Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Unfulfilled

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey there, just on the lookout for some advice :)

At the moment I'm working as a barman and you guessed it, I'm feeling unfulfilled!

A bit of background: I'm 20 and all though I was homeschooled up to a-levels I didn't take any exams, thus have no qualifications. Originally I was confident that the careers I was planning on wouldn't require going to uni and I wouldn't get into debt yadda yadda yadda. I haven't been out of work at all but I now feel I wan't to do something more academic.

So where should I go from here? I'm a little clueless truth be told!

There are 1 year courses at my local college that are "for those who wish to progress to Higher Education" (does that mean it would guarantee a chance to get into uni?)

What are my options guys? Is it even worth it with the new fees? I feel like my timing sucks :(

Looking forward to hearing back!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Don'tcallmeShirley,

Welcome to the boards :wave:

Sorry to hear you are feeling frustrated in your current job but it's great to see you are being proactive and thinking about your options rather than staying in a role that doesn't fulfill you anymore.

Have you taken a look at our work and study website Lifetracks.com? We also have a work and study section on TheSite. You may find both of these useful when researching your options.

In your position there are quite a lot of options open to you so it's definitely worth doing a bit of research online or getting some careers advice and considering all the courses or on-the-job training that is on offer.

It might also be worth speaking to the local college that runs the course you mentioned to find out what the entry requirements, what the course entails and where this will lead. By doing this you might find that this suits you really well or that they have other courses which interest you more.

You mentioned that you want to do something more academic but it's probably worth thinking about what career you would eventually like to get into, and where you see yourself at the end of it first, so that you make sure you enrol onto the right course. Do you have any ideas what career you would ideally like to get into?

I hope this helps as a starting point, and hopefully lots of other people will give their ideas too :)

Laura