Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

=/

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
No idea where to put this, doesn't really have a topic. Also I don't really know that much about the situation, not the whole story anyway.

My dad is pretty likely going to lose his job in the new year when his company closes down. He is a few years off retirement, so I doubt he'll be able to get another job... I really don't know how these things work.

But the situation at home is not that great. I feel pretty useless being so many miles away. My parents provide financial support for my sister and I to get through uni... So, I feel a bit guilty about that, as a lot of their cash is going straight to us. Also slightly worried about the future... as I'm not sure I'd be able to make ends meet without their help. I suppose I might be able to get more money from student finance. I really don't want to make it harder for my parents :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed I guess.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No idea where to put this, doesn't really have a topic. Also I don't really know that much about the situation, not the whole story anyway.

My dad is pretty likely going to lose his job in the new year when his company closes down. He is a few years off retirement, so I doubt he'll be able to get another job... I really don't know how these things work.

But the situation at home is not that great. I feel pretty useless being so many miles away. My parents provide financial support for my sister and I to get through uni... So, I feel a bit guilty about that, as a lot of their cash is going straight to us. Also slightly worried about the future... as I'm not sure I'd be able to make ends meet without their help. I suppose I might be able to get more money from student finance. I really don't want to make it harder for my parents :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed I guess.

firstly *hug*

sry to hear that purple. your dad may still not lose his job or may be able to find new one still. know how feels both my pearents got made redundent a while ago.
    Sorry to hear this purplestarfish - finances, particularly parents finances are always really worrying - especially if you don't know the full story and feel really far away. Combined with feelings of helplessness and guilt and its not surprising you're finding it hard to manage. *hug*

Would it be worth chatting to your parents about your worries about the future and what they think will happen - explaining that you want to understand the situation so you know what you can do to help etc. Maybe next time you're home pick a time when everyone is around and relaxed and able to talk and bring up that there's some things you'd like to chat about and ask some questions about.

Once you have a clearer picture of their thoughts and plans, maybe you can do your own research - you're likely to be eligible for more bursaries and support if your parents income drops suddenly - and next year you may get more loan too. Have a chat to student finance about your concerns - they are unlikely to let you drop out as a result of lack of money - there are usually support systems in place to help people who are struggling.

Perhaps at this stage it is just about getting more information so you are not worrying about uncertainties and unknowns. And when you know a bit more you can start to work out how you and your family are going to move forwards.

Hugs :)
    Thanks Fostress :)

I've sent my mum an email so hopefully she'll get back to me. I won't be home until Christmas now, so will probably avoid bringing it up then. I'm just really hoping they'll be OK.

It is times like this when I hate being so far away. Generally, I reckon my relationship with my parents has improved since I've been living away from home, but I feel so out of the loop. And in 2 years I'm moving even further away. Hmm. I miss my sister (I'm a twin...) a hell of a lot. This is the longest I've not "seen" her since before we even existed lol. Gah, I never thought I would be homesick. This weekend most of my medic friends here are going to this big dinner thing, but at £45 a ticket it wasn't really something I can afford. The rest seem to be going home this weekend, and the same with half my flat. Hmmm. Guess I'm just whinging about feeling a little bit lonely.
    Hey again! Has your mum got back to you? It sounds like getting used to university and being away from everyone you are used to being close to is making things harder as well - feeling lonely and low can make everything else seem much harder to manage *hug*

Being a twin obviously has it's ups and downs and these first months/years apart must be really hard - but I guess it's about making sure you have support to get through it - as I suppose every twin has to go through it unless they live together forever :chin:

Lots of people do suddenly get surprised by being homesick at uni (often after being desperate to get away when they left) and it's totally natural. Make sure you keep lines of communication open, talk to your family and your sister (maybe even tell your mum you're feeling out of the loop - or that you're missing them), send them photos, emails, chat online and, if you need to, go back home for a visit. It will get easier and keeping talking to them will mean other things, like finances, will be something you can manage as a family group and you don't feel so unsure.

*hug*
    Heya

Just wanted to update this thread. Had some good-ish news regarding my dad. Won't go into details (I'm paranoid about a family member finding this :p ) But he is still going to have *some* although not very much work... but will have to commute which sucks for him though. But yeah. I guess things might be OK :)
    Heya

Just wanted to update this thread. Had some good-ish news regarding my dad. Won't go into details (I'm paranoid about a family member finding this :p ) But he is still going to have *some* although not very much work... but will have to commute which sucks for him though. But yeah. I guess things might be OK :)

Thats LOVELY news... I know it's not perfect, but it is a step forward my dear.