Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Moon cup questions

I'm growing more interested in these but I am confused by some parts of it, mostly regarding messiness. It seems like it would be a big hassle and really messy to take out and clean up. Is it? I'm very squeemish, even with my own bodily functions. Also, how do you go about it in public? That seems just impossible, especially since I've read you should empty it every 4-8 hours. Just thinking of emptying something makes my stomach turn a bit. I'm such a pansy. :p
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In public, I've heard women say that they just dump it out like normal, wipe it clean with toilet paper, and then wash it later in the day when they're in their own bathroom. I wouldn't imagine that this would be any messier than dealing with a pad or a tampon, although I've never tried it myself. The women I've talked to who use them seem to love it.
  • Options
    I would just empty it in the toilet and put it back in if i was in public, maybe clean it with a babywipe, but thats not usually necessary.
    Tbh, they dont need emptying as often as a tampon needs changing usually, so mostly i dont empty in public, just wait till im home.
  • Options
    I;ve never used one but ive heard some women just wipe them out with toilet paper or rinse it out with a bottle of water and do it properly when theyre home but that all seems like too much hassle to me! How often are you going to be away from a proper bathroom for more than 8 hours at a time for anyway?
  • Options
    changing it in public has never ever been a problem for me and ive used one for about 8 years now
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    How often are you going to be away from a proper bathroom for more than 8 hours at a time for anyway?

Not away from one, but I wouldn't want somebody walking in on me washing one in a public bathroom. Plus I'm at a school so only 5 minutes to get in and out and back to the room between classes (no pooping during school hours :p). It can't be too time consuming then as well.

Thanks for the suggestions and info ladies :) I think I might just invest in it! Though maybe once I use up the plethora of tampos I have... damn sales and coupons, forcing me to stock up like the world is ending.
  • Options
    On another forum I'm on the American ladies talk of a disposable type of mooncup, I can't remember what it's called though but it has some of the mooncup advantages without the need to wash it.
  • Options
    I know we have an American version called the DivaCup, but I don't believe it's disposable. Maybe there's another one that I haven't heard of.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Not away from one, but I wouldn't want somebody walking in on me washing one in a public bathroom. Plus I'm at a school so only 5 minutes to get in and out and back to the room between classes (no pooping during school hours :p). It can't be too time consuming then as well.

Thats what i mean. If you can leave it in for up to 8 hours at a time then by the time you have to rinse it out you'll be at home in a proper bathroom (by which i mean not a public one).
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Thats what i mean. If you can leave it in for up to 8 hours at a time then by the time you have to rinse it out you'll be at home in a proper bathroom (by which i mean not a public one).

I wish I could be home in 8 hours ;)
  • Options
    I know we have an American version called the DivaCup, but I don't believe it's disposable. Maybe there's another one that I haven't heard of.

I found a link: http://oochi.biz/instead/public/ It's called Instead. No idea if it's any good. And not as eco-friendly as mooncups.

ETA: And it's really expensive compared to tampons.
  • Options
    whats the point if its disposable??
    The reusable aspect is the main point isnt it?
  • Options
    whats the point if its disposable??
    The reusable aspect is the main point isnt it?

Well there is still reduced risk of TSS, you don't get that dry vagina feeling that tampons can bring, it's less messy than towels and apparently you can wear it for mess free sex on your period! (It's construction is slightly different to the mooncup as if you could wear it for sex I'd definately get one).
  • Options
    they seem a bit pointless to me, if your spending that much you might just as well buy a proper mooncup
  • Options
    I've used instead (disposable) It lasts about twice as long as a tampon but I wouldn't use it during sex =/
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I've considered getting one in the past, but I'm also a little squeamish, not to mention getting it in and out without disaster... not quite to sure there!