Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

The Morning After Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know there is a post just below this one that Karla just closed but i just needed to say this:

My ex, has been having sex with her current boyfriend. now, over a week ago, the condom split, and she went to the clinic to get the morning after pill. BUT, they refused to give it to her because she was underage!

is it me, or is there somthing wrong with that or what??? also, she has gotten it into her head that she has to wait 3 weeks before she can take a pregnancy test, is this true?

Comments

• Options
    why not go to the chemist and buy it?

(or am I wrong in thinking you can do that)

In answer to your question ....I dunno........sorry. It is a bit shortsighted for the clinic to refuse it though. They should issue it along with a lecture about under age sex. At least thats better than more or less saying tough you`ll have to cope with an under age pregnancy!
  • Options
    I don't think the clinic can do that, and it certainly shouldn't be doing that. I suggest you find out the rules, and if they're out of line, write (or get her to write) a letter of complain.
  • Options
    They most certainly shouldnt be refusing it cos shes underage. Thats just plain stupid, thats like there encouraging teen pregnancies and all the rest. Advise her to go elsewhere for it, if she ends up pregnant then the clinic will be in deep trouble.
  • Options
    In answer to your question ....I dunno........sorry. It is a bit shortsighted for the clinic to refuse it though. They should issue it along with a lecture about under age sex. At least thats better than more or less saying tough you`ll have to cope with an under age pregnancy!

Although my mate is not underage she still got a lecture :D it was funny the bloke in the chemist. The M.A.P is there fore the use it shouldnt be allowed to be refused and im sure it is illegal. It is not encouraging teeniage pregnancies but it is not eliminating them. i dont think you have to wait 3 weeks for a pregnancy test. it can be done straight away or is it as soon as the period is missed she can take a urine sample to the chemist and they will test it there and then.

Are you sure she is telling the whole truth. I think it is very strange for a nurse to refuse the M.A.P :confused:
  • Options
    i couldnt tell from the post, but she would be too late anyway if she took the pill more than 72 hours after sex. (thats how long sperm are able to fertilize an egg within the body)

as for age, i dont know what the law is, but i dont think she should have been denied.

she does have to wait 3 weeks afterwards to take a pregnancy test for the results to have any meaning.
  • Options
    With clearblue you can take a pregnancy test from the day the period is due.
  • Options
    i think refusing her it is rediculous! people moan about underage pregnancies and that people should be more responsible and use contraception etc etc and then clinics act like this. she should try going to another gp or clinic and if its been longer than 72 hours get coil.
    i think the clinic should of looked at the situation before refusing her it. they should off seen that she's responsible enough to use contraception in the first place and talk to her about safer methods of contraception such as the pill.
    if they ever refused me it without good cause i would have a right go at them
  • Options
    Re: The Morning After Pill
    Originally posted by dai fychan
    I know there is a post just below this one that Karla just closed but i just needed to say this:

My ex, has been having sex with her current boyfriend. now, over a week ago, the condom split, and she went to the clinic to get the morning after pill. BUT, they refused to give it to her because she was underage!

is it me, or is there somthing wrong with that or what??? also, she has gotten it into her head that she has to wait 3 weeks before she can take a pregnancy test, is this true?

What i think is strange is how she told you in the first place. is it to gain attention? i just think it is strange how she would have told you about them having sex. :confused:
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

Devil, in response, she told me (a slip of the toung thing). I asked her how her ICT exam went, and she said "It was cool! The best day i've had so far! P.E. in the morning, a simple exam in the afternoon.... and sex twice in the morning! Great! Oh, sorry, i didnt mean to say that. Sorry Dav" It was a genuine mistake.

After that, i told her that if she needed any advice, i was here (like i say to all my friends).

Its fingers crossed that shes not pregnant now!