Home Home, Law & Money
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Major problem with pay at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru

I new here. I found the site from a google search I was doing.

Just wondering if anyone could help me out a little before I contact my union.

I work in a primary school as a nursery nurse. I love my job to pieces and it really doesn't pay much. Last summer we closed the nursery in the afternoons, so I went to work in other classes in the school. In January we are re-opening the afternoon nursery but because the goverment have upped the hours children get to 15hours a week, we had to change the session times meaning I now need to work an extra half an hour each day. This is not a problem, although how it has all been handled is very upsetting.

I just got a new contract in my pigeon hole and no one spoke to me. I've dealt with this now with the head teacher but the problem sits with my pay.

It turns out i've been paid wrong for the last 2yrs, they've been paying me too much. Which means my contract was first wrote up wrong. They are paying me for working 52weeks of the year but I only work 44weeks because of the school holidays.

Looking at the new contract its short of £800 each year, which doesn't seem alot to some people but for me it is.

Can they drop my salery by the £800 or will I just have to work the extra hours and not get any more pay but keep the £800 per year?

I've got myself into a real panic over this as i'm in the middle of buying a house etc.

I hope you've managed to read this.



  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If it had in your original contract that you got paid the way you did, then there shouldn't be anything they can do about that.

    If the £800 a year is needed then if you can do the hours that would stop you from losing the money, then it might be worth doing so.

    However it all depends on if you were on a yearly/temporary or a permanent contract. If you contract said you were getting paid for the 44 weeks a year then it would make sense that they could drop your pay if you got too much, but if your contract was incorrect then I'm not sure what would happen surrounding this.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dunno if this still apllies as it was some time ago, but i was overpaid at work once and the company were legally entitled to ask for and/or take the money back out of my pay. There may be different rules applay as it dates back 2 years (with me we were inforned 2 days after the mistake happend). Might be an idea to speak to C.A.B. or your union.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's an askTheSite function too, this would be a good question for that. They're generally really good.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey and welcome to the site! :wave:

    It seems like you're in a tricky situation here with your employer and pay.

    Changes to employment contracts happen all the time as either employers or employees wish to change things such as pay, hours of work or job roles. Please see the links above and link below to useful pages of the Direct Gov website.

    Problems arise when either party disagrees with the changes proposed by the other party. In your case you are essentially disagreeing with your employer changing the rate of pay in the contract. Your employer should really have discussed this with you first before drafting a new contract.

    If you continue or start to work under the new terms you can be found to have accepted them. Therefore, you should voice your concerns with your employer immediately as well as talking to your union as your employer cannot bring in any changes they like. Express your concerns and inform your employer that you don't agree with them.

    If you employer tries to force the new terms then you can bring a claim for damages against them for any financial loss you suffer as a result.

    If you require any further legal assistance you can contract your local Citizen's Advice Bureau . Use the link to enter your postcode to find your local office.

    Alternatively, you can contact a solicitor using the Community Legal Advice website. Again enter your postcode and area of law you require to find solicitor's in your area.

    Keep us posted and goodluck.

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    totally the same idea, really subtle.
Sign In or Register to comment.