Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gig Photography

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
First off, I'm not sure if this belongs in Net & Tech or here so mods if you feel it needs to be moved feel free to do so

Anyway, as the title suggests I'm doing some gig photography on saturday night, nothing huge, just a small venue doing an acoustic night. I was asked by 2 of my mates, both are playing in seperate bands that night, to take some photographs of them live. I've done some promo shots for them, one very candid so just hung out with them for the day and took photographs through out the day and a few group shots of them without them posing and the other just a general promo shoot, had a laugh, few props etc. Anyway, I've got off point, I'm doing it live, there not going to be dancing round much, well maybe a bit, so could anyone give me some advice please as I've only ever taken live shots on a small every day camera, nothing on a professional (sort of) camera

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I don't think I'll be much help but I used to occasionally take photos of my ex's band when they played gigs. I just used my normal bog-standard digital cam and had it set to 'sports' mode which helped to compensate for the movement.

Ha, just re-read what you wrote. I know nothing about professional cameras, sorry. I'll leave what I wrote first in case it helps anyone at a later date.

Hope it goes well :)
  • Options
    If you want good gig shots you need fast lenses, the faster the better really because there's not much light to play with, and you want to avoid using high ISO settings if possible. f/2.8 lenses or above really, ideally 1.4 primes. You may need to step down a bit though to get multiple people in shot.
  • Options
    I'll be using a pretty decent lense, I'm pretty sure it can do 1.4, will check later
    hopefully it will come out alright :)