Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tolerance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There was a crazy old man on the bus today, he just about made it upstairs, waved his stick at everybody, mumbled incoherently to himself in his native tounge (Some kind of African i think?) and sat down near the top of the stairs, he was a bit aggresive and tapped a couple of people, what got me was everyones tolerance, sitting there as if nothing is happening, i was fuming and had adrenaline pumping through me but i was staying calm as he hadnt directed anything at me (although the loud shouting was pissing everyone off) , and he was an old man so im not going to hit him, but the thought of restraint or dragging him off the bus crossed my mind.

This went on for a while, then a beautiful girl in gym clothes got up and walked down the stairs and he leant over and spat at her, nobody did shit, a couple of people gasped but that was it. Everyone went back to looking ahead!

After the bus pulled off i went down and asked the driver to call the police cos there is a mad man upstairs assaulting people with his stick and spitting at people, he didnt seem very cooperative but he called it through and waited for police.

I understand people dont want to get hurt and like staying out of harms way but its surprising how many people will just sit down and take it, the thoughts that go through some peoples mind are, will i get in trouble if i drag him off the bus and he brakes a leg or something, if i had it my way people like that would be put down anyway, he was sucking and licking his walking sticks end in a derranged fashion and stroking it like a teddy bear... crazy :confused:

Comments

• Options
    I think a lot of the people who had things done towards them might well have thought that reacting, may well have been what the old guy was looking for, and wanted to avoid further inflaming the situation.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If I was there I'd probably have done nothing because sometimes with people like that, reacting to them causes bigger troubles than letting them do their things.
    If he'd crossed the line (the line I define by myself, that is) and (for example) had actually attacked someone, I wouldn't have still been indifferent though.
  • Options
    Yeah, your both absololutely right, he just made me angry, its frustrating having to deal with danger when were posing no danger ourselves isnt it...

He had obvious mental problems, oh well, rant over!
  • Options
    I would have done something myself, but alas I tend not to take shit from anyone.. had enough of that to last me a lifetime.

You never said what happened. Did the police cone or what?
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Did the police cone or what?

I don't know what use a cone would have done :lol:

On a serious note, I'd like to know what happened after this too.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I don't know what use a cone would have done :lol:

On a serious note, I'd like to know what happened after this too.

Yeah... its useful to hit him. Lol na I'm at work on my phone...
  • Options
    There was a guy who lives not far from me, not sure if he is still alive, but would walk around the streets and hurl abuse at anyone, try to attack them or spit on them. He had a breakdown from shellshock, he just lost his mind.
  • Options
    disruptive people on the bus annoy the heck out of me
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've met several people on the bus shouting/telling nonsense. Most of them were funny afterwards, one of them scared me (he threatened the driver that he had a gun and would kill him and 2 other bus drivers that he had his eye on).
  • Options
    The majority of people just try to stay silent and comply instead being the center of attention. It sucks, and I am guilty of it too. Back in the days I still worked for the ambulance I'd just helped anyone in the middle of a busy street who seemed unwell/collapsing or with any other kind of medical emergency and I like to think that I am still more helpful than other people who rather just walk by and try to blank it out so they don't have a bad consciousness (what most people probably don't even have), but I am not even sure of that.

Unfortunately, if you decide to act on this (in your situation) it makes you look very stupid if the person is old (maybe has dementia) and black. Some people might insinuate you were just looking for reason to commit a hate crime.
  • Options
    I'd have gotten him in a massive headlock before performing the best DDT the world's ever seen. Then I'd have worked the crowd for a bit. I am a hero and WWE champ, though.
  • Options
    I'd have gotten him in a massive headlock before performing the best DDT the world's ever seen. Then I'd have worked the crowd for a bit. I am a hero and WWE champ, though.

I trust it, that you'd produce a metal folding chair out of fucking nowhere and give him a thorough shoot at his napper at first.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    I trust it, that you'd produce a metal folding chair out of fucking nowhere and give him a thorough shoot at his napper at first.

Naturally! Always making sure the chair incident happens while the referee is busy trying to settle a minor, off-camera argument. I am professional, after all.
  • Options
    Naturally! Always making sure the chair incident happens while the referee is busy trying to settle a minor, off-camera argument. I am professional, after all.

I feel like I should address you as MajCoatHanger, you are due a promotion from Captain to Major by now?
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I feel like I should address you as MajCoatHanger, you are due a promotion from Captain to Major by now?

I've been turning down promotions on alliterative grounds; a professional wrestler is nothing if not his name. And perhaps a clunky catch phrase: "I'm going to hang you like like those clothes I hung the other day".
  • Options
    I've been turning down promotions on alliterative grounds; a professional wrestler is nothing if not his name. And perhaps a clunky catch phrase: "I'm going to hang you like like those clothes I hung the other day".

Or
    "Do you want to play a game with my fist? It's called GAME OVER"
  • Options
    Ah, a stick licker, yes - put him down, best course of action.
  • Options
    crazies on public transport always sit next to me, i havent had any abuse though. they just tell me how to live my life and not to trust 'the man'. if i see someone kicking off i do tend to avoid staring just because eye contact can make them more aggressive and then they start on you. it's sad but it's safer.
  • Options
    crazies on public transport always sit next to me, i havent had any abuse though. they just tell me how to live my life and not to trust 'the man'. if i see someone kicking off i do tend to avoid staring just because eye contact can make them more aggressive and then they start on you. it's sad but it's safer.

I'll teach you some wrestling moves. We'll have you flying off the top ropes before you know it!
  • Options
    i'm currently avoiding staring at your username, i wouldnt wanna aggravate you :p
  • Options
    I'll teach you some wrestling moves. We'll have you flying off the top ropes before you know it!

Don't you love the imagination of little rachael powerslaming an elderly alzheimer patient through the side window? How exciting.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Don't you love the imagination of little rachael powerslaming an elderly alzheimer patient through the side window?

And dressed as a pumpkin :D
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    There was a guy who lives not far from me, not sure if he is still alive, but would walk around the streets and hurl abuse at anyone, try to attack them or spit on them. He had a breakdown from shellshock, he just lost his mind.

Its the fact that this sort of thing happens which makes me worry about the lack of compassion for people with mental health problems - which is what the guy on the bus might have had.

Let's all laugh at the nutjob?

:( :no:
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    And dressed as a pumpkin :D

you and matt know me far too well :D