Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

what to do...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
so ive been self harming for over a year, and after months of counselling and help etc i know it'll take a veeery long time to stop.
my step dad knows about it and is relatively ok with it but i dont know if i should tell my mum - shes rather...unpredictable and will either be ok with it or explode :shocking:
i feel that i should tell her though because im tired of having to wear loads of bracelets around the house, uncomfortable etc and it would be worse if she found out before me telling her :impissed:
does this make any sense?
and i dont know what the reactions might be...
any ideas???
x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well done on getting help. That's the first big step.

Whether or not to tell your mum is a decision you need to makr. However i ahree its better than her findng out accidentally. Do you believe your mum knowing will help aid your recovery?
    If you tell her she can help you through it and give you the support you need for it. It will be hard because it's always hard when someone you love is hurting themselves, but she'll accept it and be able to help you, no matter how 'unpredictable' she may be.

Could you talk to your step-dad about telling your mum, ask him to be there with you when you do it? It seems so scary now, but it'll be so helpful to you to stop - which you want to do as you've started getting help, well done on that btw :)

Good luck :)
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Do you believe your mum knowing will help aid your recovery?

i have no idea..i asked my counsellor and she said she will probably be really shocked etc and the take me to my GP as soon as she can...or make things even more stressed...i dont know anyone who has ever really been in this situation so i dont really know what to do :confused:
    oh, and thank you Bleepy :)
    Well, for one do not stop going to counciling, and two go on anti-depressants...it helps dramatically....and for three you have to tell your mom!! If she knew how it was, then she would not blow up...your her daughter...
    Well, for one do not stop going to counciling, and two go on anti-depressants...it helps dramatically....and for three you have to tell your mom!! If she knew how it was, then she would not blow up...your her daughter...

counselling sucks but yeah i guess i should keep going. i mean, if i don't go then the lady finds me in class and thats just embarressing!!
    and im kinda nervous if i do go on anti-depressants becuase [and i know this sounds really stupid] i don't know what to expect, will i be like...high 24/7?? arn't they addictive or something? i have noooo idea :confused: and yeahh i think i might tell her when she has the day off work or something, because what's the worse that could happen right?
    thank you :)

Really... wow... I'm sorry but anti depressants aren't always the answer... its very nieve $or you to say they work wonders... whilst ill say it may, depending on the situation, be worth trying.. a blanket statement saying they work wonders is very bold and foolish, if jot dangerous..
    Hi maisyy :wave:

Well done on coming so far, as you can see anti depressant's and the choice to medicate or not in general is a very personal decision! What you're doing seems to be working for you.

As for telling your mum again it really is your choice, I think it's good to be mindful that she will probably go through a range of emotions. As your counsellor said she will probably be shocked and this is something you'll have to be prepared to support her with but you can reasssure her and inform her of the steps you've taken already?!

Good luck making the decision,

dp :heart:
    dollypop wrote: »
    Good luck making the decision,

dp :heart:

thanks dp (and everyone else) ive decided that im not going to tell her because im worried that it will be like...on my medical record forever when she takes me to the GP and i dont really want more people worrying....kinda tired of being called a dirty little emo etc. so i think im just gonna stay quiet for now.
    thank you anyway

x