Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Army

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, im in a bit of a dielemma...
I really really want to join the army when Im 16, but half my friends dont want me to do, because they fear I'll die or get hurt.
Is there any way i can convince them that I'd be ok, or should i just opt for something 'safer' in their opinions as i dont want to piss them off.

help!

Angel of Death

Comments

• Options
    At the end of the day you have to do what you want to do or you will end up regretting it...having said that I would really think through your options before making the final decision...try and speak to people who have been there and done it, with the positive stories and those who left because they found it hell...don't just swallow the glossy promotional image.

As for convincing your friends - well they obviously care about you to be so worried, why don't you take them along to an army careers talk or similar so they can ask questions too. If they see you really want to do this, they'll support you in the end.

Susie :)
  • Options
    There's a couple of users in the Politics Forum who are military peronnel - Thanatos and Geenhat - why not messgae/mail them and ask them what their experiences are. Note that BOTH has fought in a shooting war and will therefore give you a full picture.

Its worth remembering tho' that they are US servicemen...
  • Options
    My dads been in the Army since he was 16 and fought in N.Ire, Gulf, Bosnia, Belize, Falklands, Oman etc and he didnt get a scratch on him!

Ok its not entirely risk free but its not as dangerous as everyone makes out :)
  • Options
    Well, I wouldn't.

But that's me, not you.