Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

thinking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey,

I used to self harm since the age of 11 and i stoped at 18, i do self harm every now and again when life is totally on top of me but nothing compaired to what it used to be.

Any way..i have been watching a soap and some on it has started self harming and there friend found out, and seem a little disgusted and so tonight i have decided to go onto youtube and look at peoples videos about it, and someone had done a video and called it damaged!..which got me mad.

So i thought i might try and set up a charity or some thing that brings awareness to self harm and show people that its not a bad thing..not something we should sweep under the carpet and its some thing we all should try and help people.

Any thoughts on this would be a great help to wheather you think its a good idea or not..and if you would like any input.

Comments

• Options
    heya

i think this is a great idea. i self harm and have been for just over a year and it's true people dont understand properly about self harm. and we dont get taught about it at school so self harm isnt understood. that could be somewhere u aim to tell people more about it maybe?

i'll support u all the way on this idea

ghostlife xx
  • Options
    Thank you for your support.

I agree that it is really understand and it has to be hidden away..but i think if people really understood about it, then people who do self harm are more likely to tell someone before it gets too seriouse.

It may not work but if we dont try we wil never know =].

I keep you updated on what my next steps are.

And once again thank you for your support.

Do you think if someone had come into your school and had talked about self harm, or other ways of realising your emtions, then you may not have started?

And if you need anyone to talk too i will listen coz i know what its like. xx
  • Options
    Do you think if someone had come into your school and had talked about self harm,

i don't think having self harm 'taught' at school is a good idea.. because the people that do will probably feel embarrassed as people may guess that they do it or quiet cornered.. I know I would be.
    SH is such a touchy subject for people so to have a direct spotlight on it so everyone is aware more about it may make it hard for people..

But a charity to support people who do SH and are in situations where others around them SH is a good idea - because there needs to be more support out there where people can feel OK to go and talk .. (:
  • Options
    I agree in a way with bleepy that for those who self harm it may be hard to be taught about it at school, i agree it would be hard for me too. but for those who do self harm and havent told anyone it might encourage them too. And yes hiddenxxsecrets i think that if someone had come to my school and explained about self harm and better ways to deal with your emotions then i think i may of been able to stop before it got this bad and maybe not even start in the first place.
    and yes please keep me up to date with all that you're going to do because i'd love to know :) xx
  • Options
    Hey, I’d like to add my support in here. I think it’s a great idea. But I do agree that it would be difficult for people who self harm to have to sit in a class about it. Maybe it would be better if you could have some kind of class on how to cope with the types of things that cause people to self harm but not actually put the emphasis on self harm, if that makes sense. So you could have maybe a few lessons where SH is mentioned or spoken about, but have the main focus be on more positive ways of dealing with things.

I actually had a lesson about self harm in school, in our personal and social education class. But it didn’t help me. Of course, we weren’t given any advice on other ways to cope with things. It was more - This is what self harm is... These are some of the reasons why people do it... This is what some people think they get from self harming.... - It did not help me feel any better and I think it actually romanticised self harming. I knew a few people who started doing it after that and I don’t think they would have started otherwise. Which is why I think it’s important to teach better ways of coping as well as helping people understand what self harming is.
  • Options
    Hey hidden secrets :)

My names Depressedgal and ive been self harming since 7 years old and i think your idea is a BRILLIANT idea hunie hugs!!
    I'm guessing u was on about hollyoaks??

I hate how people dont understand self harm,
    most people think its a suicide attempt or attention seeking,
    when thats totally outta order and wrong to asume that,
    its not attention seeking at all and people need to reliase that
    people who self harm needs help and support and not to be judged...

Ive tried explaning to friends family etc what self harm is on my eating disorders/ depression website check it out if u like http://beateatingdisorders.webs.com/

its not triggering but just turn ur sound off hehe
    thinking about changing the songs if i member how to lol

take care and well done

xx
  • Options
    absolutely brilliant idea!
    if you need/want help with anything, don't hesitate to let me know - i'm up for doing everything i can to help. it's something that's still affecting me.

hope it all works!

laurenmckay x