Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Limited/suspended on Paypal

Paypal supposedly has a yearly income limit of £1700 per account. What they don't tell you is that it's actually a lifetime limit of £1700 per account. After being their customer for almost 10 years, I finally hit that figure (by selling a Tinkerbell DVD for £4.69 lol), and my account has become limited.

First, they wanted to verify by landline. Because I'm on cable internet and I only wanted to pay mobile line rental, I decided not to go with landline. Paypal's next option was to send a code to my snail mail address. Snail mail indeed. They promised 10 working days, but still not a sausage after a month.

Meanwhile, they wanted photo ID (passport), a utility bill and a recent bank statement. I feel like I'm giving my entire identity away. Anyway, what they also wanted, stumped me. They want something off me called a residence certificate. What the fooking hell is one of those? I've googled it, Mum's googled it and we can't find any such references. I suppose I could email them on their "24 hour response" email address, but 24 hours, my ass.

Any ideas here? I'm at the end of my tether with these lying buggers.

ID.png
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've had all this myself before, but for other reasons. I had landline, and I got a code for snail mail. I said I wasn't sending any details of my passport [which is OOD anyway] or utilies, since I don't pay the main bills in my name. They got the message after a few days, and my account was reinstated.

Guess all you can try and do is bitch down the phone, or try changing your account type, then changing it back at a later date.
    Uuuuurgh for fook's sake. Now they're telling me to change my registered name. I'm on there Benjy and it's in my email. But no, they want a name-change so that it matches the name on my statement i.e. formal "Benjamin" name. How pedantic is this getting? I mean, most Elizabeths are called Liz aren't they? Okay, I can kinda understand "Chris" because that can be either genders, Christopher & Christine, but Liz is deffo female and Benjy is deffo male.
    Seems they are causing you trouble. You should contact customer support and make a complain. :impissed: :impissed:
    Thanks Poppins :-) To follow you up:

I contacted Paypal to question their 'residence certificate', and they ultimately backed down with my passport, a recent statement, a recent bill and the name-change. My account was then reinstated yesterday. Although it was good news in the end, I still think that the process was conducted unprofessionally. First of all, some mail was promised within 10 working days which never arrived, only then to find that they needed documents & name-change instead.

The only uncertainty now is that I no longer have a "view limits" button, so there is no way of me knowing when I hit the next £1700 limit. Oh well, it took me just shy of 10 years to hit the first £1700, so it's nothing to worry about right now.

Thanks again.