perform it!!
    Not the best timing for me probably, but i got through it :)

Thanks for all the support guys :)x
  • Options
    hello.

what a good idea for a presentation

it's something i struggle with from day to day, and i'm sick of people not understanding to

i hope it goes well for you- please let me know!
  • Options
    yay !!!!! :d
    well done u proud of u !! xxx