Home Politics & Debate
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What's your religion?

1235789

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That might be what it was originally created for but it's not what it is being used for now. On all the forums I've looked at that talk about religion, whenever FSM is brought up the person who posted it is using it as a way to make himself look smarter by making anyone who follows a religion look like an idiot following a fairy tale. You'd get the same response out of me by comparing it to Santa Claus or Fairies. If anyone is going to try and debate religion they should show it some respect while doing so.

    Well that's not the religion, it's just people (ab)using it in the wrong way. ;) But I'm all ears if you care to explain exactly how god is different to those things. Other than the slightly grander claims about his abilities, of course.

    Why should you show something respect when you think it's ridiculous? When discussing the factual merits of a particular set of claims, what people believe they get from their beliefs is of absolutely no concern whatsoever. Furthermore, were never encouraged to think about the feelings of people when discussing any other firmly held belief. We aren't encouraged to respect those who believe they were abducted by aliens, or claim to have spoken to the dead, but religious beliefs seem to be a special case for reasons that aren't entirely apparent to me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That might be what it was originally created for but it's not what it is being used for now. On all the forums I've looked at that talk about religion, whenever FSM is brought up the person who posted it is using it as a way to make himself look smarter by making anyone who follows a religion look like an idiot following a fairy tale. You'd get the same response out of me by comparing it to Santa Claus or Fairies. If anyone is going to try and debate religion they should show it some respect while doing so.

    Actually that's not in the same vein you're comparing something that has been established for thousands of years, in most cases, and has millions of followers to something else created just to ridicule those beliefs. Try again.


    Take a pill dude. Pastafarianism was brought up in response to the question of what our religious beliefs are. It expressed that posters attitude towards religion, which, after reading the info on the FSM website is hardly showing any serious disrespect to the idea of religion. The internet is full of assholes, just because you've had a few bad run-ins with a couple of them who referenced FSM is no reason to raise you hackles.

    On a completely unrelated note it is nice to have some fresh blood in the P&D.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wicca,

    Made up religion
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Actually the only negativity that we have given on this forum was only after someone has approached us in that way. You being a prime example.


    I know it's just amazing how that magical number turns them so fast.

    An eye for an eye makes the world blind. You cant seriously expect me to believe you just justified your actions "because she/he started it"

    Grow up.

    If your clan are all knowing and mighty, then rise above circumstance, stop trying to pick arguments, accept criticism of your views and understand that just because you think it is so, doesnt make it right.

    Above all have some consideration for others, just because some of your clan misguidedly think its ok to call someone a nigger, most other people dont. They dont have to justify why, they just find it offensive. Add that to a multitude of other instances where its not as much your viewpoints that we find offensive, but the fact that because you have them, means we cant have our own legitimate ones.

    Now im ready for the barrage of abuse im going to get, all I have done here is not be nasty, but point out what I think to be your failings.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thus far, everything that I've said that apparently "isn't true", I've asked you to refute.

    That is the point of Pastafarianism. you can't refute it - in just the same way you can't refute other religious beliefs.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does that mean that it makes more sense to prove that something is than to try to prove that it isn't? But then... what do we do about all the 'real' religions?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    Does that mean that it makes more sense to prove that something is than to try to prove that it isn't? But then... what do we do about all the 'real' religions?

    Nobody can prove a thing to me about any religion. Apart from things like "this man is the pope, that man is a bishop, lots of religious issues in northern ireland"
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't mind if they try though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So, I suppose that means that you believe in abiogenesis?

    Absolutely - far more convincing than retarded design.

    Take the eye for example - <whatever> is capable of developing really great eyes - look at the squid, the hawk, the dragonfly - and then look at the pile of shit mammals (including humans) ended up with.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    An eye for an eye makes the world blind. You cant seriously expect me to believe you just justified your actions "because she/he started it"

    Grow up.

    If your clan are all knowing and mighty, then rise above circumstance, stop trying to pick arguments, accept criticism of your views and understand that just because you think it is so, doesnt make it right.

    The point was that we're being accused of starting shit when all we do is respond to other people who start in on us themselves. You've never once responded to someone?

    And when did any of us claim to be "all-knowing and mighty"? The "clan" thing was just for giggles in the introduction, we don't actually consider ourselves as some little clique of elite people--you made that assumption on your own. We've had this discussion several times already, but you don't seem to remember that. Could you just, I dunno, not criticize us at every turn and not be determined to find reasons why we're the enemy? I'm sick of this spreading into every thread one of us posts in.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wearing glasses might well have been in the Flying Spag Monster's plan though?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The point was that we're being accused of starting shit when all we do is respond to other people who start in on us themselves. You've never once responded to someone?

    And when did any of us claim to be "all-knowing and mighty"? The "clan" thing was just for giggles in the introduction, we don't actually consider ourselves as some little clique of elite people--you made that assumption on your own. We've had this discussion several times already, but you don't seem to remember that. Could you just, I dunno, not criticize us at every turn and not be determined to find reasons why we're the enemy? I'm sick of this spreading into every thread one of us posts in.

    See below
    And you're going to bear children with the collective IQ of a walnut. :)
    I'm just going to file you under "R" for "retarded" and leave you to your downs syndrome.

    And if you really want me to go and find the quote where a user effectively said that if someone takes offence at being called a nigger, then it is all their fault, and the person saying "nigger" is not at fault at all?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well that's not the religion, it's just people (ab)using it in the wrong way. ;) But I'm all ears if you care to explain exactly how god is different to those things. Other than the slightly grander claims about his abilities, of course.

    Why should you show something respect when you think it's ridiculous? When discussing the factual merits of a particular set of claims, what people believe they get from their beliefs is of absolutely no concern whatsoever. Furthermore, were never encouraged to think about the feelings of people when discussing any other firmly held belief. We aren't encouraged to respect those who believe they were abducted by aliens, or claim to have spoken to the dead, but religious beliefs seem to be a special case for reasons that aren't entirely apparent to me.
    That actually is something that I have thought of before and I do admit that if you don't like something and you find it ridiculous it makes no sense respecting it. However, religion isn't really a ridiculous idea when you study it and the people that follow it. When you really start to understand why someone follows that religion and why exists in the first place it just becomes less of a stupid thing. People that don't respect religion, to me, are the ones that haven't tried to understand it.
    Take a pill dude. Pastafarianism was brought up in response to the question of what our religious beliefs are. It expressed that posters attitude towards religion, which, after reading the info on the FSM website is hardly showing any serious disrespect to the idea of religion. The internet is full of assholes, just because you've had a few bad run-ins with a couple of them who referenced FSM is no reason to raise you hackles.

    On a completely unrelated note it is nice to have some fresh blood in the P&D.
    It seemed like he brought it up in a more sarcastic way to me, but generally when I run into people like that they are the biggest assholes on the forum(not saying he's one just saying that's what I usually ran into) and like this isn't just 2 or 3 people I've ran into but more of 10-15 on different sites.

    BTW, Squidbillies is awesome <3
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    See below

    And if you really want me to go and find the quote where a user effectively said that if someone takes offence at being called a nigger, then it is all their fault, and the person saying "nigger" is not at fault at all?

    Thanks for quoting a single person and making comments on about six people based on it. Also, I still fail to see where we said we were better than anyone else or somehow all-mighty?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks for quoting a single person and making comments on about six people based on it. Also, I still fail to see where we said we were better than anyone else or somehow all-mighty?

    That one person again.

    Yeah perhaps I was a bit wrong lumping you all together, but you didnt exactly help matters with the whole clan theme and the barrage of posting between one another.

    Anyways, its early hours of the morning in the UK here, you guys will have to talk amongst yourselves for the remainder of the evening.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That actually is something that I have thought of before and I do admit that if you don't like something and you find it ridiculous it makes no sense respecting it. However, religion isn't really a ridiculous idea when you study it and the people that follow it. When you really start to understand why someone follows that religion and why exists in the first place it just becomes less of a stupid thing. People that don't respect religion, to me, are the ones that haven't tried to understand it.

    What exactly do you mean by "respect religion?" What aspects of religion? The scripture? Every line? The supernatural claims? The underlying moral philosophy? Which religions? All of them? The concept of religion?

    Understanding why something exists and why people follow it is not a prerequisite to respecting it. I understand why people visit psychics and mediums, but that does nothing to increase my respect for it. In fact, in those two examples, it actually reduces my respect for anyone who practices it considerably.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That actually is something that I have thought of before and I do admit that if you don't like something and you find it ridiculous it makes no sense respecting it. However, religion isn't really a ridiculous idea when you study it and the people that follow it. When you really start to understand why someone follows that religion and why exists in the first place it just becomes less of a stupid thing. People that don't respect religion, to me, are the ones that haven't tried to understand it.

    Fallacious argument.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your "clan" lot are accusing someone else of trolling, have a look at your "clans" behaviour since you have arrived and tell me a lot of it is not akin to trolling?

    What, specifically, has been us trolling? Point out the post.

    I hope you realize that one does not have to have a troll account to attempt to troll someone. I caught onto katralla's little game very early; which was essentially to troll us until we get so annoyed that we leave.
    An eye for an eye makes the world blind. You cant seriously expect me to believe you just justified your actions "because she/he started it"

    Grow up.

    Yet you make no effort to point out where she's wrong. Ha.
    If your clan are all knowing and mighty, then rise above circumstance, stop trying to pick arguments, accept criticism of your views and understand that just because you think it is so, doesnt make it right.

    So, basically, "If we say you're wrong, accept it without question"? I dunno where you're garnering this nonsense about benig all mighty and such though.
    Above all have some consideration for others, just because some of your clan misguidedly think its ok to call someone a nigger, most other people dont.

    The clearest way of knowing someone is desperate is when they completely skew their opponent's position on a subject. If you read anything I said, you'd know I never said that it was okay to call someone a nigger. I even said that one should try to be nice lest they end up lonely, but that the recipient of the insult makes a conscience choice in whether to be offended or not.
    Absolutely - far more convincing than retarded design.

    Take the eye for example - <whatever> is capable of developing really great eyes - look at the squid, the hawk, the dragonfly - and then look at the pile of shit mammals (including humans) ended up with.

    I'm not sure the case you're making in favor of abiogenesis.
    See below

    The examples you gave were in a back-and-forth.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sorry it seems like I missed a few posts.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Made up religion
    Actually wicca is a form of witchcraft, which has been around for hundreds of years. Just because you personally believe it's made up doesn't mean it is.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    That one person again.

    Yeah perhaps I was a bit wrong lumping you all together, but you didnt exactly help matters with the whole clan theme and the barrage of posting between one another.

    Anyways, its early hours of the morning in the UK here, you guys will have to talk amongst yourselves for the remainder of the evening.

    Well, he does think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I don't recall him making some "I AM ALL-MIGHTY AND YOU ALL SHOW BOW DOWN AT MY FEET" announcement. xD

    As for all posting together, we live in similar time zones (minus the Durk, who is in Slovenia, and the Prancing Teabag who is a Brit but hasn't bothered to post since the intro). We're online at similar times, so we post at similar times. It happens. *shrugs*

    Glad to see you're calming down, though, and that we're starting to come to some sort of understanding. I was getting pretty sick of this back-and-forth, truth be told.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What exactly do you mean by "respect religion?" What aspects of religion? The scripture? Every line? The supernatural claims? The underlying moral philosophy? Which religions? All of them? The concept of religion?

    Understanding why something exists and why people follow it is not a prerequisite to respecting it. I understand why people visit psychics and mediums, but that does nothing to increase my respect for it. In fact, in those two examples, it actually reduces my respect for anyone who practices it considerably.
    I'll just use myself as an example here so maybe you'll better understand what i'm trying to say. The reason why I respect religion is because I see some of the good things that it does for people. I see how much it helps the people that have nothing else hold onto something to believe in. In some cases it does turn some very bad people into a better person and it does help. I'm not saying that there isn't a bad side to it either but, like the good, it comes from how people interpret it and use it. When it all boils down it's all just there and people can take whatever they want from it rather it be the good or bad.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Fallacious argument.
    Care to explain?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

    Actually wicca is a form of witchcraft, which has been around for hundreds of years. Just because you personally believe it's made up doesn't mean it is.

    Actually, Wicca was made up in the 20th Century.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Actually, Wicca was made up in the 20th Century.

    So were denominations of Christianity. Wicca is just a branch off witchcraft and Witchcraft has been around for hundreds of years.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Congratulations, you've worked it out - it's all a load of bollocks made up when the last load of bollocks can't be patched up enough to pass as credible.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Congratulations, you've worked it out - it's all a load of bollocks made up when the last load of bollocks can't be patched up enough to pass as credible.
    Oh you're one of them... yea we won't get along at all.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I knew that already.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I knew that already.

    Let me explain what I meant by one of them. You're one of the people that are here to judge us before you know us. It doesn't matter what I post from now on because you'll always be on the opposite side of it. You think that by debating us and constantly showing your intelligence is going to win you cool points. We could get along if you took the time out to try and get to know me but I doubt that would happen anytime soon.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I spent three days reading your group's posts, I think that was long enough to decide I didn't want to get to know any of you.

    You come here, start contentious threads, and then act shocked when people are upset. Fuck off the lot of you.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thomas and I disagree on just about everything. It seems to me that your anger is best directed at me than on everyone known as "The Clan". Though, I'm not sure what "contentious threads" you're referring to because the only threads we've created that've resulted in shitstorm were fairly uncontentious in nature until select individuals got their panties in a bunch.

    And er... we've only been here two days.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I spent three days reading your group's posts, I think that was long enough to decide I didn't want to get to know any of you.

    You come here, start contentious threads, and then act shocked when people are upset. Fuck off the lot of you.

    I actually only made a few posts my first day here then disappeared until today. So you were judging me before you knew me. Also we've only been participating in the forums like we're suppose to. Now if you're just afraid that we are just going to take over this place then I'm sorry that you feel that way because we're only here for fun and to make new friends. It's your loss though we could have been sou lmates.
Sign In or Register to comment.