Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Foot tattoos

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been contemplating getting a tattoo for years, and I'd like one on my foot and/or wrist. Trouble is, I've heard foot tattoos can be a bit dodgy as they can fade and go out of shape quicker due to the skin on the foot takes a bit more of a bashing. So does anyone have one or know someone that's had one for quite a while? Do they fade quite badly, is it something that can be touched up or will they end up looking a mess?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    foot tattoos are fucking painful, if you do go for one on the foot be prepared for it to swell up for at least a few days meaning it will be painful to walk

I've never heard of them fading any fast than normal tattoos though there maybe some truth in that, as the foot is always in use and the skin rubs of quicker (I think)

As to whether they can be touched up, any decent tattoo artist will be able to do this easylish depending on the complexity of the design, if its very complex then it would be hard to have it done but simple very easy

Hope its helps
  • Options
    Fuckin' ouch. Supposed to be one of the most painful places to have them done...
  • Options
    I've also heard people say that they tickle :confused:
  • Options
    pain-women.png
  • Options
    i have a large tattoo that goes from the toes all the way down the foot and along the outer side.

FUCKING OUCH!! id heard before getting it that it would be sore, and this was my 4th tattoo so i figured it wouldnt be too bad but it was worse than expected!!
    I couldnt walk properly or put my whole weight on the foot for about a week, and then things became alright.

in terms of colour, they tend to fade when u get it done close to the sole. the skin there is very thin and wears easily from walking so id say youd notice colour fading after maybe.. 6 months - to a year?! depending on the colour of it of course - apparently black fades slower than colour.
    Ive had mine just over 2 years now, and the bit thats lowest down on the foot along the side is the only bit thats faded. doesnt take much to get it redone though, as long as u dont mind going through the pain again!!!

I do think foot tattoos are v pretty tho and id recommend getting one there!
  • Options
    My 2nd tattoo was on the foot and it did not hurt me :d i have a high pain threshold thou lol they can fade specially in the summer with the sun on your feet i always apply a high sun cream factor to stop them fading or losing colour.
    I love foot tattoos and wrist ones i have both want one on my thumb next :d x
  • Options
    flowergirl wrote: »
    My 2nd tattoo was on the foot and it did not hurt me :d i

I feel quite safe in saying bullshit to this, it may not have hurt hugely but all tattoos are goint to hurt to some extent as your having a needle jabbed into your body repeatedly, you may thing that it didn't hurt that much when you think back to it but I'm sure that at the time you were in some degree of pain that in somewhere like the back of the leg
    soraliah wrote: »
    apparently black fades slower than colour.

Theres truth behind that, colour pigment in tattoos is faded quicker by the sun but so long as you look after your tattoos it shouldn't faded noticably quicker
  • Options
    My daughter has just had both her feet done along the tops and boy did they swell up! they were like elephant feet.. Mind you, she had sizeable tattoos done, if you're going for something a bit whimsycal then it shouldn't be too bad. Plenty of sunblock in the summer etc, they'll stay looking fresh for years. That's my trick anyway, I've some that still look spanking brand new and they're about ten yrs old.. Oh. and for healing, you can't beat preparationH, honestly, works wonders..
  • Options
    which is exactly why I called bullshit, any foot tattoo is going to swell up for at least a day or 2 making walking painful let alone having a needle stabbed in and out of it
    And seen as the foot is mostly bone thats going to hurt

Not to put OP off, they're still worth getting as they look AWESOME
  • Options
    curly_boy wrote: »
    which is exactly why I called bullshit, any foot tattoo is going to swell up for at least a day or 2 making walking painful let alone having a needle stabbed in and out of it
    And seen as the foot is mostly bone thats going to hurt

Not to put OP off, they're still worth getting as they look AWESOME

My foot did not swell and it did not hurt and its not bullshit my hubbi and the tattooist could not believe it was not hurting me i also had another one done on the bony part of my shoulder and this did not hurt either.
    :d maybe i am odd and feel no pain who knows but its not very nice to say BULLSHIT !!!. X
  • Options
    no offence meant but I seriously cannot believe that as it is physically impossible for it not to hurt even a small amount, even when I've had my back leg tat done that hurt and that was going into flesh no-where near bone so I'm sorry but I just think that thats complete and utter lies saying that it didn't hurt in anyway and your foot didn't swell up
  • Options
    I am unsure about the pain from a tattoo on your foot I'd agree with believing it hurts alottt but looks really nice. I do have a tattoo on my hand and to be honest I am a real whimp with pain and needles etc and I felt faint at first, I had a sugary drink and I was fine I think it's just the initial reaction. I say to everyone if I can cope so can anyone ha :)
  • Options
    cute on a girl, gay on a guy
  • Options
    cute on a girl, gay on a guy

You say that as if there is something wrong with being gay?
  • Options
    I love tattoos on Men and woman if they have chosen the right piece for the right part of their body!!!!
    To Curly Boy just so u get an idea how my pain threshold is high i had major surgery on my tummy and just took paracetomols (spelt that wrong ) the nurse said i should have been having Morphine shots, i said to her its not that bad!!
    I had both my children naturally with no pain relief and guess what it honest to god did'nt hurt i enjoyed both my labours. ( i think maybe i am a little odd) Lol
    Have a fun weekend x
  • Options
    Theres no way it didn't hurt, considering I spend alot of time hanging out in a tattoo studio I know a fair bit and seen a considerable amount of tattos done (and possibly going to be a tattoo apprentice), I've not actually met anyone thats said "oh my foot tattoo didn't hurt a single bit" which is exactly what your saying

Also, if you had major surgery you would be put under general anstetic (spelt right??) minor surgery possibly but I still don't believe that you felt NO pain when having a foot tattoo done, let alone putting any pressure on it the day after having it done because it WOULD have swelled up a certain amount, this varies between people but theres absoulutly no chance that it wouldn't swell making it slightly painfull to walk
  • Options
    exactly....

I agree.. I call bullshit.. I just had BOTH feet done two weeks ago.. The pain has just subsided. My feet were swollen and it was painful. To say you felt nothing - is BS

curly_boy wrote: »
    I feel quite safe in saying bullshit to this, it may not have hurt hugely but all tattoos are goint to hurt to some extent as your having a needle jabbed into your body repeatedly, you may thing that it didn't hurt that much when you think back to it but I'm sure that at the time you were in some degree of pain that in somewhere like the back of the leg

Theres truth behind that, colour pigment in tattoos is faded quicker by the sun but so long as you look after your tattoos it shouldn't faded noticably quicker
  • Options
    They are so fucking painful.
  • Options
    Mine did'nt :d I am guessing u must have something big done ?
    Where as mine is teeny tiny and it did not hurt x
  • Options
    My ex got a 5x3 in blue rose done on his right foot 2 years ago and a very intricately drawn Jesus on his left foot a year ago. Neither have faded at all. A big reason for that, though, is because he usually wears sandals and rarely ever wears real shoes. And considering pain, he did it was pretty painful but that it wasn't by far his most painful.