Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Crown Court?!? Help!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all, I'm in a bit of a pickle..

4 months ago (roughly) I was arrested in Camden for half a spliff, I was taken down to the police station where they took DNA, Photos, Prints and Details as well as holding me in a cell for 5 hours..

2 or 3 Weeks later..

It was about 12noon and I had the day off work, I rolled a spliff and was playing my xbox when someone was knocking me door like it was urgent, I run down stairs to get the door and as I open it a hand full of police rushed in, handed me a bit of paper and sat me down while going though my room..

This is where I find out, that in a house raid in 2006 over drug dealing the police recovered a 9mm Gun with Ammo. On that Gun was 2 sets on DNA, one of witch is mine :/ the other is still unknown I'm assuming..

When I say "DNA was found on the Gun" I mean a part of the Gun, In fact my DNA was only found on the magazine, not the Gun itself, nor the ammo.

I was arrested and put on bail to return to the police station I was then given a date to go Magistrates Court to get a date for Crown Court.

I now have this date and I'm not really sure what I need to take to court :/ Suit I know.. but what else?? Passport? What sort of paperwork?

As I'm new to all of this I google'd "Free Serious Crime advice" and ended up with a legal team from Manchester.. this wouldn't be a problem only I'm from London and I've spoke to my brief once one the phone and the Court date is quickly coming up. :confused::confused:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there,

Sorry to hear that you are in a tricky situation at the moment.

Firstly, you mention that you have a brief; do you have solicitors representing you and have you given them full instructions? They should be able to advise you about the court hearing and what to expect from it. Every case is different and so your solicitor is the best person to advise you.

If you don't have a solicitors acting for you, you can use the Community Legal Advice website to find lawyers in your local area.

You may be entitled to Legal Aid depending on your income. It is always worth checking your eligibility which you can do using this link.

If by the time the hearing has come and you don't have a solicitor - you can ask to see the duty solicitor at court.

There are some articles on theSite's website about going to court which you may find useful having a look at. There is an article on Court Procedure; have a look at the Crown Court section. The article on Going to Court has a brief explanation about what the Crown Court is about.

As for what you should take to court - essentially you only need to take yourself. You don't need your passport or anything else. However, ask your lawyer if there is anything they would like you to bring. For example any documents that may help you to defend the allegations. Just make sure you are smartly dressed and and that you arrive on time (or early to speak to your lawyer before hand).

Hope things get better for you - keep us updated. :)