Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How to get into Accountancy helpp!?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:crying: Hi, based in Liverpool at the moment and tried so hard to get into Accountancy. I have applied to begin an AAT course but they are unable to take students on unless you are in an accounts based role. I currently have no experience in this role.

Has anyone ever been in this situation or known of anyone and have any tips of companies or things to do in order to get into the career I want? Thankyou x

Comments

• LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Sarah4 and welcome to the boards :wave:

Just thought I'd drop by and see if you have seen this article about accountancy on the TheSite? It might be a useful place to start, and has a case study of someone who is now an accountant.

Hope it helps :)

Laura
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    That article is partly bollocks.

Anyone who works in the City will know that CIMA is a bit of a joke amongst accountants. When she says that CIMA gives you the edge, that, I'm afraid is rubbish. The hierarchy of accountancy qualifications is thus:

ACA / ICAS
    ACCA
    CIMA
    Thanks Laura, I'll read through it now and thanks for your reply aswel Thunderstruck. Still if anyone has anything else to add please comment x
    Its strange that the college wont let you take AAT without any experience as its supposed to be an entry level qualification.

I got into accoutancy by getting a job working in an small companies accounts department and studying and expanding my work experience over the years.

Some areas (like bookkeeping for companies internally) is easier to get into then practice work, as a lot of places wont take on someone with no knowledge.

What sort of work/study have you done so far?
    Have you tried trying to get unpaid work experience to see if you like the work? Accountancy covers a lot of different areas and it might take a while to find what you like. I did work experience in a practise and hated it but really enjoy the work now.

(I'm a member of the AAT, currently studying for ACCA and work in practice)
    I know Ive questioned it myself but they want you in an accounts based role. Its so hard though =(, yeah I'm starting a new job in Santander I will ask if I can do voluntary work in their admin dept or anything and gain experience that way just hope it works out for me it's all i want to do. Thanks for advice =) x
    Hi Thunderstruck - thanks for your opinion, it's great to get advice from someone who has first-hand experience. We have flagged this article up with our editorial team who will take a look and update it if necessary.
    Hi Sarah4,

Just wanted to say good luck in your new role at Santander :). it's definitely worth speaking to your manager there about getting some experience in the accounts department, I am sure they will be pleased to help with your professional development.

Let us know how you get on!
    Hi, thankyou I will do just once I strike luck ha =) x
    Hi, just to update you I am very very excited =) I have been offered an interview with a company as a case handler doing admin work for a medical claims company! I am due to start a job with Santander monday which I will begin but my interview is Friday 5th, it is less pay but would you suggest I go for it anyway as it could be my way to get into Accountancy thankyouu for all your advice especially starting in admin! Anything I should know to say to help get the job? x
    I can't really see how that job would be more likely to get you into accountancy than the santander one as nearly all office based jobs seem to require a degree of administration. You might have more luck getting an internal transfer at Santander but i've no real idea.

If you don't have a degree and can apply for graduate jobs then my best advice would be to get an admin position in a small organisation and butter up the finance staff to see if you can take some of their work on.

Or go directly to finance recruitment firms - a lot of junior level finance work is just data entry for which you don't need an specific skills other than accuracy.
    What sort of education do you have already?

My bloke was/is working in accountancy and auditing and was hired when starting his masters degree in the subject. After getting in it's mostly about working your way up.

From what I've seen it's a bitch of an industry to be in and I've usually experienced my bloke more like a slave than worker. When he pees it's on his own time wheras in my job I get several 30+ min paid breaks throughout the day. ;) So be prepared to need to work a lot for not so interesting benefits initially.

My bloke worked at a practise and he hated almost every second of it. After 3-4 years he was confident in his work but he still hated his job. He's quitting now to pursue other venues in his field and he likens it to being let out of prison. ;)

I also think that the job you've already gotten is more likely to get you somwhere. General admin work isn't really relevant in this field. I think Wyetry has some good points for you. :)

Good luck!
    Hi Sarah4 :wave:
    Just thought I would drop by again and see how you new job at Santander is going? You haven't said what the role at Santander is and what you will be doing there? However, hopefully you will get a chance before your other job interview on Friday to find out/get a feel for whether there will be the opportunity to get any administration or accountancy experience if you stayed in this role?

Even if you do go for the interview on Friday and get offered the job remember you do not have to accept straight away, you can take a little time to think through your options and what is best for you before making a final decision.
    Hi everyone, just thought I would update yous as I said that the company phoned me this morning I got the jobbbb!!!!! :hyper:

I dont really think I will gain much experience for Accountancy in this role I agree with yous butat least its a 9 till 5 job and I will now be able to do my AAT course which is literally two minutes away and I willhopefully be on the first step to my career!!!! Thanks everyone for my advice been a brilliant help.
    Congratulations Sarah4 that's great news, well done and really glad it worked out for you. :yippe:
    LauraO wrote: »
    Congratulations Sarah4 that's great news, well done and really glad it worked out for you. :yippe:

Thanks LauraO :hyper: