Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

decent wrinkle cream!!!!!!

haha, can't believe i'm posting this but i am starting to notice that my face is getting all old looking!!!!!!! i'm 25 next month and my age is starting to catch up on me :crying:

think i'm finally going to start on the wrinkle cream. can anyone recommend a decent one that doesn't break the bank? :blush:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No such thing! Save your money and just buy a nice moisturiser :yes:
    There's this stuff from ALDI that's meant to be really good...
    It's called Anti-wrinkle night cream I think, it's only about £2 as well.
    To be honest your better off using a good normal moisturiser and drinking plenty of water, eating the right foods, if you smoke/drink cut down. I don't think any anti wrinkle creams work, I hope they do though for when I start to look older :|
    ha, i do all that already! i need a miracle cure dammit!

i don't like this ageing process!!!!! i still feel 18 but my face says otherwise! booooooooo!
    because ur outside alot its worth getting something that you can reapply on the beat (lol that sounds so stupid but cold weather is really harsh on your skin and if ur in it for hours its worse and this will age you and give you a "weatherbeaten" look).

What type of skin do you have? This will effect what is best for u. Also remember to get something with a min of spf 15 for winter and 20plus for summer as sunlight exposure will also age you. Night creams can be helpful too as they are thicker and different things happen to your skin when sleeping. It is also worth thinking about a seperate eye cream as the skin around the eye is really easy to damage as its so delicate and normal moisturiser is too rich there.
    the aldi one is pretty good and won awards. its only £1.79 too, so if you dont like it you havent loast much
    bollox do you need wrinkle cream. lieeeeeeeeees! :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Grandma :p
    Kaff wrote: »
    No such thing! Save your money and just buy a nice moisturiser :yes:

a wrinkle cream IS just a nice moisturiser, but with added stuff thats supposed to speed up cell renewal, plump out the face a bit and an SPF
    a wrinkle cream IS just a nice moisturiser, but with added stuff thats supposed to speed up cell renewal, plump out the face a bit and an SPF

By 'nice' I meant nice feeling on your skin, not expensive - sorry, not very clear! A general good moisturiser should plump up your skin and contain an SPF, the rest is just hyperinflated prices and sketchy pseudoscience.

I once saw a documentary comparing the latest anti-ageing potions, and in double blind tests*, none of them were any more effective that a £2 pot of nivea!

That said, if you have very dry, problem or sensitive skin, I got handed a sample pot of this in Boots one day and I think it's fab! Not the cheapest, but my tiny sample pot has lasted over 2 months, and I'd deffo fork out the cash when it runs out.

*ETA: double blind tests NOT funded by the manufacturer ;)
    thanks for the replies everyone :)

think i might try out some of that boots stuff or aldi stuff!
    If a cream changes the cellular makeup of your skin, it legally has to be sold as a pharmaceutical, i.e via prescription ONLY. All that 'anti-wrinkle creams' do is temporarily hoof up your skin so it looks like your wrinkles are shallower.

THINK about it - companies who make anti-wrinkle cream WANT you to have wrinkles! If your wrinkles disappeared, you wouldn't give them excessive amlounts of money on a regular basis anymore!

Oof. Sorry, everyone - and blah, TOTALLY not a dig at you - just an absolute pet hate of mine.
    A.

THINK about it - companies who make anti-wrinkle cream WANT you to have wrinkles! If your wrinkles disappeared, you wouldn't give them excessive amlounts of money on a regular basis anymore!

er no, noones going to keep shelling out for a product if it doesnt do anything
    er no, noones going to keep shelling out for a product if it doesnt do anything

Of course they do. Why do you think the daily mail article that skakitty posted made the news? You don't see news articles with headlines that read: "Shocker! Shoes you can really wear on your feet!" Anti-wrinkle cream that actually does what it says it's going to do is newsworthy because the vast majority of them don't. They legally can't - otherwise you'd have to have a prescription for it. All they can do is give a temporary illusion that your wrinkles aren't as deep as they were before you applied it - by trapping water in the dermis.

People are total mugs when it comes to advertising, especially in the world of beauty. We're so effectively brainwashed into this idea of physical perfection that we will spend £100 on a pot of nicely packaged moisturiser, so long as a woman in a nice white coat in Boots (she looks like a doctor, she must be right) tells us it will make us look like we're 16 again. And if we can't see an immediate difference, we'll either buy another pot just in case, or buy one from the nice lady at the desk next to the first one. She's not wearing a white coat, but she WILL give us a voucher for some pretty lipstick if we buy her stuff.

People are total mugs when it comes to advertising, especially in the world of beauty. We're so effectively brainwashed into this idea of physical perfection that we will spend £100 on a pot of nicely packaged moisturiser, so long as a woman in a nice white coat in Boots (she looks like a doctor, she must be right) tells us it will make us look like we're 16 again. And if we can't see an immediate difference, we'll either buy another pot just in case, or buy one from the nice lady at the desk next to the first one. She's not wearing a white coat, but she WILL give us a voucher for some pretty lipstick if we buy her stuff.

Some people like to look good? I don't see why people have a problem with it. If you don't want to use makeup and moisturiser etc. fair enough. But so what if other people do?
    Of course they do. Why do you think the daily mail article that skakitty posted made the news? You don't see news articles with headlines that read: "Shocker! Shoes you can really wear on your feet!" Anti-wrinkle cream that actually does what it says it's going to do is newsworthy because the vast majority of them don't. They legally can't - otherwise you'd have to have a prescription for it. All they can do is give a temporary illusion that your wrinkles aren't as deep as they were before you applied it - by trapping water in the dermis.

i think youre a bit patronising tbh

I am under no illusions that anything will permanently remove wrinkles. I think all anyones after is to make their face look better that day. its like saying theres no point in foundation because it doesnt permanently change the colour of your skin.
    Some moisturisers ive tried, after using them for a few weeks, improve the appearance of my skin. Its certainly only temporary because if i stop using it, the effect is lost. Thats what happens when you get old though
    Generally you can tell the older people that have looked after their skin, from the ones that havent.
    i think youre a bit patronising tbh

I am under no illusions that anything will permanently remove wrinkles. I think all anyones after is to make their face look better that day. its like saying theres no point in foundation because it doesnt permanently change the colour of your skin.
    Some moisturisers ive tried, after using them for a few weeks, improve the appearance of my skin. Its certainly only temporary because if i stop using it, the effect is lost. Thats what happens when you get old though
    Generally you can tell the older people that have looked after their skin, from the ones that havent.

I hear what you're saying, Suzy, but not everyone has your knowledge or thinks like you. I've had conversations with friends, my mum, overheard 14, 15 year old girls talking about using anti wrinkle cream to stop them getting wrinkles. My mum has at least 6 different kinds of anti-wrinkle cream in her cupboard, not because she thinks it will make her skin look a bit less wrinkly that day, but because she thinks it will actually stop the wrinkles from appearing. She doesn't have the wider understanding of how the cosmetics industry works and how anti-wrinkle creams work that you obviously have. She hears the cleverly worded advert with the woman saying: "This cream reduces the APPEARANCE of wrinkles" and thinks it means fewer wrinkles will appear when she uses it, rather than what it actually means, which is that wrinkles will temporarily appear less deep when she uses it.

It was only a couple of years ago that cosmetics advertisements were made to put disclaimers on their ads, and I'm pretty sure there's a thread on these boards from quite recently where a girl was disappointed because her mascara didn't make her eyelashes look like the girl in the advert's. I hope someone enlightened her to the use of false lashes in the ads - I didn't check. People don't always have the knowledge that you may take for granted - and it's not me being patronising - I feel the pressure too, and often bow to it. Advertising agencies and branding corps are very, very good at what they do - they're experts in human psychology. But it does make me angry - not at the people who are misled, but at the corporations and conglomerates that perpetuate it.
    Make sure you drink enough and exfoliate. I find the lines (they aren't anything major) look worse when I haven't drank enough or I haven't exfoliated.
    moisturiser will plump up your skin and make wrinkles appear less wrinkly until it wears off. tru dat. Some ingredients work better and longer at doing it. I did a fair bit of research and came up with a list of about... 7 ingredients in moisturisers that I thought were worth looking out for, over and above just your ordinary e45. Not that I'm sharing my list. coz it's over there, and I can't be arsed to get up. mwah ha ha...
    when youre passing that way anyway................
    Embrace the wrinkles...
    butterflykisses, to be fair, youre only 23.
    When you start getting wrinkley youll probably be slathering them on just as much as anyone else
    retinol, or... retin-a if you can get it

sunblock

anti-smoking cream solution (fuck this one, smoking is cool)