Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pregnacy Testing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am just wondering how accurate home testing really is?

I am 3 days late for my period, and today I used a clearblue digital test which showed postive 1-2weeks. But as I've been used to seeing negatives (as we have been trying for a baby for a while now) I didn't believe it so I got 2 more tests, the normal clearblue ones and those both showed a very faint but positive +. So that would be 3 positive tests.

When my Husband got home he took me out to get one more, which was a digital clear blue one and that came up not pregnant (though I did have alot to drink and must have been to the toilet say 5 times in just over an hour)

I know everyone will say go see doctor, I am tomorrow. But its playing on my mind, would I be pregnant or not?

Comments

• Options
    Lollieee wrote: »
    I am just wondering how accurate home testing really is?

I am 3 days late for my period, and today I used a clearblue digital test which showed postive 1-2weeks. But as I've been used to seeing negatives (as we have been trying for a baby for a while now) I didn't believe it so I got 2 more tests, the normal clearblue ones and those both showed a very faint but positive +. So that would be 3 positive tests.

When my Husband got home he took me out to get one more, which was a digital clear blue one and that came up not pregnant (though I did have alot to drink and must have been to the toilet say 5 times in just over an hour)

I know everyone will say go see doctor, I am tomorrow. But its playing on my mind, would I be pregnant or not?

well if you have had 3 postivtive is sounds like you might be pregnant, when i done it last year i tool two that were both postive, one was faint line but made sure that i went to the doctor to just make sure i was. you should go to the doctor to just make sure and there tests are more acturate and they will confirm it, but if you have had 3 postivie and 1 negative, it is weighing up more that you are, i would say your most likly pregnant
  • Options
    Home testing is pretty accurate when tests are taken in the right way, but false positives and negatives can occur due to several reasons. However its important to note that false positives are less common than false negatives.... which basically means that if you get a positive test result, it is pretty likely that you are pregnant.

Best bet if you're worried is to see your GP - after all, you'll need to seem them anyway if you are indeed pregnant :)

All the best :)
  • Options
    See, the later in the day it gets, the fainter the results are due to fluid passing through quicker there is less of the hormones in the urine, early morning is best. first pee of the day.

Up here if you tell the doc/gp you've had one or two positive tests, they go by that and don't usually bother with one of there own. This is because they are so accurate.
  • Options
    Pregnancy tests tend to be most accurate when done first thing in the morning, so if your positives showed up then it sounds like good news :)

The NHS has a comprehensive guide to home testing , it says to

'Check the instructions to make sure you can do the test at any time of day. Avoid drinking too much fluid before doing the test because it can dilute the level of HCG in your urine'. Possibly this could explain your negative result?

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2308.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=127

Fingers crossed for you.
  • Options
    thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    youre pregnant
  • Options
    Ahhh i remember my 2 tests with both my children they were soooo faint i had to hold it up 2 the light and yes i was pregnant both times its a hormone that u get when pregnant which makes the line show up, i would most deffo say u were welldone x
  • Options
    if ud had four pees previously in the space of that hour it would probably be the hormone was too low by that point to be detected by the test. if you do one in the morning with ur first pee of the day u'll likely get a strong positive
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone, the doctor confirmed that I am pregnant, and he was more convinced by my tests than the one he did. He thinks the home pregnancy tests are more accurate :)
  • Options
    they are! You dont really get false positives, only false negatives.

Congratulations x
  • Options
    Lollieee wrote: »
    Thanks for the help everyone, the doctor confirmed that I am pregnant, and he was more convinced by my tests than the one he did. He thinks the home pregnancy tests are more accurate :)

Congratulations :d X
  • Options
    congrats.....
  • Options
    Congratulations :)
  • Options
    Congratulations! :)
  • Options
    I got a scare like that in college. Turns out two positives were wrong. I recommend people take a pregnancy test at least once a year if they are active. Good luck.:d
  • Options
    Congratulations xx.