Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

smoke detectors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
is it illegal to not have these in rented properties? do landlords have to supply them?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey,

Do landlords have to provide smoke detectors?

In a word the answer to your question is ‘yes’. However, I think it is important to understand why. Logically speaking however, it is in everyone’s best interest to have a working smoke detector in the property.

The rules differ depending on what kind of property it is. For example there are extra requirements for Houses in Multiple Occupation.

If you don’t live in a HMO then your landlord has a duty to provide a safe property. If you are the tenant and you feel that your property is not safe then the first step should be to contact your landlord. They might be prepared to provide you with the necessary equipment.

If your landlord does not comply with your requests you can contact your local authority’s tenancy relations officer and ask them to either contact your landlord for you or they will inspect your home to see if there is a danger.

Please also note that landlords must ensure that all upholstered furniture is fire safe. Again, if this isn’t the case then ask your landlord to replace the furniture or go to your local council for more help.

The Local Government Regulation (formerly LACORS?) has published information about this. You can view the publication at http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/pdf/FireSafety.pdf. It is aimed at landlords but it provides practical information about keeping homes safe from fire.

Shelter has also provided guidance on this. You can access this using the following link; http://england.shelter.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/23381/Advice_booklet_Gas_and_fire_safety.pdf.

I hope this helps.
    i live in a rented unfurnished flat with my boyfriend. there has never been any smoke alarms in it since we moved in, we were wondering if we need to ask the landlord for some or if we had to buy them ourselves. thanks for the link but its a bit complicated and i cant really find what im looking for
    Normally you can get the for free, i'm sure i read somewhere that a the guv made it so people could get them for free, because many people thought "it'll never happen to me i don't need one" in a way to reduce house fires. Don't quote me on this, i'm not 100% myself.
    I'd buy my own because the cheap ones don't have the "yes, I'm cooking bacon" button.

But I'd guess you need permission from your landlord to fit them.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I'd buy my own because the cheap ones don't have the "yes, I'm cooking bacon" button.

But I'd guess you need permission from your landlord to fit them.

Is that the same as the rip it out of the ceiling and let it dangle and wait until the dude comes home to fix it button?
    my name wrote: »
    Is that the same as the rip it out of the ceiling and let it dangle and wait until the dude comes home to fix it button?

Hahaaha, this post alone is evidence as to why thesite.org needs a facebook style "Like" button feature!

POTW!
    Hey Guys,

Your posts did make me giggle, but sorry that I didn't explain myself clearly earlier, think I just got a bit carried away.

The 1991 Smoke Detectors Act says that buildings made after 1992 have to have smoke detectors on each floor.
    For buildings before 1992 there is no requirement for there to be smoke detectors, but, there is a common law duty of care that landlords have towards tenants, and they can be held liable if there was ever an accident. Therefore it is in their best interests to have smoke alarms fitted into the property.

Also, check your tenancy agreements for information about who is responsible for maintaining the detectors.

I hope this is more clearer and apologies for my earlier post.

:)
    I'd recommend you get renters insurance before its too late. Especially if your landlord is kinda shady...:no:

We got charged a TON of money from the manager of an apartment complex we lived in and had NOTHING to do with the messes we were responsible for.
    i think u can get them for free
    Old thread so I'm closing it now - don't forget to check the dates before you post :)
This discussion has been closed.