Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I wanna volunteer with a homeless charity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'd like to lend myself to volunteering, hopefully within the homeless/housing sector...

I know a fair bit about benefits, applying for jobs, CVs, the welfare state and other things which could be useful. I'm also a good listener, very calm and great with people.

However, so far the places I have contacted have not got back.

Any advice on where I can apply?

I don't want to work with a religious group or anything and I am not really arty, I'm more up on the policy, support, that kinda stuff...

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Namaste,
    Have you seen Olly's reply in the thread below yours? The OP also asked about volunteering for a homeless charity and so there were lots of useful links included.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=144829

:)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I volunteered with a homeless centre but it was run by the Salvation Army. It was really good, I did admin for them on the computer and helped at their Christmas party. Hope you find a good homeless centre that you can help.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Namaste,
    Have you had any luck with your search yet?

As Olly says there are lots of opportunities to volunteer for Homeless Shelters especially over the festive period. But there are also lots of other organisations such as Centrepoint where you can volunteer part-time to be a peer mentor to a young homeless person or Shelter who have a range of volunteering opportunities.

Its definitely worth starting by searching on do-it.org and vinspired.com with your postcode to see what is in your local area :)

Hope you find something that suits you!
    Laura
    first one that popped into my head if you fancy applying to work in kent http://www.porchlight.org.uk/ :)
    LauraO wrote: »
    Hi Namaste,
    Have you had any luck with your search yet?

As Olly says there are lots of opportunities to volunteer for Homeless Shelters especially over the festive period. But there are also lots of other organisations such as Centrepoint where you can volunteer part-time to be a peer mentor to a young homeless person or Shelter who have a range of volunteering opportunities.

Its definitely worth starting by searching on do-it.org and vinspired.com with your postcode to see what is in your local area :)

Hope you find something that suits you!
    Laura
    I actually filled out a form for CentrePoint, thanks for reminding me to send it off!

I am signed up as an E-campaigner for Shelter, but will maybe get in touch because I am very interested in the policy changes and concerned for people. Shelter will need more volunteers no doubt, given the cuts!

Thanks also, to other people for your ideas!