Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

are GHDs really better?

ive got some nice babyliss cordless straighterners, but i cant seem to make my hair as straight or shiny as when the hairdresser does it.
Is this because of technique or because my straightners are not GHD
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It might just be the quality of your straighteners... I wouldn't of thought cordless ones would be that great, wouldn't be able to get enough heat would you?

All my friends rave about GHDs but I don't think they're that great, whenever they straighten my hair with them it takes ages, but with the straighteners I have it takes 15-20 minutes max.

I use Nicky Clarke Desired, and they're amazing, I love them!
    Amazon have them half price: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicky-Clarke-Desired-Professional-Straightener/dp/B001JQLGDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288183280&sr=8-1 :)

But if your straighteners go to a right temperature maybe it is how your doing it? Do you split your hair into sections (Bottom layer, Middle, Top, - more if you have thicker hair) then take a small bit from each section? You may have to go over it a few times to get it straight.
  • Options
    iv tried loads of different straighteners but they are neeever as good as GHD's. i dont think you can beat them to be honest.
  • Options
    iv tried loads of different straighteners but they are neeever as good as GHD's. i dont think you can beat them to be honest.

:no: i treated myself to a new pair (i broke my previous pair by accidently sitting on them :blush: and then used cheapo ones for a bit) a few months ago and you just can't get better than ghds. i curl/add volume my hair with mine too.
  • Options
    I've found that they don't have to be GHDs, but that same kind of ceramic straightener works best on my hair. A few different brands do them now.

On the flip side, GHD style straighteners damage my hair way more than other kinds.
  • Options
    I have GHDs yet me hair still never goes as smooth as at the hairdressers. Think it's because they use SO much product on my hair though.
  • Options
    :no: i treated myself to a new pair (i broke my previous pair by accidently sitting on them :blush: and then used cheapo ones for a bit) a few months ago and you just can't get better than ghds. i curl/add volume my hair with mine too.

thats what i said, that you cant beat them! ha :]
  • Options
    I had some GHDs and hated them, gave them away. Bought some fakes- GHSs and got on well with them, currently using some babyliss ones and still rate them higher than GHDs. Maybe it's the products your hairdresser uses?
  • Options
    I have a pair of cheap Conair (much cheaper than their suggested price :p) http://www.conair.com/2-ceramic-instant-heat-straightener-p-59.html and it makes my poofy hair too stick straight even on the lowest setting. I'd go with Kat and say its the products... or your hair type, or perhaps the iron, but I'd say very little to do with that. I think people just like the GHD brand here and don't give others a try :P
  • Options
    GHDs are so overrated ^_^
  • Options
    :heart: GHDs, I've had mine for about 6 years now but they're finally on their way out. Getting a new pair for xmas though :d
  • Options
    I am on my 2nd pair of ghd's they are the best the only snag is thou they have no temp control which if like me u have fine hair its easily damaged, i think if u have alot of hair thick or curly ghds are better if u have not much hair a cheaper version would be ok the way to get your hair straight like in a salon is to make sure your hair is 100% dry b4 u straighten it and go throu each section slowly and pull straight down. Hope this helps, whats funny is thou i never wear my hair straight i always use mine to put random curls throu hair lol x
  • Options
    The lack of temp control sucks for curly thick hair too, as curly hair often has different textures though it and would benefit from the different sections being treated differently.
  • Options
    I use remington hair straighteners. I have done for years, they are on their way out now though :(
    I have used ghds and I find my hair is just as straight as when I use the remingtons.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I had some GHDs and hated them, gave them away. Bought some fakes- GHSs and got on well with them, currently using some babyliss ones and still rate them higher than GHDs. Maybe it's the products your hairdresser uses?

I agree, I have both GHD's and Babyliss Pro 230 and christmas after christmas I always seem to buy the new Babyliss Pro 230 in a different colour. I think they work alot better than over rated GHD's. Just to add they curl your hair alot better than GHD's too I find :)
  • Options
    i loved my first pair of ghds, but when they broke and had to be replaced my second pair are not as good.