Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Self harm- hips.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, I kind of lost it today. Properly broke down, to the point where I was wanting to take tablets if I had any. Luckily, I suppose, I didn't.
But I ended up cutting my hip, the cuts aren't too deep or anything but there are a lot of them. Because they are on my hips as well, my clothes keep rubbing on them, and it really hurts when I walk!

I doubt there is anything I can do, but if anyone can think of anything to stop them rubbing so much it'd be much appreciated.
x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cream and a nice plaster or two would do some favours, it's still going to rub a bit though :(
    Hey BA
    sorry to hear you felt this way today, the only thing I can think of would be to cover them with a plaster or something similar to stop them rubbing against your clothes
    Always here if you need a chat :)
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hia B-A,

Sory to hear you cut your hip. Aare your cut's long, have they stopped bleeding. When did you do this last? I would suggest that you put plasters over it and also go to your GP and mention it and he/she should give you a cream. I'm not sure of the name sorry. You could also put something over it that will eaze the rubbing a bit but may still hurt
    tc x
    depending on size and how much clothes rub, would a bandage and gauze work better?
    Thanks,
    yeah.. they go from my side to my belly button pretty much, but it's only the ones on my hip that rub really.. So I think I might try and get a gauze for them. They keep bleeding on my clothes, because they rub, and it's rather annoying :/
    Can you get gauze's from morrisons and places? Or will I have to go to boots? xx
    I'm not sure, guess it depends on the size of Morrisons- should think a medium or large store should sell them, not so sure about smaller stores though.
    Okay thanks, I'll blag some money to get one x
    Sorry to hear about that. I often cut my legs and one advantage of cutting places that are covered in clothes is that it is a lot easier to cover up. Hope your okay x
    Thanks RG,
    Yeah, I used to cut the top of my thighs. But there are so many scars on them now... My whole body is just covered in scars :( I hate it. Part of me wants to get rid of them.. but then whenever I go to put on bio-oil or something, I just can't do it. I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself. x
    That's weird you should mention that but I have the same thing. I like looking at my scars. I have loads of them too, I can't imagine them not being there.
    Maybe try putting a small piece of plastic over the dressing to reduce the friction against the clothes? Sounds like a good excuse to stay in a nice pair of baggie pj's this weekend *hug*
    Hiya B-A, big big *hug*

As Evanstar said i think you should just stick to baggy pj's and spend a couple of days chiling out if you are able.

If you need to get dressed maybe you can stick to low riser jeans and just wear a baggy top over the top.

Its probaly a good idea to leave them uncoverd if you can stop the rubbing as they will dry out and heal quicker i think.

Sorry i cant be of more help i wish i could.

Stay strong xx
    Thank you guys :) I've been in trackies most the day on the sofa :P and I'm only going to my boyfriends tomorrow, so I'll be able to go in my trackies as well. Some of the cuts have gone a bit inflamed and purple-y :/ But I think they'll be okay.

I couldn't get a gauze, but I think I'm going to put plasters over the really bad ones.
    Thanks everyone :) xx
    Hi Broken-Angel,

Hope you're doing ok today. Most chemists will sell gauze fairly cheap in individual packets as well, the self adhesive ones could work well for somewhere difficult to bandage and you can get them in large sizes.

Make sure to put something on the cuts to keep them clean,

dp :heart:
    I've found those big rectangle gauze plasters are really good, they are kinda padded a bit? so less rubbing. Ummmm not sure how to explain them.. they are self adhesive and gauze-y in the middle?
    Okay thanks :) I didn't know there were sticky ones! I'll have to look out for them.
    The cuts don't rub as much any more, and I have plasters over the really bad ones. It still hurts to sleep on them though :( x
    yeh it will :( i dont like the stingy bit afterward. I can't find a pic of the bandages, but yeh....its like padded gauze on a plaster (they probs use em' at the docs/hospitals)
    Okay thanks :) I'll defo look out for them, the medical tape stuff is useless! It just comes un stuck, and then the gauze wont stay on. x
    Try wiping some surgical spirit, or any clear spirit with a high proof around the wounds, where you plan to stick the tape. Once it's dry, it helps the tape to stay stuck. Hope you're feeling a bit better now *hug*