Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Problem with car, chugs when accelerating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

ive just bought my first car, renault clio 2002.

Yesterday morning the car chugged when driving to work, its like when i accelerated a little nothing happened and the rev counter remained stationary and then all of a sudden i lurched forward?

Very worrying.

On the way home yesterday it was fine, i also went to the supermarket last night and it was fine.

This morning the same thing happened, i could not maintain a safe steady speed by holding the accelerator in the same position as the car would go faster automatically as if i quickly pumped the accelerator???

Could this be because of the cold?

Thanks for any advice.
:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm..... I'm not sure, but it could do something with the cold.

I had something wrong silimar to your car.

When I started my Fiesta 2004 in the mornings the revometer is normally at 1000rpm, but now its cold its approx 700 to 800rpm.

I've asked your question on a Ford forum. I'll let you know when I have some answers. :)
  • Options
    Is it possible you are changing up your gears too early, and it is taking a little chug before kicking in with power?

I say this as a lot of people usually drive one gear higher than normal in snowy weather.
  • Options
    Is the car petrol or diesel?

I have two possible answers on the forum;

"Don't know anything about clio's, i'm presuming its fly-by-wire rather than cable control. FBW throttles can be notoriously difficult to diagnose, you'd be best off connecting an OBD2 scanner to see if there are any errors stored. Might have something like 'Throttle feedback out of spec or improbable", which would suggest a knackered throttle body (or ice inside of it)."

"Tell person to check wiring loom"
  • Options
    Someone also says to check the ECU (Engine Control Unit).

Linky
  • Options
    Hey Norwegian Rebel,

I have no idea about cars - but I understand why this is worrying you.

Have you got to the bottom of it yet?

It might be worth taking your car to a local mechanic to get it checked over if you can't find the route of the problem yourself.

Keep us posted on progress. :)