Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Bedrest

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It's not quite that bad yet (except it is today) but I'm starting a sick leave from work because my mobility is drastically reduced.

Does anyone have any experience of being stuck at home and even confined to bed for long periods of time? I'm looking at the next 9-11 weeks which really seems like ages at the moment.

I'm meeting a doctor on monday to discuss me possibly being slightly depressed.

I just don't know what to do with all the time I will have on my hands. I am used to being fairly active and enjoying life on the move but now... :confused: I'm not sure if knitting is enough to stop me from going insane. I'm already feeling frustrated from pent up energy and no way to release it except bursting into tears. I'm not sure I can spend days and weeks watching tv either.

So much for the action-pregnancy I was planning on having! :grump: :p

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know it's not quite the same, but I've been off school all week and haven't left my house since last sunday.
    I've pretty much spent the whole week on the sofa, watching rubbish TV shows! But I'm getting slightly bored of it now, so I imagine 9 weeks of it would certainly drive you insane!

Maybe it'd be good to set yourself a project, or find a long term thing to do? I entered some writing contests, which gave me a lot to do! There's a lot of free short story and poetry competitions.
    Or, if you aren't into writing, I'm sure there are things like it for other hobbies :) x
    Ohh that does sound a bit crap.

My suggestion would be to listen to hypnobirthing cd's even if your not up for it during the actual birth at least you get a nice hour or so of chilling out each day.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Ohh that does sound a bit crap.

My suggestion would be to listen to hypnobirthing cd's even if your not up for it during the actual birth at least you get a nice hour or so of chilling out each day.

The wife did, even just to make her feel better, calmer and more relaxed
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I'm already feeling frustrated from pent up energy and no way to release it except bursting into tears.

Why not? You're annoyed, you're frustrated, you're epically hormonal. If I were you I would have a few good cries, and I bet you'll feel at least a teeny bit better.

11 weeks probably seems like an eternity now, but it will pass. I know it'll be crap for you if you're used to being active, but you have a definite end date, so try to focus on that. Plus once junior comes these days of lounging will be long gone, so try and enjoy doing things as you please.

If you're up and about, but just stuck at home, it might help you to still try to have some kind of structure to your days so it doesn't seem to just melt into one long prison sentence. Like you could say, I'll knit for an hour, then I'll make a meal, then I'll read a book for 2 hours, then have a nap. After the nap I'll bake, then I'll go outside to fill my lungs with fresh air, then I'll watch this film, then I'll have another meal, etc... Sounds stupid, but doing things in different rooms helps break up the time, so maybe you could, say, read in bed, but then knit in the living room or whatever.

I spent the last 6 weeks of my pregnancy inside hiding from the heatwave (which seemed to mysteriously vanish as soon as I was allowed out again :chin: ) and while I was a bit glum at the time, in hindsight it went so so fast. It'll be over before you know it :) And then you'll have a BABY :hyper:
    you poor thing. That really sucks.

only things I can think of, is to just remind yourself that its only temporary. Get yourself a DS or PSP or something, take the opportunity to do lots of reading, make sure people visit you (as long as they make the coffee), watch lots of dvds and surf the web. If you go on parenting forums youre bound to find people whove been through it too who might have more ideas
    Kaff wrote: »
    And then you'll have a BABY :hyper:

And a house that smells of poo :)

As far as being in bed a lot. Turn your matress EVERY day, well get someone else to turn it :). It'll help stop you getting pressure points that could lead to sores.
    Poor you :(

Can you take up a new hobby? I don't know what though.
    I spent a damn long time pretty much stuck in bed. Couldn't bend in the middle, which pretty much ruled out sitting down and was fighting infection in an open wound so was permanently knackered.

Quick run down of my top tips for now, and I'll have a think and get back to you with some more. Had a lot of practise, but I tend to try and forget about it.

1. Have a routine and a structure to your day.

2. This includes meals. Even if you're not massively hungry, try and stick to a pattern and vaguely plan them. This has two effects of stopping you snacking and grazing permanently and stacking on the weight - which depending on what you're like is a risk, and making sure you actually get a reasonably balanced nutritious diet. When you're not doing anything else its easy to forget to eat properly because you don't need to sit down to meals or think about them because its always an option.

3. Don't graze on food.

4. Go outside every day - even if it's only into the garden or one step outside the front door.

5. Open your curtains in the morning and shut them in the evening.

6. Get up, washed and dressed every morning and then ready for bed at bed time. Even if you're going to spend the day in louging round the house type clothes, make them different to your PJs, or at very least have different day and night ones.

7. Pick some TV series and get into watching them - religiously. May I take this opportunity to recommend Doctors (BBC1 13:45) and Neighbours (Ch5 17:30). Both rubbish, but on every day and good for filling time and having some interest.

8. Get into reading if you can. But ration yourself to an hour a day or something in that vein. So no sitting down and getting through a book in a day (unless its really really good). Local library is good for this, and there's nothing wrong with it being junk fiction.
    Thanks for the advise guys!

I've been playing around with crutches since yesterday and although I think it's lame they do help me move around the house less painfully.

I started a puzzle yesterday and this evening my dog ate a piece. I'm so gutted. :( I should probably stick to crocheting and reading...