Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bread Making

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Getting back in to bread making and want your thoughts on a few things.

1. Dried yeast vs fresh yeast. Had a look round the net and it seems that a good rate of conversion is 50g of fresh yeast = 25g of dried yeast. Anyone got an experience of this ?

2. When i make things like nutty bread, or olive bread, sundried tomato etc if i use granary/wholemeal the bread doesn't seem to rise very well. Is this because there's less gluten in wholemeal/granary than white ? I bought some 'super strong' white flour today, see if that helps.

3. Any more ideas for things to put in 'savoury' breads ? Got the usual suspects, various nuts and seeds, sun dried tomatos (should i soak them or put them in dry) onion/garlic granules and herbs. Anything else i could try ?

Comments

• Options
    Bread making really not a skill of mine, but had some amazing bread with a posh cheese board/table thing at a fancy do I was at in London not that long ago.

They had all sorts in there, dried apricots, figs, herbs (but fresh, or at least whole rather than dried powder). Twas super super yummy. And more than one thing in the bread, so there wasn't one with fig and another with apricot and one with herb and one with nuts, but all in one.
  • Options
    Apricot bread sounds nice, should go well with cheesey dishes and maybe a curry. Make a change to a naan.
  • Options
    How to make bread, by katralla. Walk or drive to shop, buy, consume :D
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    katralla wrote: »
    How to make bread, by katralla. Walk or drive to shop, buy, consume :D
    Haha LOL.

I learnt to make bread in year 8. But forgot :-/ so meh :')
  • Options
    I always use dried yeast, just find it's so much more convenient and still works perfectly well. Conversion is something I'm less sure about, but I normally use a sachet and a half of dried yeast to make two 1lb loaves of bread.
  • Options
    My mum insists on fresh yeast but I don't know why.
  • Options
    Coz you can eat it, and it's good for you :)

Some people like to do things the traditional or old way. I always make cakes by the creaming method, not the all in one, but thats because i really enjoy cooking and my way takes longer :)

Ta for the info Fossy :)
  • Options
    ^^

Hee hee.

RS said creaming.
  • Options
    Lucky i didn't say chocolate ring......................doughnut.

Well i made a sundried tomato flatbread with this super strong white flour. Flat, yeah right. After is was proved it looked like the baking tin had thrown up :D Was fucking everywhere.

Wasn't too bad though, except i got the bread maker to do the hard work and that chopped up the tomatoes too much, so next time i think i'll get it to make the dough, then knead the tomatoes in my hand afterwards.
  • Options
    Oh I love bread. I want a bread maker but they are so damn expensive. I've never really attempted making bread before, besides something like banana zucchini or pumpkin bread.