Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sleeping problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK so maybe not as serious a problem as some other posts on this forum, but I thought I'd take a shot that someone has experienced this before or has any advice.
So basically I'm a 20 year old male, in university and I've got the worst/most disjointed sleeping pattern of anyone I've ever known. Sounds pretty common I know...

My problem is getting up in the morning.
If your about to reply with 'stop being lazy' or similar, please don't because I've heard it all before.

When I was in high school and sixth form and had 8.45 starts, i had no problem (although I hated it) at getting up at 7.30. Since being in uni however I just can't get up.
I've tried settings several alarms at once, tried putting them around the room, I once had one of those alarms that flew off round the room and didn't stop till you got up and turned it off. I always just wake up, turn the alarm off, and go back to sleep.

It's like in those few seconds of consciousness, I have no desire to get up. Even though I realise that getting up = getting to uni = getting better grades = ultimately better life. This cycle of alarm-turning-off sometimes leads to me sleeping 10-12 hours. In the last few months this has happened maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

I realise that having a better bedtime routine would help, as would going to bed earlier, but how can that account for me sleeping so much?

So, what can I do? What can I do to motivate myself to get up, whether it be a weekday or not? I genuinely want to be able to get up earlier, but in those first few seconds after I wake up it's like I'm a different person.

Just read this back, wow I look so pathetic!

I look forward to the grilling

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    what time do you go to bed?
    Put your alarm clock at the other side of the room to your bed. You'll have to get up to turn it off and hopefully as you'll be up it'll not be as easy to just go back to sleep. Make sure you get about 7/8 hours sleep too.
    i used to be like you. before i kept at a minimum of 8 hours of sleep. then i reduced the duration of my sleep to 6-7 hours. the change was prompted when i read a study that 6-7 hours of sleep is conducive to longevity. i started with setting the alarm, but now under normal circumstances i wake up in 6-7 hours without aid. i noticed that i have more energy during the day. plus i usually take a 15 min power nap in the afternoon. another reason i have to not linger in bed is i usually cant stand idle thoughts.

what might help dearly is the motivation to get up. i suggest that during the evening, preferrably before going to bed, you reflect on the day, the day ahead and make a plan, mentally or written, on what you will do and how you will do it. this should give you a clear goal in mind when you wake up in the morning.
  • Emma_REmma_R Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Hello ProbablyNotNormal :wave:

Thanks for posting here. Sounds like you're having a bit of a nightmare.
    (Sorry ... I'll stop with the crap jokes now.)

Seriously - finding it hard to get up in the morning is obviously causing you some concern and that's understandable. As you pointed out, it's not unusual for people at university to have disjointed/disturbed sleep patterns, what with all the noise (especially if you're in halls?) plus perhaps going to bed late/getting up late. Also things like alcohol can mess up your sleep (all that sugar - makes you wide awake at the wrong moment, then hard to wake up when you need to).

Does any of this apply to you - are you having trouble getting to sleep? If so, you might want to have a look at this article on sorting out your sleep patterns. Bear in mind too that in the middle of the deep midwinter it can be hard to wake up as there's no natural light to bump your brain into getting up mode.

Another thing I noticed is that you say you have 'no desire' to get up. Is that because you're too sleepy, or because you don't feel so enthusiastic about the day ahead? Sometimes if you're feeling a bit down, sleep can seem like better option than facing the day. If you're feeling miserable, you may need to tackle that to get your sleep pattern back on track. There are lots of options you could consider here, like going to your GP for advice.

Hope some of this helps ... let us know how you're getting on.

x
    I realise that having a better bedtime routine would help, as would going to bed earlier, but how can that account for me sleeping so much?

I think you're oversleeping. This can make you more tired.
    Yes I think I do tend to oversleep because, probably because of my 'one more hour of sleep won't hurt' mentality when first waking up. I'm pretty sure I'm not depressed, but I do agree that I don't find motivation to get up in the morning.

As for getting to sleep, I find it hard because I oversleep then try to go to bed at a reasonable time...obviously having not been awake for long enough to be tired again!
    I have a very hard time getting up in the morning, too.
    Something I've started doing recently is opening my window shade the night before. Then, when my alarm goes off at 7:00 a.m., the sunlight keeps me awake. It's a very bad habit to get into, turning off my alarm and just going back to sleep -- it always becomes a kind of game in my dreams, and really doesn't get me anywhere. But when there's a jolt of reality that stays in touch with me in my half-asleep stage when turning off my alarm, it's easier to stay awake.
    Just make sure, when you wake up, that you don't just get up, close the blinds, and go right back to sleep.