Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cant sleep.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have to get up for college in three hours and I havnt slept a wink.
Does any one know if you can overdose on nytol?
Already taken three and its had no effect.
I hate not getting to sleep at night, theres nothing for me to do but lie in bed and cry over how terrible I feel. And then I feel even worse cus it gets to 2 in the mornin and Im still awake.
Iv never been awake this long before.
I am so tiered, Im about ready to give up. I hate it, I hate myself, I hate everything.
I just want to go to sleep.

Comments

• Options
    you poor thing. Insomnia is awful. Ive had some terrible bouts of it where i dont sleep at all and sleeping pills dont overrride the anxiety enough to get me off to sleep.
    I hope you managed to doze off in the end
  • Options
    you poor thing. Insomnia is awful. Ive had some terrible bouts of it where i dont sleep at all and sleeping pills dont overrride the anxiety enough to get me off to sleep.
    I hope you managed to doze off in the end

I did eventually thanks, at like 5 in the morning. And, of course, then I slept through all of my alarms. Ive completely missed college, only woke up like 10 minutes ago. My tutors are going to slaughter me, I bet I missed something important. Great.:banghead:

How did you manage to get past it?
  • Options
    the only thing that works for me, is being on medication for my anxiety.
    I also find a glass of red wine in the evening helps (any other type of alcohol keeps me awake). Chamomile tea is also surprisingly relaxing.
    You need to start your relaxation routine early on in the evening though, to stop the adrenaline getting too high to affect your sleep. Unfortunatly I find that im a bit of a slave to it and i have to be really careful, because there are lots of things that will disrupt my sleep. Its just working out whats doing it for you
  • Options
    Argh, sorry to hear this Dixierebels, insomnia is so hard. Suzycreamcheese is right, it's often about working out what is is that's stopping you sleeping - perhaps experimenting with different things that might help. I'm sure that people on here has loads of suggestions about what works for them - but you might also find it useful to have a look at this page on insomnia from TheSite.org and this one from NHS Choices which goes into quite a lot of detail.

Another thing that might be worth thinking about is having a chat with one of your tutors to explain what's going on - they may be able to give you some extra time and it would help them to understand why you missed college.

Finally, it sounded like you were feeling very low in your original thread. Try and remember that lack of sleep can really affect your mood and make everything look darker - so when you're feeling rubbish it might help to try and keep telling yourself it's just the tiredness affecting you. This might help you stop the downwards spiral into hating everything and feeling low.

*hug*
  • Options
    Yes you can OD on Nytol. I once took a whole box of the one-a-night ones because I wanted to sleep (possibly forever). I had awful spasms in my arm and leg muscles that night and it didn't aid sleep and I was very drowsy the next day. I haven't touched Nytol since.
  • Options
    Whenever I can't sleep I get up and get a cold glass of water and then snuggle under my sheets. It doesn't matter what time it is. Always works.