Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

My mums completely changed.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A few months ago I went to see the doctor as I thought I was suffering from depression. My mum knew how I had been feeling as she was the one who booked the appointment and took me along, even though I wasn’t very keen on going. I was sent for a blood test later in the week to rule out any possible physical reasons for my feeling like this. It took two weeks before I got the results and in that time she seemed to convince herself that I had an iron deficiency or thyroid malfunction or something like that, she kept saying things like, "if the tests come back negative and you’re still sure that it’s a physical reason we could always ask for them to be done again" (this is despite me telling her repeatedly that I didn’t think there was a physical reason) and she was really nice and supportive. Offering to do things for me and phoning my college tutors when I couldn’t make it out of bed.

But as soon as my test results came back negative and the doctor confirmed that the reasons for my feelings must be psychological, she completely changed. She has started being really bitchy to me. Telling me not to be so lazy when I struggle to get up in the mornings. One day, she asked me to do something for her before she got home and I hadn’t managed to as I just couldn’t stop crying. And she started bitching about me, right in front of me, to my dad. Going on about how typical it was and how I couldn’t do anything right, and how I was to self centred to consider anyone but myself. She is really rude to me now. She refuses to listen to anything I have to say and has started insisting I do things which she knows scare the hell out of me, then looking at me like I’m an idiot when I try to get her to reassure me. She is really impatient with me now and I feel like if she asks me to do something, and I don’t do it perfectly then she will start arguing with me and bitching about me to my dad, which really hurts.

I don’t understand why she has changed. I’d get it if she didn’t understand what depression was, or was unsure of the best way to help me. But she works in a mental health clinic. She knows all about the causes and effects of depression. And, when my sister was diagnosed with post natal depression a few years ago, she was really supportive, always round there helping her. So why is she being horrible to me? How can I get her to change her attitude? Over the past year I have lost almost all my friends. I really need her on my side.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey big hugs,
    I don't know much about how your feeling but my advise is write down what u have written here an let your mum read it.
    Maybe she is scared your feeling like this as u say she works in mental health and mayb its a shock to her.
    Deep down she really wanted it to be something wrong with your blood tests but because there negative she does not know how to deal with it,
    Goodluck i am sure your mum is just scared you really need to communicate with her x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    flowergirl wrote: »
    Hey big hugs,
    I don't know much about how your feeling but my advise is write down what u have written here an let your mum read it.
    Maybe she is scared your feeling like this as u say she works in mental health and mayb its a shock to her.
    Deep down she really wanted it to be something wrong with your blood tests but because there negative she does not know how to deal with it,
    Goodluck i am sure your mum is just scared you really need to communicate with her x

This was also the first thought that came into my head about the sudden changes in your mum, she sounds scared, and maybe she is putting her head in the sand. Like... if she 'gives in' and acknowledges how you are feeling then she'll have to actually deal with it?