Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Did not get the job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had a job interview for a grotto helper in our local shopping center, and just heard today that i did not get it because she said she could not offer me any shift but dont see why not as is the easeist job people can do as she the times were just 9-6 and could either do 1 day or the maxiuam of 6.

but i know the exact reason i did the get the job because of my health, as why would they hire someone with long term conditions and disabilty when they can hire someone perfectualy healthy :mad:

feel like doing this at the moment :banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can understand your frustration. I also got turned down from a job today and have been looking since feb for a job.

It is definately very tough and employers out there today are so picky!!
    Try not to take it to heart too much and stay positive :)
    Barrym20 wrote: »
    I can understand your frustration. I also got turned down from a job today and have been looking since feb for a job.

It is definately very tough and employers out there today are so picky!!
    Try not to take it to heart too much and stay positive :)

i have been looking for over a year now, and am allowded to take to heart as being discrimated against, people cant turn someone down just based on thier health, i could of done the job just as good as anybody else, i work around my conditions
    Maybe ask for feedback as to why you didn't get the job?
    No offence meant or intended here, but can you be 100% sure there was not other people who did better in the interview and therefore got offered the job, even with no health issues taken into consideration?
    I didnt mean to offend you in any way, was just trying to be nice and encourage you to stay positive as I know how hard it is from my experience. Take care :) X
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    No offence meant or intended here, but can you be 100% sure there was not other people who did better in the interview and therefore got offered the job, even with no health issues taken into consideration?

:yes:

From reading your post it sounded like she couldn't give you any shifts as there were others who were better at interview and therefore they got the shifts. That was my first impression.

It's a tough world out there and as there are so many people applying for each and every job then I think that employers are entitled to be picky. Particlarly a job like an elf. I don't think it's as simple and straightforward to be an elf as you are making it out to be (sorry).

You cannot just assume that the reason is your health issues but now you just need to brush yourself down and move on. Dwelling in it won't get you the job.
    betsy wrote: »
    Maybe ask for feedback as to why you didn't get the job?

i know the exact reason i did not get the job
    sinead1992 wrote: »
    i know the exact reason i did not get the job

I'm not trying to be nitpicky or anything but how do you know that the exact reason you didn't get the job is because of health reasons?
    :yes:

From reading your post it sounded like she couldn't give you any shifts as there were others who were better at interview and therefore they got the shifts. That was my first impression.

It's a tough world out there and as there are so many people applying for each and every job then I think that employers are entitled to be picky. Particlarly a job like an elf. I don't think it's as simple and straightforward to be an elf as you are making it out to be (sorry).

You cannot just assume that the reason is your health issues but now you just need to brush yourself down and move on. Dwelling in it won't get you the job.

well there was only one shift and she was looking for a few people or must be as the closing date for applications as done up to 6th nov, so clearly did not have a enough people, elf is easy as i know and have experiance with working with children, i know it would of been my health as cant do as much as normal people, and i am not dwelling just pissed off that like many people am still getting discrimated against
    With all respect, unless you have been told this by the person who interviewed you, you don't. Forgive me if this was stated to you when you were told of the result of the interview, but from the original post it seems as though you are assuming your health played a part in this.

As G-Raffe and littlemissy have said it is a tough job market out there and more people are applying for jobs meaning more competition. I know people who have been turned down for jobs that they had done on holidays from University that they tried to come back to after they graduated.

It doesn't mean that you are bad at the job, it means that they saw someone who they felt performed better at interview, displayed more skills matching the job description etc.

I stand by my original advice of asking for feedback as becoming resentful of not being given a job (for reasons that may well be untrue) doesn't stand you in good stead for future interviews, and with tips on where you went wrong and what you did well, you will be able to learn from this experience.
    I'm not trying to be nitpicky or anything but how do you know that the exact reason you didn't get the job is because of health reasons?

yes i do, because i have been through the same thing before and i am not stupid, i know when people are lying to me, so dont tryand question me. of course that was the reason why would they hire someone that struggles to walk and suffers from mutiple long term conditions and disabilty when they can hire someone that can do all 6 days.

at least i am trying to get into work despite really struggling and in pain everyday, i dont want to be like loads of people and on benefits all my life
    yes i do, because i have been through the same thing before and i am not stupid, i know when people are lying to me, so dont tryand question me. of course that was the reason why would they hire someone that struggles to walk and suffers from mutiple long term conditions and disabilty when they can hire someone that can do all 6 days.

at least i am trying to get into work despite really struggling and in pain everyday, i dont want to be like loads of people and on benefits all my life

As what betsy said, you do not know this is the case unless you have been told explicitly that this was true. They may have hired someone who can do all 6 days, they may have had 100 applications since the ad appeared and have chosen 6 people to do one day a week each. You simply do not know. Feedback will help you as you can then learn from this experience and take any advice forward to a different job.

FWIW, I had a job interview recently that I didn't get. I am convinced that they knew who they were going to appoint prior to the interview but me throwing my toys out of the pram about it isn't going to get me that job. I have had to chalk it down to experience and look for something else.

It's great that you are trying to get back into work, don't get me wrong, but you cannot second guess reasons for not getting work. Maybe you need to look at other lines of work that may suit your needs more instead of jobs that require you to be on your feet all day? Just another idea.
    you might want to be quiter, no way in hell do i have a attitude problem unless someone pisses me off

Like when they don't give you a job, perhaps?
    and what gives you the right to say that when you know nothing about me or my health

Well, firstly, you posted on a discussion board. So, it was open to anyone to comment.

Secondly, I said "based on what I have read here", which suggests that my opinion is based on... well... what I have read here. During this thread you have accused someone of not giving you a job because of your health. All you have is a suspicion (apparently) and TBH it sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about how people might treat you on the basis of your health.

That may be based on experience, it may not, I don't know. What I do know, though, is that you cannot go around assuming that when something doesn't go your way then it is because of your health and not something else. A few years ago that type of approach was referred to as "playing the race card" because people used to claim that the reason they didn't get something was because of their skin tone.

Sometimes they were correct but, funnily, enough, it was often because there was someone better.
    and stop saying i dont know why, i do she told me

I know, I read your OP. You said then that "just heard today that i did not get it because she said she could not offer me any shift". No mention of health in that at all. Only you have added in that aspect.
    MoK wrote: »

Well, firstly, you posted on a discussion board. So, it was open to anyone to comment.

Secondly, I said "based on what I have read here", which suggests that my opinion is based on... well... what I have read here. During this thread you have accused someone of not giving you a job because of your health. All you have is a suspicion (apparently) and TBH it sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about how people might treat you on the basis of your health.

That may be based on experience, it may not, I don't know. What I do know, though, is that you cannot go around assuming that when something doesn't go your way then it is because of your health and not something else. A few years ago that type of approach was referred to as "playing the race card" because people used to claim that the reason they didn't get something was because of their skin tone.

Sometimes they were correct but, funnily, enough, it was often because there was someone better.

I know, I read your OP. You said then that "just heard today that i did not get it because she said she could not offer me any shift". No mention of health in that at all. Only you have added in that aspect.

well i asked her later on and she said he didnt think i would be up to the job, and i know lots of people that get discrimation or looked down because of thier conditions or disabilty, and you can comment about it unless you have been through it, and i dont think you know more then me what it is like to live with it and put up with discrimation and people looking down at us thinking they are better, and there is no way i have a chip on my shoulder as i am never angrey, and i am talking from experiance as been through it before
    MoK wrote: »

and i dont have a attuitude problem when people dont give me as i not even bothered about and knew i could not do it that well, i get angrey when people going around having a go at me for reason and thinking they know me and know what is like to live with these conditions
    and i dont have a attuitude problem when people dont give me as i not even bothered about and knew i could not do it that well, i get angrey when people going around having a go at me for reason and thinking they know me and know what is like to live with these conditions

Well the main thing for you to consider here, is that you didnt mention at first that you actually had confirmation that your health was the reason.

Also from what you have said in this thread (what I have quoted above) and the way you have reacted in this thread, I do think you have a slight attitude problem. I'm not having a go at you here, but when you appear to be snapping at people earlier in the thread when it appeared it was just your opinion why you hadnt got the job, then that tells me too.

From looking at what you have said, nobody actually knows how you deal with your conditions or what it is like to live with, so in theory you are saying you are ready to have a go at everyone.

If you had mentioned first thing in the thread that you had talked to the women about it, you may well have had a different response. People in here are generally here to help and offer advice, and also sometimes help people see the wider picture incase they are solely focussed on one view point. What you get out of thesite is what you put into it, and if you sometimes react the way you have, no wonder someone has suspected you have an attitude problem.
    and i dont have a attuitude problem

I'm going to go straight in here with a DING DING DING on the B/S meter.

You clearly have some sort of attitude problem or complex, Whilst I sympathise with you regarding your disability and I wish you all the best for the future.

However, regarding the job it seems you have no reasonable evidence apart from "I KNOW" that they dismissed your interview for disability purposes. If you have any proof they did then I suggest you take it to an employment tribunal/court etc, except, lets me honest, you'll get laugh out of the door. They simply found someone who was better than you for the job, How do you know there was not a better candidate? eh?

Sorry but your comments and even your attitude stinks, people here are offering you advice and support, and you don't give a crap about it, your just bitching at everyone about it.

Yeah thanks. My point has been proven in one simple quote.

Personally I find it a little weird that you only claim that she told you this was the reason once someone picked you up on it. Until then it was just about her not being able to offer you shifts.

I *know* that living with LTC is hard, I work in health for a living and I see it everyday. What is simple for most people to achieve is harder for you, and yes you will often find that doors of opportunity are closed in your face because people are scared of how this might affect them.

However, that doesn't mean that this is the only reason why people react to you in a certain way.

I haven't picked you up on you disability. I've picked you up on your attitude, as have others. Maybe you should consider that - it's something where you have control and its also something which is likely to put off potential employers.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hello,

I just wanted to chip in and say that I think this thread has taken an unfortunate turn.

If we go back to Sinead's first post then it's clear that she was feeling upset and frustrated after not getting the job and that she was simply venting her disappointment. I'd also go as far as to say that she was feeling low in self-esteem about the situation. Overall, I think that regardless of whether or not there was a health element to the decision on her not getting offered the job, it's important to try and recognize people's feelings when responding to them with advice. If someone is feeling low then there's a good chance they will be feeling defensive at that point in time and so to then label them as having an attitude problem in general is unkind and not really justified. By all means, be completely honest in your opinions, but at the same time, remember that there's a person with feelings at the other end of the screen.

Sinead, I'm not sure if you've used askTheSite before - but this is a careers & study section that you may find helpful to try out:
    http://www.thesite.org/community/askthesite

I hope you're OK.

Take care. :)