Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Work wardrobe...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya guys,

So I'm starting a new job next month and I am really excited. The only problem is my wardrobe.

I've got "work clothes" so to speak but they are a bit battered and old (good old Primark/Tesco/Asda purchases) and I need to get together a capsule wardrobe for work that I can start off with an add to as time goes on (and the money goes up hopefully!)

I've got one trouser suit at the moment but it's looking a bit scruffy. I'd ideally like to get another suit (maybe a skirt one?), a few tops, a few smart pairs of trousers, a jumper and most importantly shoes. I've had real problems with footwear at my current job where I cycle in I can only really wear flats and the cheap flats I've been wearing have torn my feet to pieces. New job means a train journey which means I can probably get away with heels.

I'm a size 14/16 and have a rather large chest area if that helps at all.

And I really cannot face going to Primark... any suggestions would be great. Or even just some website tips!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I recently got a suit in Marks and Spencers.

ETA: Skirt suits are much harder to find than trouser suits I found, the one I got I got both skirt and trousers with it though but skirt suits were definately the minority.
  • Options
    I have a very nice Asda skirt suit, although I have the trousers to go with it as well.

Their website stock seems to be better than their shop floor stock from experience of our local one.

I'm 16/18 and similar chest area issue so tend to go for fitted t shirts rather than anything with buttons down the front. Probably one to aim for with more money rather than for now, but loads of people in the office are wearing boots with their skirts and they not only look damn good, but are good for keeping legs warm. There are loads of nice flat, or relatively flat ones around too.

Tesco have really nice pencil skirts at the moment, the £10 I reckon is nicer than the more expensive.

H&M are often good for plain smart t shirts 3/4 sleeve type which are good for most offices with smart bottoms.
  • Options
    Hey Scary Monster and Random Girl,

Brilliant answers thank you! Like you I tend to go for strap tops under suit jackets, particularly H&M ones they have loads with great detailing on the straps and they tend to make it easier to colour co-ordinate.

My new office is kind of in the styx and I'm looking at getting my old boots re-heeled (I've got quite large calves so I find buying boots a right old pain).

Toying with the idea of some UGGs as well. I'm a sucker for comfort and I can decide whether to get a pair of the black ones and wear them for work or go for the Chestnut ones and keep them for play...
  • Options
    Maybe see what work is like first. Uggs here would be a little bit border like on the professionals.

If they're out for the office, then you know the answer.
  • Options
    Good plan :)
  • Options
    i'm blatantly in the same position (not actually got a new job, but fingers crossed i'm going to get one soon!!) where are all the nice work clothes???
  • Options
    i'm blatantly in the same position (not actually got a new job, but fingers crossed i'm going to get one soon!!) where are all the nice work clothes???

there are none! ihavent got a uniform for my new job yet so i have to wear smart work clothes and i can never find anything, all i wear is smart black pants and those jumpers that have shirts underneath cos they look quite nice. thats all i can find!

ps hiya ;)
  • Options
    I work in an office and I wear leggings a lot to work, they tend to go with everything, just an idea as they are quite a cheap alternative (but I don't know whether your employer would approve) , asos does some nice work wear for cheapish prices too :)
  • Options
    I really like Next, Dot Perkins and H&M for quality work stuff (when i can afford it! i usually get plain tshirts from primark and then nice trousers etc from the above shops)