Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

users leaving and then coming back with new names

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
does it annoy you, or is it just me?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    does it annoy you, or is it just me?
    :yes:.

Especially if they aren't gone for very long. I get it if you haven't used the site in ages and forgot your password, but eugh.
    especially if they make allusions to the fact theyve been around a while, yet their postcount is low.
    pisses me off
    i dont mind people having "a" name change, as long as they either let people know who they used to be so we know who we're talking to or keep it to themselves they used to be here
    especially if they make allusions to the fact theyve been around a while, yet their postcount is low.
    pisses me off
    Totally with you on this one, love.

Some of the stuff I've posted is ridiculous but I cba to make a new account just so I don't have the risk of someone looking at my ridiculousness. And you can always, always email a mod and have your account reinstated.
    Franki wrote: »
    Totally with you on this one, love.

Some of the stuff I've posted is ridiculous but I cba to make a new account just so I don't have the risk of someone looking at my ridiculousness. And you can always, always email a mod and have your account reinstated.
    P.S. Any particular person you're referring to, or just a general rant today ;)?
    I reckon you either tell all what your name used to be. Or you don't mention it.

The whole I used to be someone else but I'm not telling is really irritating.

I can't comment too much, I have another username, but I'm pretty open about it being me.
    My old one is in my sig :) it annoys me too when people do the whole "I was here before" thing.
    I've left a couple of times, but I had pretty good reasons to be honest, which have only just been sorted.
    The second link in particular I find a bit odd. It's seems a bit weird seeing people with really low post counts talking about something from a fair while back, but then I guess post count isn't everything.

I'm just a bit strange like that, I find it grates slightly when new mods who I haven't noticed introducing themselves post on regular users threads stuff like 'stay in touch', or 'let us know how you get on'.

FFS if someone has several thousand posts, then you don't really need to stay that, they're pretty well resident.
    The second link in particular I find a bit odd. It's seems a bit weird seeing people with really low post counts talking about something from a fair while back, but then I guess post count isn't everything.

I'm just a bit strange like that, I find it grates slightly when new mods who I haven't noticed introducing themselves post on regular users threads stuff like 'stay in touch', or 'let us know how you get on'.

FFS if someone has several thousand posts, then you don't really need to stay that, they're pretty well resident.
    I know who both the people in the second link are. No idea who the first person is, though :confused:.

Agree with Scary about new mods, though :p.
    the standard generic posts by random mods to real issues really annoy me too
    I can kind of see why you get the generic posts to real issues, because this place definitely gets used for reference by people with similar issues as well as by people posting their individual stuff, so having the generic links etc there makes sense from that point of view.

It's the just waffle at the end that gets me. Keep posting for example.

Also, I reckon new mods should do a decent - hello, I'm a new mod, introduction that sits as a sticky at the top of the board they mod. Actually, maybe I will suggest that to Helen or Jo.
    This happens a lot on another forum I post. There is someone who made quiet a few posts, faked his death and then came back. He denied ever knowing who this person was. It was obvious from his posting style and the things he said. He threatned someone with legal action because this other person said "you're really <username> aren't you?"
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :wave:

Cheers for the feedback guys, always good to know how you feel about the way we post as mods and feelings on older members coming back. I'll move this thread to 'problems with thesite' so that others can contribute their thoughts.

Just a few things to consider...

If you have an issue with a specific person, there's no harm in just dropping them a polite PM to let them know you think they should announce who they were before. A thread like this seems a bit unkind and could well embarrass a person if they haven't considered people would find it annoying.

The whole 'keep us posted' reply in a mods responses is genuine - some people don't get back after they've posted a thread regardless of how long they've been posting on TheSite.org, so it's really just a 'we do actually care' type comment. I'll share this with all mods though, because it's good to know the impact of our posts and we do talk about being aware of someone's post count when replying, so perhaps we're not as hot on it as we should be.
    As far as mod's generic replies go, well isn't a big part of this place us, the users ??

Say someone posts about a getting a nipple caught th filing cabinet at work. Helen will pop along with a hello and links 'please read our article on trapped on nipples and one on the dangers of filing cabinets'. But then isn't the rest of it up to us. Offer support, and PRACTICAL advice ?

Between us, users and mods, i think we've been through a multitude of situations and can say 'been there, done that' this is how i did it, or this is how i did it - it didn't work so maybe try......

It's people with experience of the matters/problems/issues that counts, for me any way, on this site.

Why i get fucked off by arseholey wankers on here whose reply is 'use google'. Well duh cuntychops yeah i do know how to use it but i want someones personal opinion. :rolleyes:
    theres at least one instance i can remember when I personally have posted about something upsetting me in my life and got a generic reply from a mod, asking me something that proved that he had barely even read my post before replying.
    I felt a bit angry and upset by it at the time

Also, I reckon new mods should do a decent - hello, I'm a new mod, introduction that sits as a sticky at the top of the board they mod. Actually, maybe I will suggest that to Helen or Jo.

Cheers for this suggestion, I guess one of the issues is that mods aren't supposed to have an elevated position in the community, they just have a slightly different role that as you've identified includes identifying resources that readers might not know about and providing some emotional support when it seems relevant. All mods do introduce themselves in the introduce yourself forum and for mods who might contribute to 3 or so forums, having that replicated a few times might be a bit overkill ;)

We're going to look at updating this 'meet the mod' section in 2011 though - 'specially as I was 25 when I wrote mine and not sure any of what I said back then still stands. :d

http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/meetthemod/chloe
    theres at least one instance i can remember when I personally have posted about something upsetting me in my life and got a generic reply from a mod, asking me something that proved that he had barely even read my post before replying.
    I felt a bit angry and upset by it at the time

:( sorry to hear that SCC. If you do happen to remember which thread it was, then I'd be interested to take a look to get a better idea of the context - feel free to PM it to me if you'd rather not post it here.

Also, myself, Jo7, Fostress and LauraO are the key mods based at TheSite Towers (by that I mean the mods who look after the community as a whole beyond replying to threads) - you're really welcome to get in touch with any of us on a case by case basis should something specific upset you.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    As far as mod's generic replies go, well isn't a big part of this place us, the users ??

Say someone posts about a getting a nipple caught th filing cabinet at work. Helen will pop along with a hello and links 'please read our article on trapped on nipples and one on the dangers of filing cabinets'. But then isn't the rest of it up to us. Offer support, and PRACTICAL advice ?

Between us, users and mods, i think we've been through a multitude of situations and can say 'been there, done that' this is how i did it, or this is how i did it - it didn't work so maybe try......

It's people with experience of the matters/problems/issues that counts, for me any way, on this site.

Why i get fucked off by arseholey wankers on here whose reply is 'use google'. Well duh cuntychops yeah i do know how to use it but i want someones personal opinion. :rolleyes:

:lol: POTW.
    Isn't this place about the individual user though, and their potential anonymous'ness? I remember a user a long while back who came back 2/3 times with different names and each time it was eventually discovered to be the same person. (wasnt a troll btw)

Now whilst us as regular users of thesite knew it was them, unless you had been a user of thesite at the time then it would have been very hard to link the different accounts. They had some not horriffic but pretty bad family things going on at the time and well for someone who is investigating someone they find online, unless they were there at the time (or are johnny 5 speed reader) then they wont make the link.

So sometimes even if people know it is an old user by powers of deduction, you only know because you know the background, and perhaps its not to keep things from people on thesite, it is to keep things from the wider world who might not use it.

After all regardless of how annoyed we might get, this place is here for the benefit and help of the users, so unless a user is trolling and causing bother then account changes shouldn't be too much bother for people.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Isn't this place about the individual user though, and their potential anonymous'ness? I remember a user a long while back who came back 2/3 times with different names and each time it was eventually discovered to be the same person. (wasnt a troll btw).

Yeah, and it was fucking annoying back then, too.
    i think this thread is a bit nasty :no:
    G-Raffe wrote: »

Now whilst us as regular users of thesite knew it was them, unless you had been a user of thesite at the time then it would have been very hard to link the different accounts. They had some not horriffic but pretty bad family things going on at the time and well for someone who is investigating someone they find online, unless they were there at the time (or are johnny 5 speed reader) then they wont make the link.

They would have made the link when people kept pointing it out.
    i think this thread is a bit nasty :no:

I do too. As long as the person is trolling, what's the issue?
    gotta say I dont really mind the leaving then coming back under another name thing, as long as they don't do the 'i used to be somebody else but I'm not telling you' thing. stupid thing is with most posters you're going to be able to tell anyway, specially if they're posting details of their lives.

what does grate on me though is people who do over-the-top dramatic leaving speeches, cause drama then come back.. it makes me cringe, ha. ah well. everyone should know thesite is muchos addictive.

ps iv noticed Montserrat has just gone..slipped away?x
    I noticed he'd gone too! Hope he's okay :(
    I noticed he'd gone too! Hope he's okay :(

Pretty sure he is, described it as a 'click to see more' exit :)
    Oh okay :) Thanks Helen, I did worry when I noticed he'd gone!
    I think this thread is a little nasty but cabnn understand why the leaving coming back annoys people,

However I think it only bothers me when they make a big song n dance about leaving coming back.
    oh come on, im hardly shaking people upside down for their pocket money. im just expressing how a particular type of behaviour annoys me.
    Im sure theres a hell of a lot of people whove left and returned as somene else who id never even know about, but when people make it obvious it just makes me uncomfortable, like someone walking round in a disguise