Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

taking everything to extremes, how to live in moderation?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a problem with taking everything in my life to extremes.
I had a lot of issues in the past, and have dealt with a lot of my problems, but i find this addictive personality is still causing a lot of issues in my life.

I have had problems in the past with drugs, self harm, eating disorders, and general reckless behaviour. Even things like getting obsessed with tv programmes and watching tens of episodes in a day.

since coming to university i have been watching episodes of series constantly and it gets in the way of sleeping and doing work, i havent been going to lectures, have self harmed several times and started doing drugs again quite regularly.. i dont know what to do to stop myself and start doing the work i should be and enjoying things in moderation rather than taking everything to such an extreme.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there i_amjade,

How are you? It sounds like you're finding things a bit difficult to manage at the moment - but you've taken an excellent first step in recognising that you want some help and support in changing your behaviour :)

Starting university can be a really emotionally challenging time, with a lot of upheaval and different people cope with it in different ways. It can also take time to settle into a routine and work out how to manage your life and workload. Do you think you could speak to someone about your concerns about your behaviour and your anxiety. Universities offer health, support and counselling services for free. Ask your tutor or have a look at your university website to find the right person to talk to. They can work out, with you, the best way forwards. It might be that something like CBT can help you manage your anxiety - or it could he that something else they suggest might work for you. If you find it difficult to put your worries into words, writing things down like you have here can help you explain your concerns to others.

Let us know how you get on. *hug*