Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Legs &+ Cramps

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I get really bad cramps in my legs and aswell as some exercises from the physio ive been advised to eat more salt.
thing is i find it hard to eat fatty foods and junk food, but i need more salt. what can i eat that has plenty of salt but not too much fat and calories?

Comments

• Options
    Soup. You put a fair bit of salt in soup and not notice it. Scrambled eggs as well. Obvious thing would be salted peanuts/crisps but unfortunately high in fat.

ARe you on medication that reduces salt in your body ?
  • Options
    Oh, ill try soup then (: i love soup anyway so thats good.

No, im not on any medication, i have an eating disorder, and i dont eat much salt because of it, hence the finding it hard to eat foods high in fat. i mostly eat like fruit, vegetables, wholegrains and fat free yoghurts, oh and soup sometimes. but eventually it should be ok, just not yet. also, i had the cramps before i had an eating disorder as dancers dont eat lots of salty things generally.

Also im a dancer and i get the cramps a lot

i drink this disgusting solution of a pint of squash with a teaspoon or salt and a teaspoon of sugar in. it works mostly but its hard to swallow and makes you feel sick for about an hour
  • Options
    LilzoLilzo Posts: 38 Boards Initiate
    Hi Lemon :wave:

You may also find that eating more Magnesium rich foods may help. Magnesium plays an important role in muscle contraction and relaxation so be sure to be eating lots of leafy green vegetables, nuts and wholegrains.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on!

Lilzo:)
  • Options
    In which case cracking salt into food you're eating anyway is probably the best way. Soup can hide a lot, as can gravy. Adding to pans you cook in, so salt the pasta/veg water.
  • Options
    you can add salt anywhere. I put salt on my tomatoes, if I have cold dinner, on my cheese, on my butterbread. Salt goes with everything, just add more to whatever you eat.

Maybe get your magnesium level checked, as it's often times a trigger for cramps and spasms in the muscle.
  • Options
    Oh right, how do i go about getting my magnesium checked?

ill try all those things. thing is im not too keen on salt :L but im trying haha!

It doesnt just happen when i dance anymore, it can even be when im sitting or sleeping :grump:
  • Options
    I know the cramps your refering to. I get them when I'm sleeping, usually wakes me and it is unbelievably painful. I just assumed they were normal!